Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any problems removing the beauty ring bolts? Someone posted a week or so ago that he broke most of the bolts when removing them and they were expensive to replace. Btw, the black looks way better than silver and plan to do the same. This gives me the confidence to DIY.
no issue but used ratchet wrench to loosen first few turns then driver to unscrew quickly. Essentially the reverse putting back on. there were two stubborn bolts that I had to vaseline a little tightening back on.
Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

no issue but used ratchet wrench to loosen first few turns then driver to unscrew quickly. Essentially the reverse putting back on. there were two stubborn bolts that I had to vaseline a little tightening back on.
it is amazing what happens when you use a driver bit that fits. i have never stripped out a fastener with a proper fitting bit. if they feel stuck, a firm hit with a hammer to the driver will often do the trick to loosen it up.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When you sand/scratch them up before painting them, what is the goal? How much pressure are you applying and what are you trying to do? Thanks.

GreenMtnBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BadSquatch; 13 Wrangler JK; 04 Lifted Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Wildtrack will be arriving from dirt mountain with the black rings. I happen to like the silver ones. I will be looking to trade with someone. If anyone is in the greater Boston area with silver rings, I'll be looking to trade... I'd prefer to avoid having to get into shipping but if necessary then maybe... any takers?
I am in NY, have a build date of 9/27 (likely to be pushed) but travel up through Springfield to VT, could meet you around there once i actually have this thing - send me a PM

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I always thought the black beauty rings on the Wildtrack and FE looked better than the silver that I was forced to buy with the Badlands Sasquatch package. I decided my first project would be to paint them black, despite having no experience with paint and not being particularly handy, because of the following:

* The only beauty rings I've found from Ford accessories were red
* If I really messed it up I could replace them or eventually be able to buy the manufacturer black ones from Ford direct.
* I think matching the trim ring with the wheel color has a more utility less refined look that I dig.
* To us Bronco6g nerds, I will be the only 2021 Badlands Sasquatch Area 51 with black bead lock trim rings for the time being - differences being black ring with a carbonized grey grill, badlands badge, black door handles and matching gloss black wheel color. The Wildtracks have the black grill and color match door handles as far as I can tell?

1. bought scotch brite srubber to scuff up the silver rims: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-Brite-Stainless-Steel-Scrubbing-Pad-3-Pack-214C-CC/202511523

2. Behr black Paint + Primer

3. T45 Torx bit. (unbelievably despite having a variety of torx bit sizes in the Bronco toolkit it doesn't include this size): https://www.autozone.com/screwdrivers/driver-bit/p/duralast-3-8in-drive-t-45-torx-bit/864636_0_0

Here are the before and after. Super happy with the look.

AFTER:
IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9567.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9621.jpg
Have a normal bd but inmo for the sas that looks so much better

Sponsored

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Someone should def. make a silver to black ring swap forum. I would be down. Oklahoma Shitty here. My silver to Black if anyone wants to trade, will post back when i have them in hand.

OP
OP
luptanpitman

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone should def. make a silver to black ring swap forum. I would be down. Oklahoma Shitty here. My silver to Black if anyone wants to trade, will post back when i have them in hand.
I totally agree. I was looking for that too because it’s polarizing for sure which means there would be plenty of people happy to go either direction.

Jjt24

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Show. So pics when you do. 😊 I’m going to do the same with my velocity blue.
I'm getting mine powder Coated when I get my bronco probably late next year. Going cyber orange on the rings and tow points on the bumper. Found a local place that charges $20 per piece + powder cost.

Sponsored

bishop0577

Base
First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door base/sqatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Came out really well! I plan on doing the same. I strongly dislike the silver accent on the black wheel.

However, I would recommend others not use paint and primer combo to paint over the bare metal (if it is bare metal, not sure if its painted silver).

Paint and Primer combo is typically used to paint over existing painted surfaces where the adhesion is already known to be strong. There is no actual primer typically, as its just a thicker formulation of paint for better coverage.

Like I said though, if the ring is painted from the factory then this entire comment is moot.

Edit: Apparently the rings are epoxy coated, which is ideal. Better than primer. Scratch and paint is all you need.
Just curious as to what kind of rattle can paint you would suggest? I have shot motorcycle rims with rattle can appliance paint. Took a little more pressure to chip or scratch and easy to touch up. Is there a better product for this?

Vinny6G

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Love the black ring look. Had my rings powder coated and it came out great.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just curious as to what kind of rattle can paint you would suggest? I have shot motorcycle rims with rattle can appliance paint. Took a little more pressure to chip or scratch and easy to touch up. Is there a better product for this?
Go to your local body shop and they will mix the paint for you. Automotive quality paint and its really not very much money. You can buy a cheap sprayer to put it on yourself with very little practice. Thats the 'best' way I know of to do the job. You will need a top coat though.

If you want a faster solution, the epoxy paints (appliance paints) will be a very durable finish as well. This is probably where I'll end up to be honest, since this is an application that will get damaged repeatedly. Super cheap too. The Krylon is usually less than $10 a can. If you plan on off-roading, this is the cost effective solution as it will be easy to touch up over time. You can go for a more expensive brand but I dont see why.

I've done the body shop paint routine many times for custom paint for woodworking projects and custom guitar builds, but I feel its a bit overkill for this.

I'm by no means an automotive paint expert, but I do a lot of painting as a woodworker and the concepts are identical. Anyone is welcome to jump in here and correct me.