Mattbar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've got a leak in the other thread as well. It's not just you.

When does this usually occur? While parked or moving?

Level or slope?

When it is parked or slow-moving with heavy rain. Then a sudden angle change to either side.
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I diagnosed the entire issue but there is no way for me to show them because of insurance reasons.
The issue is that 502C52 can not handle the amount of water held by the red (can not see part number) gasket at the top of the windshield.
good detective work...are you thinking a larger drain line would resolve the overflow issue? Has Ford given you a sense of what their resolution might be?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks Flip. The issue is that 502C52 can not handle the amount of water held by the red (can not see part number) gasket at the top of the windshield.

When the vehicle is level, both 502C52's handle the water fine, but with a slight shift in angle to either side the water overwhelms either port and overflows the foam dam at the end of each side of the red gasket. Once that happens the water comes inside.
How big are the drain openings?

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't want to go into full FUD mode, but this has always been my overriding worry about buying the Bronco. I know Jeeps leak. I've never had high confidence that Ford could solve Jeep's problem, but I'm still crossing my fingers.

I live in Seattle and my Bronco will mostly likely live outside, so...
A big concern for me too. South Florida, parked outside. Wondering if it’s just best to wait for the MOD top.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wondering if it’s just best to wait for the MOD top.
OR....B7G. This seems like the kinda issue that had to surface in 2020, as they were testing pre-pros

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mattbar1

Mattbar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

good detective work...are you thinking a larger drain line would resolve the overflow issue? Has Ford given you a sense of what their resolution might be?
The drain ports are not at the end of the gasket. Yes, I think they are too small, but making them larger and doing nothing else will not resolve it.

Ford would not let me show them because of "insurance".

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1/4 to 3/8 inch.
You have pics? I just popped a soft top to see if there was something similar because the parts cat doesn't show the same set up.

Hmmmm, that's interesting. Part numbers for that seal on both tops is the same M2DZ-7803110-A.

These what we are calling drains?
Ford Bronco Water leaking from A-pillar airbag cover in heavy rain drain1

Ford Bronco Water leaking from A-pillar airbag cover in heavy rain drain2

Ford Bronco Water leaking from A-pillar airbag cover in heavy rain drain3

These are both about 50% blocked off with butyl sealer.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1/4 to 3/8 inch.
You have pics? I just popped a soft top to see if there was something similar because the parts cat doesn't show the same set up.

Hmmmm, that's interesting. Part numbers for that seal on both tops is the same M2DZ-7803110-A.

These what we are calling drains?

These are both about 50% blocked off with butyl sealer.

OP
OP
Mattbar1

Mattbar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yep those are the "drains".

And that is why I have been saying this is not a top issue. It will happen on all tops.

All you have to do is pour water in the channel with a water bottle and it will overflow.

The doors and windows have to be closed.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And that is why I have been saying this is not a top issue. It will happen on all tops.

All you have to do is pour water in the channel with a water bottle and it will overflow.

I know we are getting into the weeds but need to understand what happens in the overflow condition that it's finding a way down the A-pillar. After the foam "dam" is the end of the seal but there's a hole in the corner, that presumably drains down the front window seal to somewhere. Have you tried putting water just in that corner with the widow up to see where it goes?

Pretty certain there isn't a hose attached at the drain port because I can see metal below which means this must be some sort of trough and the hoses attach at the ends. I wonder if this is leading to a situation where there isn't enough positive ventilation and creating a hydro vacuum lock? We only have a couple soft tops but it's rained pretty hard a few times and have not noticed any interior leaking.

OP
OP
Mattbar1

Mattbar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Now that you have a clear picture.

Imagine a heavy rain filling up that gasket/channel with water. Let's say the drains are adequate on level ground.

If the channel is filled, and then there is a shift to one side or the other....the water will hit the foam dam and go past it. There is another secondary exit method past the foam dam but we are talking very small. (this is the one you just mentioned). Water easily is too much for that hole too.

Once the water is past the dam, it overflows into the interior eventually running down the plastic out the airbag area and down to the carpet and floor.

There should be more drains. The drains should be the entire width of the gasket. They should be at the end of the gasket before the dam, in addition, to where they are now.

Replacing the gasket with an identical gasket will NOT resolve this.

OP
OP
Mattbar1

Mattbar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I know we are getting into the weeds but need to understand what happens in the overflow condition that it's finding a way down the A-pillar. After the foam "dam" is the end of the seal but there's a hole in the corner, that presumably drains down the front window seal to somewhere. Have you tried putting water just in that corner with the widow up to see where it goes?
If you look closely at the small hole in the corner that you found...it connects to a port that comes out to the inside channel of the window gasket. It will run down this gasket and exit the vehicle.

OP
OP
Mattbar1

Mattbar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If you look closely at the small hole in the corner that you found...it connects to a port that comes out to the inside channel of the window gasket. It will run down this gasket and exit the vehicle.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's what it looked like but didn't want to dump water in the showroom to prove it. Need to find an opening so I can run my snake cam in and get some pics.
Sponsored