Sponsored

Weird tinny tail gate creaks? Made new extended bump stops!

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone yet had a tin sounding ticking sound coming from the back? I don't recall hearing it on the first couple drives... So after looking under the panels for a cable ticking somewhere I started messing with, shaking everything. No luck... Throught back to when I first started hearing the sound and it was right after I switched my spare to my zero offset spare in the back. Now the rubber bumper stoppers do not touch the tire. So I started gently wiggling them lately and was getting a very similar sound... they need to be 3.5" long... The are only just under 2"... Anyone know where to get longer ones? There's no real way to tighten these up. But they are easy to get out... Just wind out the plastic screw. Anyhow, I'll update in the morning when I drive to work to make sure this was it... Just incase others have gotten this sound!
Ford Bronco Weird tinny tail gate creaks? Made new extended bump stops! PSX_20210822_071945

****Update****
Here's my fix video!

Sponsored

Last edited:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco Weird tinny tail gate creaks? Made new extended bump stops! 1629943487147
Maybe it’s the chick from The Grudge?

Sponsored
OP
OP
SnowBronco

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
@NotApplicable - Didn’t you have a similar issue with a sound coming from the rear cargo door?
I do indeed, as discussed here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/gnarly-tailgate-rattle.20393/

I have not yet resolved it as I am out of town for a few months only being back for a couple days at a time

Last visit it was still there ;p. It’s plausible it could be related to the spare mount, though mine is stock sas and the rubber stoppers make good contact

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have not yet resolved it
Check the two latches at the top of the rear of the clamshell for noise. I’ve noticed with the clamshell suspended on its hoist that those hinges make noise when the rear window is shaken. My top isn’t on often, so I never noticed it otherwise, but may be something to troubleshoot, if you haven’t already (you probably have, tho).

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Check the two latches at the top of the rear of the clamshell for noise. I’ve noticed with the clamshell suspended on its hoist that those hinges make noise when the rear window is shaken. My top isn’t on often, so I never noticed it otherwise, but may be something to troubleshoot.
One of my hinges for the back glass does squeak when opening/closing but I’ve verified via having someone ride in the cargo area that the metal pinging sound is coming from within or outside of the tailgate itself.

Next visit I will have them ride back there with the rear window open to see if they can tell if it’s coming from closer to the outside than the inside, but it’s definitely from within or behind the tailgate itself

OP
OP
SnowBronco

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of my hinges for the back glass does squeak when opening/closing but I’ve verified via having someone ride in the cargo area that the metal pinging sound is coming from within or outside of the tailgate itself.

Next visit I will have them ride back there with the rear window open to see if they can tell if it’s coming from closer to the outside than the inside, but it’s definitely from within or behind the tailgate itself
So yeah, the rubber bumps stops with no pressure on them wasn't It.. clicking sound still there this morning. So after work I'm going to go find a solution to the short spare bumps stops and put some good pressure on them. Whether that be with a black painted wood rod with a rubber chair end cap on it or if I can find some rubber rod... Then put them back in and put the tire back on. Then re-test. Also going to to take the spare right off and see if that makes a difference. Cause now I feel that it may be the aluminum panel on the tailgate flexying and tinging due to the bump stops not supporting the tire. The reason I haven't gone off road yet with that tire on the back. I'll report back after work with a hopefully solution. Lol

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cause now I feel that it may be the aluminum panel on the tailgate flexying and tinging due to the bump stops not supporting the tire.
I'd almost put money on this being the culprit.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

just place a shim, something like a piece of 2x4 between the rubber bumper and the tire and see if the noise goes away. if it does get a hole saw and cut a shim the same size as the bumper and paint it black with some spray paint and let it ride...

OP
OP
SnowBronco

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep. You should get new bump stops ASAP
Yeah, agreed. This sound showed up pretty much exactly when I put my zero offset spare on the back. I never liked the bumpstops not touching so I haven't even hit a speed bump yet. Taking the spare off at lunch and putting it in the back till I get the bump stop thing resolved.

OP
OP
SnowBronco

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

**UPDATE**

Ok so I drove to the hardware store without the wheel on. Tin sounding click totally gone.... So I got some supplies and made some bumpstops extensions. 7 bucks and about 20 mins. Doing up a little video of what I did and how well it worked. I'll post it here when I'm done editing!
Sponsored