First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So far, there have been several documented cases of this type of leak. I'm just curious what dealers have done, so far, for others wit this issue.

I have a leak on and it is coming out the passenger A-pillar. I took it to the dealer last Monday 8/30/21 and it turns out that they sent it to a local company that does aftermarket sunroofs and convertibles, as well as leak diagnosis, to try to determine where/how the water is entering. So far, no news, but I will update with any news I get.
Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just adding my experience as well… heavy rain - leak on driver side.
3109095C-723B-4868-9A5C-0609F47A8640.jpeg

2B0F8A8E-727F-4C35-95D7-EE503BE57452.jpeg

2FA07F13-16DD-4A59-B672-DF7BF56FD3FC.jpeg
Noooooooooooooooo

Hopefully they have a solution for this before I move back to the rainy PNW!

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm really too lazy to read all 19 pages of this thread. Someone who has read it all: Is this just showing up on the MIC tops, or is it the soft tops as well?

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm really too lazy to read all 19 pages of this thread. Someone who has read it all: Is this just showing up on the MIC tops, or is it the soft tops as well?
The flawed design seems to only allow the leak to occur when the hard top is mounted. But vehicles sold with soft tops have the same root issue, they are just asymptomatic until equipped with a hard top. As far as I can tell from this thread.

c2one

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The flawed design seems to only allow the leak to occur when the hard top is mounted. But vehicles sold with soft tops have the same root issue, they are just asymptomatic until equipped with a hard top. As far as I can tell from this thread.
I agree. I’ll just add, in my opinion, rain like testing has not been tested on a soft top. High pressure water testing is not equal to heavy down pour. The failure in design is the lack of capability to handle large amounts of water - not necessarily water applied at high pressure.

It seems that the issue is more prevalent when the vehicle is sitting at a stand still vs in motion.

that’s my take away from this thread.

that’s not to say no softies haven’t been in heavy rain - just that I haven’t seen it reported where a softie sat in rain for an extended amount of time. Unless I missed it.

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep those are the "drains".

And that is why I have been saying this is not a top issue. It will happen on all tops.

All you have to do is pour water in the channel with a water bottle and it will overflow.

The doors and windows have to be closed.
Can you send those pics of the drain tubes tweet them to mike Levine or someone high up in ford so this problem gets taken care of

redstarn

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We sure would like your water problem resolved , and now maybe mold in there to wherever water went .
We have a hard top no leaks as of now , but never know , would yours be a soft top ?
How do we find out the day of manufacture and month ?

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree. I’ll just add, in my opinion, rain like testing has not been tested on a soft top. High pressure water testing is not equal to heavy down pour. The failure in design is the lack of capability to handle large amounts of water - not necessarily water applied at high pressure.

It seems that the issue is more prevalent when the vehicle is sitting at a stand still vs in motion.

that’s not to say no softies haven’t been in heavy rain - just that I haven’t seen it reported where a softie sat in rain for an extended amount of time. Unless I missed it.
Why don’t ford just issue the recall now a nd delay the inevitable

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sure how many here have previously owned a convertible top vehicle, but news flash, at some point water will find it's way into the interior. It's just what happens with a convertible.

To expect otherwise is being unrealistic.

stuston

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, 7.3L Excursion, Multiple TDI's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My soft top has been in heavy rain with no issues. Both parked and while driving. Granted, "Heavy" rain may be somewhat subjective, but we're talking about wipers on high, still could barely see. I believe this issue has to do with the Hard Top not sealing properly to the leading edge above the windshield, and the weeping drains being overwhelmed.

Not sure how many here have previously owned a convertible top vehicle, but news flash, at some point water will find it's way into the interior. It's just what happens with a convertible.

Amen.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just an idea, but back when I was trying to find a leak in my old Jeep I read about a trick. Lightly dust your weather stripping with baby powder and then pour a bunch of water on the car, ideally until you see the leak. Then when you look at the weather stripping you should see the baby powder missing/wet/etc wherever the water is getting in.

Just a thought.

Shacky4

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just wondering if these leaks are from 4-door, 2-door, or both? Be nice to be able to narrow down the issue.

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Take the piece off. Run a garden hose against it. Find leak. Put some strip caulk where leak is. My super duty did this. Ended up being one of the clearance lights on top.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I have owned several Miata across multiple generations, not one of them leaked. Hard top, soft top, switching back and forth, etc. Same goes for my Ferrari F355. It didn't leak either, and believe me, on Guam it rained plenty hard to test it. It is BS to have that kind of leakage.
Sponsored