Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does Cobb think they will be able to overcome Ford’s system encryption? With the introduction of the over-the-air updates Ford has really locked things down.
They haven't said yet, buy they're trying.
Sponsored

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm a 2 door manual or nothing kind of guy.
That said, I test drove a 2.3 manual badlands 4 door, and it was a turd until you got it "up on the pipe", so to speak. I think a conservative tune to reduce turbo lag will be just about necessary when I finally get my 2 door BaseManSquatch, but I think once we do that I'll be a happy squatcher.
I have had many jeeps, even a 4 cylinder non-turbo TJ on 33's, and even a 1.3L Samurai on 33's, and they were all at least 100 hp less than the Bronco, and some were miserable to drive on the road.
My current 1991 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 and a 5 speed, 4.10 gears and 35's is tolerable with its 180 or so HP.
A tuned 2.3 that STARTED with 270/300 hp will be fine, just need to address the low rpm lag. I've had several tuned turbo engines, including Subarus and VW Diesels, and have never had a problem until getting radical with things and breaking hard parts because I overdid it on torque vs. Grip in my TDI.
You just have to be reasonable and tune for drivability rather than all-out hulkamania type power. I'm cool with the stock hp numbers with the 2.3, I just need the torque to come on a little sooner, and that will mean getting a tad more fuel down low and getting that snail to spin a little earlier.
Shouldn't hurt a thing.

OP
OP
Ricepuddin

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why tune the OBX it's the family cruiser of the Bronco family. I have a OBX ordered and don't plan on off roading at all. We need 4x4 in Michigan to get us through the long winter driving. If your road isn't plowed then your stuck. Being stuck in the winter is no fun. With my Bronco I will be making $ pulling people out of the ditch.

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Until someone figures out how create the keys needed to flash the PCM, we are left in the dark. Every flash has to be digitally signed with a specific key that is pulled by Ford via a virtual "vault".

We'll see piggyback tuning before then and we'll probably have to send off our PCM's to be unlocked before flash tuning from a device is figured out.

Gamecock2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You just have to be reasonable and tune for drivability rather than all-out hulkamania type power. I'm cool with the stock hp numbers with the 2.3, I just need the torque to come on a little sooner, and that will mean getting a tad more fuel down low and getting that snail to spin a little earlier.
Shouldn't hurt a thing.
Are you able to get the 4.27 gearing on your 2 door order? I think that lower gearing will help with low end too.

OP
OP
Ricepuddin

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Until someone figures out how create the keys needed to flash the PCM, we are left in the dark. Every flash has to be digitally signed with a specific key that is pulled by Ford via a virtual "vault".

We'll see piggyback tuning before then and we'll probably have to send off our PCM's to be unlocked before flash tuning from a device is figured out.
Mustang, f150 and ranger all have hand held flashers available. What modern ford requires an ecu unlock or piggyback?

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Mustang, f150 and ranger all have hand held flashers available. What modern ford requires an ecu unlock or piggyback?
Tuning is unavailable for '21 F-150's due to the same issues as the Bronco. New PCM architecture. It's because of SYNC 4's integration with OTA updates. '21 Mustang and '21 Ranger do not have OTA capabilities.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You guys are aware Ford has a factory approved tune for the 2.3 the use for the ranger……..

OP
OP
Ricepuddin

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tuning is unavailable for '21 F-150's due to the same issues as the Bronco. New PCM architecture. It's because of SYNC 4's integration with OTA updates. '21 Mustang and '21 Ranger do not have OTA capabilities.
Damn that sucks , I thought I had seen Cobb say they had one but I must have been mistaken.

Either way they'll still make upgrade intercoolers at the very least.
You guys are aware Ford has a factory approved tune for the 2.3 the use for the ranger……..
.......... No shit........

Cobb also makes hard parts

Last edited:

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F250, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

as its not available yet I would bet it comes out in the next 6months.

all the tuning software companies are hard at work and if I had to guess working together to all make money.

I remember the days when people said the GTR would never have a tune on it. Or the ZR1, type-r etc etc. it takes time and money. The more vehicles supported under this key the more money companies will throw because the cost can be spread among the sales of multiple vehicles

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Damn that sucks , I thought I had seen Cobb say they had one but I must have been mistaken.

Either way they'll still make upgrade intercoolers at the very least.

.......... No shit........
Well everyone whining about the warranty just giving them an alternative

Cobb also makes hard parts
Sponsored