greybrutus61

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i had a 2010 taco with 4 cylinder manual that made the clutch smoke when i drove in the mountains or pulled a small trailer. On the other hand i also have a 1993 F150 that has had 1 clutch replacement and has 270,000 miles. I want the ford manual !

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just arrived at the Austin Off-Roadeo and asked about getting a manual transmission to drive. Apparently all the MT Broncos have been returned to Ford with clutches burned out.

The staff said that too many people attending didnā€™t really know how to drive a stick and kept burning the clutches up. But it makes me wonder if the clutch needs improvement?
Yeah I was disappointed when I got there last month and found out that they sent all of them back. However my instructor said that 100% if you are even thinking about getting MT to get one because he said it was an incredible machine.

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I missed it, did anyone say how much a clutch job runs? I'm going to be teaching 4 newbies in mine, and fully expect to have the clutch replaced sooner than normal. Just want to have a plan for when the inevitable happens.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have many more miles on a manual transmission than on an automatic.I never wore a clutch out.Over 300,000 miles on one of those vehicles.
Did they give participation awards to those that drove manual transmission Broncos?

Sponsored
OP
OP
P52Ranch

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have many more miles on a manual transmission than on an automatic.I never wore a clutch out.Over 300,000 miles on one of those vehicles.
Did they give participation awards to those that drove manual transmission Broncos?
They should have had @CO-Bronco design a sticker with a big cigar and an ā€œI smoked the clutch at Off Roadeoā€

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my opinion, MT is not the best choice for off-roading. Doubly so in the Bronco with trail turn assist.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
In my opinion, MT is not the best choice for off-roading. Doubly so in the Bronco with trail turn assist.
Depends on the off roading. I have an auto and a manual Jeep, the manual does better on the trails I do and is more fun to wheel

Rambler

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜04 Silverado, ā€˜97 Wrangler, ā€˜65 Norton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Trail turn assist being included with the automatics is probably going to lead to a lot of torn up dirt roads.The manual has always been my choice for driving, wherever that might be.

Sponsored

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This thread is baffling. People saying a manual can wear out fast off road if you "don't know what you're doing" and saying Toyota clutches wear out fast is just incredulous to me. I put 260,000 miles on my 4Runner, between me and my wife driving it, sold it with the original clutch. lot of off road, on mining roads out west, through deep rivers, up steep mountain gravel hills. Not sure if I knew what I was doing or not, not really sure HOW you'd NOT know what to do. Current Mazda 3 has 240,000 original clutch. B2000 had 200K plus - original clutch. The only manual I ever had to replace a clutch in was my SHO Taurus, and one time it just was a broken linkage. Other time was worn, about 150,000 miles. Whoever said the manuals are being worn out after a few hundred miles at a off rodeo, is blowing smoke.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This thread is baffling. People saying a manual can wear out fast off road if you "don't know what you're doing" and saying Toyota clutches wear out fast is just incredulous to me. I put 260,000 miles on my 4Runner, between me and my wife driving it, sold it with the original clutch. lot of off road, on mining roads out west, through deep rivers, up steep mountain gravel hills. Not sure if I knew what I was doing or not, not really sure HOW you'd NOT know what to do. Current Mazda 3 has 240,000 original clutch. B2000 had 200K plus - original clutch. The only manual I ever had to replace a clutch in was my SHO Taurus, and one time it just was a broken linkage. Other time was worn, about 150,000 miles. Whoever said the manuals are being worn out after a few hundred miles at a off rodeo, is blowing smoke.
Any manual clutch can be blown out in short order with an idiot(s) driving it(especially off road). Youā€™re an experienced manual tranny driver. Big difference.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've just never seen a clutch worn out or "blown" from a newcomer learning to drive one. But I've only been watching people drive them for 40 years or so. Give me another 25 years and I'll get back to you.

Last edited:

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depends on the off roading. I have an auto and a manual Jeep, the manual does better on the trails I do and is more fun to wheel
I had manual off road vehicles in the past, and they were perfectly capable, but I prefer an auto as itā€™s easier to modulate at low speeds using the brakes/accelerator at the same time on tougher obstacles. Itā€˜s not impossible with a clutch to do the same but not as easy. A couple features on the Bronco that are only available with the AT made it a no-brainer for me.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're entitled to your opinion. For 99.995% of what I will use my Bronco for, I will have maximized my enjoyment of selecting my own gears. For that 0.005% of the time, I'll struggle through and ruefully think of your opinion. Or not.
Sponsored