Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How come Toyota is behind when it comes to their powertrains and transmissions for their 4runner?

The platform has not been changed since 2010. On paper, the 4runner may lag behind in both power and fuel economy. Even the base 2.3 EcoBoost on the Bronco has better power outputs and potentially better gas mileage.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How come Toyota is behind when it comes to their powertrains and transmissions for their 4runner?

The platform has not been changed since 2010. On paper, the 4runner may lag behind in both power and fuel economy. Even the base 2.3 EcoBoost on the Bronco has better power outputs and potentially better gas mileage.

Thoughts?
I think Toyota was just going to let it run its course and maybe drop it like they did with the FJ. Then a funny thing happened. It got popular. A new one is under development. I’m curious if it will go back to its roots and have a removable roof.

Gear Head

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan XD Diesel Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Toyota missed a window several years back IMO instead of the FJ cruiser they should have revamped the FJ40 Land Cruisers Series or brought the 70 series into the states to compete with the jeeps..

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reserved 6G
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Toyota favors reliability and follows the mantra of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” They finally added LED lights to a decade old 4Runner.

I was actually in the market for one but the Bronco blew me away.

Sponsored
OP
OP

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Toyota favors reliability and follows the mantra of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” They finally added LED lights to a decade old 4Runner.

I was actually in the market for one but the Bronco blew me away.
Me too. Also, the EcoBoost reliability for both 2.3 and 2.7 are improving.

Reactions: jxc

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Toyota missed a window several years back IMO instead of the FJ cruiser they should have revamped the FJ40 Land Cruisers Series or brought the 70 series into the states to compete with the jeeps..
I’ve read that original idea for the FJ Cruiser was quite different than what made production. It was more FJ40.

Orangeinthebarn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 z71, 1992 bronco, 1977 F-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think Toyota was just going to let it run its course and maybe drop it like they did with the FJ. Then a funny thing happened. It got popular. A new one is under development. I’m curious if it will go back to its roots and have a removable roof.
4 runner will never have a removable roof again. If they ever reintroduce a fj it would have a removable roof. They clearly missed the mark with the last gen fj not having a removable top. It would have sold like hot cakes

the.nighthawk

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
toyota has had the same formula when it comes to their trucks and frame on SUV's for decades, if it aint broke and people still buy it, why fix it? They are worse than Jepp when it comes to those products

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Had a Limited before my JL. I don't think I ever once turned around as I was walking away to check it out. Capable. Dependable. And so, so, so, sooooooo boring. It's easily 5 years past a major upgrade or discontinuation.

Nate

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I feel for you on that. What a letdown. One thing I’ll give the FJ Cruiser. It came out during the bling era and man did it show. However, by the end of its run, there were some really nice versions driving around.

Ford Bronco Why is the Toyota 4runner "behind?" 1595387837836

Ford Bronco Why is the Toyota 4runner "behind?" 1595388023292

Ford Bronco Why is the Toyota 4runner "behind?" 1595388264053

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thoughts?
Toyota design change philosophy is incremental and cautiously prudent. It is nothing to do with the model or market segment.

This philosophy has some drawbacks, but it is also one of the major driving forces behind their reputation for reliability.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Toyota design change philosophy is incremental and cautiously prudent. It is nothing to do with the model or market segment.

This philosophy has some drawbacks, but it is also one of the major driving forces behind their reputation for reliability.
Yup.

People buy Toyotas because they are perceived as being reliable.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that you'd have less problems with a new 4 Runner than any other comparable vehicle. It's old. Tried, tested, and proven. It won't win too many shootouts on your favourite automotive media platform, but Toyota buyers don't care.

PortlandJo

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew, 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee North Edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thoughts?
Exactly this. We just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee for my wife. I don't think this model has changed since 2012. The dealer told me "why change it if it still sells and works well?". It was hard to disagree with that point.

The interior has gone through some updates and didn't seem out of date. My wife was thrilled with how it drove. We did look at the 4 runner and was surprised how out of date the interior seemed. I can understand they don't want to re-engineer the vehicle as a whole, but making changes to the interior seem like a simple redesign and change to the manufacturing process. Because of this, we stopped looking at Toyota.
Sponsored