Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry if this is not the right place on the forum, figured it's closer than general talk, feel free do move.

I've only ever used CB radio to communicate between cars on vacation and work around the house, but for my adventures I want to install a GMRS radio and just applied for the license today.

But is there info somewhere regarding rules, what to do and what not to do, is there a particular channel for emergencies, things like that? I so far don't know anyone with such a radio but since I'll be out on photo safari alone quite a bit I want to have all communication options I might need, I'll also get a satellite communication device.

Are certain channels "for truckers only", things like that, I don't want to irritate other users by being on the wrong channel, but I also don't want to be lost in the wild and lost in frequencies :)

I tried google, but the results are a bit overwhelming, I don't want to write a dissertation about this, just want to learn how to best use it. I figure it'll also be handy in case of wildfire or earthquake when all cellphones will be bricked from power outages etc. I just don't want to make mistakes or sound like some moron that "learned" from a movie or something.

Thanks for any links or info you can share, might be helpful for other radio newbies as well.
Sponsored

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry if this is not the right place on the forum, figured it's closer than general talk, feel free do move.

I've only ever used CB radio to communicate between cars on vacation and work around the house, but for my adventures I want to install a GMRS radio and just applied for the license today.

But is there info somewhere regarding rules, what to do and what not to do, is there a particular channel for emergencies, things like that? I so far don't know anyone with such a radio but since I'll be out on photo safari alone quite a bit I want to have all communication options I might need, I'll also get a satellite communication device.

Are certain channels "for truckers only", things like that, I don't want to irritate other users by being on the wrong channel, but I also don't want to be lost in the wild and lost in frequencies :)

I tried google, but the results are a bit overwhelming, I don't want to write a dissertation about this, just want to learn how to best use it. I figure it'll also be handy in case of wildfire or earthquake when all cellphones will be bricked from power outages etc. I just don't want to make mistakes or sound like some moron that "learned" from a movie or something.

Thanks for any links or info you can share, might be helpful for other radio newbies as well.
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/personal-radio-services-prs-keeping-touch

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For just use it communication s GMRS is hard to beat. It does require an FCC license. Currently $70 for 10 years covering entire family. (Will be dropping to $35 at some point maybe 2022). Great for trail communications. Can be compatible with license free FRS walkie talkies.

The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a licensed radio service that uses channels around 462 MHz and 467 MHz. The most common use of GMRS channels is for short-distance, two-way voice communications using hand-held radios, mobile radios and repeater systems.
Amatuer Radio Service (akaHam Radio) is a much larger category of capabilities from trail communications to long distance emergency comms, satellites, off grid email, etc... etc... This is a great tool and a huge Hobby in and of itself. There are multiple licensing levels involving exams. It currently is free (plus testing fees in many cases) but will be jumping to $35 at some point to match the GMRS license.

The amateur and amateur-satellite services are for qualified persons of any age who are interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest. These services present an opportunity for self-training, intercommunication, and technical investigations.

OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For just use it communication s GMRS is hard to beat. It does require an FCC license. Currently $70 for 10 years covering entire family. (Will be dropping to $35 at some point maybe 2022). Great for trail communications. Can be compatible with license free FRS walkie talkies.
thanks, yes, that's what I went for, HAM radio is interesting, but I really don't need an other (probably expensive) hobby right now.

Now I'm mostly looking for info regarding channel use, for example is there on channel or more that are mostly used for emergency calls or do you just pick what ever channel doesn't seem crowded with others where ever you are? Mainly want to avoid making mistakes and going against "protocol", may that be official rules or "the way it is done here" rules.
I hope to join some organized rides too, when I'm sure they'll tell me what channel(s) to use, and maybe there are no set rules, I've only used CB on occasion when it was easier than dealing with cellphone or we were out of range along the coast etc.

Sponsored

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport (Wife), Bronco Badlands (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With many 4x4 clubs and even the Jeep Jamboree ditching CB due to the crappy coverage and moving over to GMRS... Personally, I plan on putting a nice GMRS rig, and probably a 2m/70cm Mobile ham rig in mine.. Waiting to take delivery of mine before I make the final decision on which radio(s) I'll be installing...

OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been looking at some of the GMRS from Midland, seem good quality and not too pricy. Trying to decide if a mobile (walkie talkie style) one might be better for my use of being out in the wild and hiking around to take photos. Or if the satellite communicator (limited to text) is enough for that, mount a fixed radio in the truck somewhere hidden. Their MXT275 looks like a good option, small box and all controls in the hand piece, all easy to hide/remove. I won't get into ham (yet) though, not going that remote plus the sat comm will be there too. I just like to have at least two systems that don't rely on cell signals when remote.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

GMRS is the way to go. Easy to acquire license, interchangeable with the FRS radios and with hard wired mobile units you can actually set up repeaters for extended range. The technology and clarity is night and day difference from CB’s.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been looking at some of the GMRS from Midland, seem good quality and not too pricy. Trying to decide if a mobile (walkie talkie style) one might be better for my use of being out in the wild and hiking around to take photos. Or if the satellite communicator (limited to text) is enough for that, mount a fixed radio in the truck somewhere hidden. Their MXT275 looks like a good option, small box and all controls in the hand piece, all easy to hide/remove. I won't get into ham (yet) though, not going that remote plus the sat comm will be there too. I just like to have at least two systems that don't rely on cell signals when remote.
I was gonna recommend the midlands. Great choice.

Sponsored

krawl on

Badlands
First Name
PETE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mustang supercharged
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you get a GMRS radio you still need the guy on the other end to also have a GMRS radio. Right? Or are you just talking to yourself?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Be careful, Karen is out there looking for everyone who dares to use a Bao-Fang UX5R or F8HP for GMRS. ;)

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Be careful, Karen is out there looking for everyone who dares to use a Bao-Fang UX5R or F8HP for GMRS. ;)
I use em, good luck finding me using them either. I've rarely come across anyone else talking on the channels I use so I can't be causing too much chaos. If I were in a popular/populated area I wouldn't hesitate to get a license.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I use em, good luck finding me using them either. I've rarely come across anyone else talking on the channels I use so I can't be causing too much chaos. If I were in a popular/populated area I wouldn't hesitate to get a license.
They are pretty cool budget radios (especially the F8HP).

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Before you spring for an MXT275, it's worth noting that Midland has a 50-watt version (MXT575) coming out supposedly next month.
Sponsored