Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good PSA for those who have not driven a topless, doorless vehicle (Jeep or the like) as to what to expect.
Those of us who have think "Yep, it happens. Welcome to the dark side, buddy."

Some FYI for those who have not experienced this that adds to the video (be prepared you brave, adventurous off-road souls!!)

If you drive in that configuration you can expect:
-Water on the inside of the windshield.
-LOTS of air movement in funny ways that cause floormats to flop, water bottles to be caught in a vortex in the floorboard, hair to blow forward and in your face, stuff in the passenger seat take flight and go on undetermined paths.
-Wind to tug and lift at the outside perimeter of your shirt, exposing your flanks to sun, wind, paparazzi.
-Rain will absolutely hit a mesh top and turn one droplet into 38 finer droplets. Those will be dispersed according to wind currents mentioned in point#2. Most landing on you, the dash, and inside windshield.
-On trails, all of that muck, dust, grime, mud you see on the doors: It ends up on you. It ends up on the inside of the door jambs. It ends up in your vents. Cracks between seats, and the crevice of no-man's land there in your seat buckle button.
-Unattached/unsecured expensive sunglasses and car registration will fly out of the sun visor and end up gone forever.
-If you dip, prepare for it to become airborne as you try and get it from the can and into your mouth. It will end up in your lap, in the floor, in your eye. Do not wear khakis. FYI.
-Yes, if a bird decides to do the ole' #2 above you, it will hit you. But only AFTER getting the rain drop treatment your mesh top provides. Think on that one for a sec.
-In the mornings the inside of your windshield will have dew on it. Leave a few minutes of extra time while going to work for that.
-68 degrees feels like 40 in the mornings. Dress accordingly.
-It will be one of the funnest, most relaxing (most of the time) experiences you will have. Embrace the trade-offs and know going in that you are exposed and prone to all nature offers. This includes spiders and bees.
At the Off-Roadeo, I got booed and hissed (in a joking way) when I said I'd be wheeling with the doors and roof on. I was just like, "Okay guys..."
Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just a side effect of capacitive panels. They hate getting wet.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And so will the door handle lock/unlock feature when you are washing the bronco and the key is in your pocket.
This is common on pretty much every vehicle I think.

MoochMan

Badlands
First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BMW R9T Pure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
is it just me or was anyone wondering why he had a "Badlands" but didn't have the standard wash out floor under his Mats???

update* Dug deeper Rubberized flooring is removed with Leather add-on I believe*

CORREECT ME IF IM WRONG..

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yep, my touchscreen in the Jeep is the same way with the top off... Occasionally if we are out in a little rain, the droplets will hit the touchscreen and it gets wonky. Changes stations, switches to nav, etc. Just part of the game we play. ;)

Sponsored

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

-Yes, if a bird decides to do the ole' #2 above you, it will hit you. But only AFTER getting the rain drop treatment your mesh top provides. Think on that one for a sec.
It always seems to be a bird with the runs. I think they have me GPSed and targeted.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is there not a button to turn the display off? My grand Cherokee had one, pretty easy solution. Everything kept working, just no display lighting up.

Sponsored

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So nobody else does this? To change songs on Spotify, answer a text, etc?

Well...I feel alone and vulnerable.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My takeaway was the floor mats wanting to take flight with the doors off. I’m surprised they don’t have some sort of velcro on the back already or a clip in to hold them in place. Might be better to wait for weather tech mats. Those also looked really cheap like other people have commented before.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

and I have to ask .. does anyone throw water at their screen to see how it will react?
Really?
My phone (with a capacitive touch screen) always gets funky in the rain/wet.
I inevitably get work calls when I'm getting ready in the morning, so my phones (personal Pixel and an infernal iPhone for work) are always with me. At least a couple of times a week they get a couple droplets on them, with no discernable reaction.
Just lucky I guess.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably would be less of a problem without the mesh top. I'm sure it is causing all kinds of aerodynamic anomalies.
Sponsored