redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@BAUS67 , are you saying that you do not think the M210 Dana front axle will not be enough for 37s?

I have seen 35's break a dana 44. just depends on how hard you are on it.
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like you know your stuff and....I dont. Sounds like there are a lot of factors to consider when increasing tire size, installing lifts, etc.

Yeah, sorry I don't post here during the day for the most part I am too busy at work.

HardenUp

First Edition
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Now that we know this is a 2ā€ lift with 37s...how do you guys think a 2ā€ lift with 35s would effect the look, off road performance, and the overall ride day-to-day?

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thereā€™s always a risk of breaking components but 37s were certainly part of the testing for the M210. 37s have essentially become the gold standard for off-road tire size.
Now I probably wouldnā€™t be the first to venture over 12.5 wide tires.
I wouldn't go to 37s while my Bronco were still under warranty or being paid for; just me.

I don't think Dana 44s can handle 37s. Seem far too many Wranglers break an axle on the trail with that tire size and no upgraded suspension. More than the axle, the gearing needs to be adjusted, and several other new suspension parts switched out.

I'm hoping ICON Dynamics releases a lift kit; them I trust the most, but we're talking $4000+, so I'm not likely to do this until year 4 of ownership when I am likely to take on Hell's Revenge in Moab and try the Rubicon on a long swing out West.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wouldn't go to 37s while my Bronco were still under warranty or being paid for; just me.

I don't think Dana 44s can handle 37s. Seem far too many Wranglers break an axle on the trail with that tire size and no upgraded suspension. More than the axle, the gearing needs to be adjusted, and several other new suspension parts switched out.

I'm hoping ICON Dynamics releases a lift kit; them I trust the most, but we're talking $4000+, so I'm not likely to do this until year 4 of ownership when I am likely to take on Hell's Revenge in Moab and try the Rubicon on a long swing out West.
Your confusing me, if 37s can fit with a cheap 2ā€ lift, and weā€™re concerned about blowing up the rear axle on 37s, whatā€™s the point of going higher and needing even larger tires?
Gearing certainly will need to be upgraded, seeing as the base 7 speed comes with 4.46 gearing I figure with 37s I would probably be well served to go to 5.13 or so.

Sponsored

highonthedesert

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Diesel
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The scariest part about this photo is that with a little more lift and some trimming, I bet you could squeeze 40ā€ tires on this bad boy. ?

1594780088596.jpeg
I was just about to post ........ these being 37's...... 40's are not far behind Talk about kicking Jeep's arse. WOW :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
In the Wrangler world, general rule of thumb for off-road capability is:

2 door on 33s = 4 door on 35s
2 door on 35s = 4 door on 37s
2 door on 37s = 4 door on 39s

A 2 door Bronco on Squatch 35s -or- 37s + 2" lift is going to kick ass.

Of course the 4-door longer wheel base has different advantages.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your confusing me, if 37s can fit with a cheap 2ā€ lift, and weā€™re concerned about blowing up the rear axle on 37s, whatā€™s the point of going higher and needing even larger tires?
Gearing certainly will need to be upgraded, seeing as the base 7 speed comes with 4.46 gearing I figure with 37s I would probably be well served to go to 5.13 or so.
Donā€™t think going higher needs bigger tires. I donā€™t find 37s to be necessary. Big tires are seen only here in the US. Africa, Australia donā€™t normally go over 33ā€.

I just like the high lift for safety on the trail. This for me will be on Sasquatch. Not concerned with looks, only serious need to crawl.

If anyone wants 37s, all good with me.

Make sense?

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Donā€™t think going higher needs bigger tires. I donā€™t find 37s to be necessary. Big tires are seen only here in the US. Africa, Australia donā€™t normally go over 33ā€.

I just like the high lift for safety on the trail. This for me will be on Sasquatch. Not concerned with looks, only serious need to crawl.

If anyone wants 37s, all good with me.

Make sense?
Oh I see,

Different tastes I suppose, I run 37s on my SUV with no lift and have thought about going to 38s. Iā€™m not big on lifts personally, more so when the tires appear smaller due to it.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh I see,

Different tastes I suppose, I run 37s on my SUV with no lift and have thought about going to 38s. Iā€™m not big on lifts personally, more so when the tires appear smaller due to it.
I'm going to be doing some real off roading here not mall crawling through Atlanta. Don't care much for the cosmetics. Only as little as possible and only as much as necessary is the motto.

To run 37s is a big commitment if you're going off road or want long term reliability.

BigLig

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the Wrangler world, general rule of thumb for off-road capability is:

2 door on 33s = 4 door on 35s
2 door on 35s = 4 door on 37s
2 door on 37s = 4 door on 39s

A 2 door Bronco on Squatch 35s -or- 37s + 2" lift is going to kick ass.

Of course the 4-door longer wheel base has different advantages.
So, in the Wrangler world, a lot of them go ā€œ+1ā€ in size (33s to 35s for example) with little to no real issues right? Yes, eventually it will cause normal items to wear faster, due to the increased mass, but not ā€œblow an axleā€ bad under reasonable conditions right?

Iā€™m really just wanting 37s max. I donā€™t rock crawl, but I do want to be able to explore some trails in the desert Southwest after I retire....

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm going to be doing some real off roading here not mall crawling through Atlanta. Don't care much for the cosmetics. Only as little as possible and only as much as necessary is the motto.

To run 37s is a big commitment if you're going off road or want long term reliability.
Not really, my SUV has a 14 bolt rear and a 9.25 front ring gear size, 37s and 38s are well within the scope of reliable off-roading.

Lifting a truck but not putting the requisite size tires on it isnā€™t just a cosmetic issue its making the COG higher without giving it the advantages provided by properly sized tires.

Minimum lift necessary to maintain COG while the largest size tire that can fit within those parameters puts you at a huge advantage.

Now for the Bronco 37s May be the max reasonable size, but I certainly wouldnā€™t want to be running 6ā€ of lift with the diffs still as low to the ground as a stock truck, that seems pointless.

Last edited:

highonthedesert

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Diesel
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So, in the Wrangler world, a lot of them go ā€œ+1ā€ in size (33s to 35s for example) with little to no real issues right? Yes, eventually it will cause normal items to wear faster, due to the increased mass, but not ā€œblow an axleā€ bad under reasonable conditions right?

Iā€™m really just wanting 37s max. I donā€™t rock crawl, but I do want to be able to explore some trails in the desert Southwest after I retire....
The JL Rubicon has 33ā€, but if you want 35ā€, you need a lift to not rub on flex. At least thatā€™s what I remember. Might be able to trim the fender flares and get away with it, Iā€™m not sure.

You donā€™t need anything much more than 4wd and good 32ā€ AT or MT tires out here unless youā€™re going to seek out extreme rock crawling in Moab or something. In that case, 35s are a good bet ā€” but 37s with f/r lockers, lots of armor, a spotter, and some skill will get you through most of the difficult stuff this side of buggy/extreme trails. Not really my thing, and the 35 MTs on my Power Wagon (f/r lockers) have gotten me through what I needed to get through, which is mostly mild, but occasional deep snow.

Remember with 37ā€ tires, they are heavy. Toyo MTs in 37 are about 75 lbs and the wheel will be about 35 lbs. Not something you want to be slinging around unless you travel with a group, and a buddy can help you change a tire. Unless of course, youā€™re pretty strong with no bad back, etc.

The jury will be out on how well the Broncos stock drivetrain can handle heavy 37s. Get those locked up in the rocks, and they can start breaking things fast.

BigLig

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The JL Rubicon has 33ā€, but if you want 35ā€, you need a lift to not rub on flex. At least thatā€™s what I remember. Might be able to trim the fender flares and get away with it, Iā€™m not sure.

You donā€™t need anything much more than 4wd and good 32ā€ AT or MT tires out here unless youā€™re going to seek out extreme rock crawling in Moab or something. In that case, 35s are a good bet ā€” but 37s with f/r lockers, lots of armor, a spotter, and some skill will get you through most of the difficult stuff this side of buggy/extreme trails. Not really my thing, and the 35 MTs on my Power Wagon (f/r lockers) have gotten me through what I needed to get through, which is mostly mild, but occasional deep snow.

Remember with 37ā€ tires, they are heavy. Toyo MTs in 37 are about 75 lbs and the wheel will be about 35 lbs. Not something you want to be slinging around unless you travel with a group, and a buddy can help you change a tire. Unless of course, youā€™re pretty strong with no bad back, etc.

The jury will be out on how well the Broncos stock drivetrain can handle heavy 37s. Get those locked up in the rocks, and they can start breaking things fast.
The JL Rubi can go 35 w/o lift and not rub, barely. 37s w/a 2.5 MC or RK lift really easy.... but the catch in that is the gears 99% of the time. The 4.10s wonā€™t use 8th in the auto, 6th in the manual. At a minimum, 4.55s will get those gears back, while 4.88 gets you better RPMs at most speeds.
A lot of the folks a doing builds went 5.13 ā€œfor the rocksā€. Donā€™t remember how that all turned out.

did a lot of reading/research on deployment lol

BigLig

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not really, my SUV has a 14 bolt rear and a 9.25 front ring gear size, 37s and 38s are well within the scope of reliable off-roading.

Lifting a truck but not putting the requisite size tires on it isnā€™t just a cosmetic issue its making the COG higher without giving it the advantages provided by properly sized tires.

Minimum lift necessary to maintain COG while the largest size tire that can fit within those parameters puts you at a huge advantage.

Now for the Bronco 37s May be the max reasonable size, but I certainly wouldnā€™t want to be running 6ā€ of lift with the diffs still as low to the ground as a stock truck, that seems pointless.
Where in OBX are you?
Sponsored