Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What are your thoughts on towing an Opus Air 4 (Op4)?

whatever trailer we get needs to fit in our garage. My wife likes the airy feel inside. I like that it’s rugged so we can do some off grid dispersed camping.

Ford Bronco Towing an Opus Air 4 (Op4) Trailer? F1EF7D5B-B12E-4432-BA78-6EC9AB4F29A7
Sponsored

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems a little heavy for weight specs. I would give it time till people have a better idea of how well the Bronco tows heavier weights.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

looks pretty close to max weight rating ,be careful how you load it up.but looks very nice
I've been looking at this little trailer by "Project offgrid" to put my rtt on,it's just under 900lbs
Ford Bronco Towing an Opus Air 4 (Op4) Trailer? POG trailer
Ford Bronco Towing an Opus Air 4 (Op4) Trailer? POG trailer

Last edited:

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should get the 4dr for the longer wheelbase for sure

OP
OP
Lainez

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

we have a 4door badlands reserved.

I keep seeing pictures of Op4 pulled with 4door wranglers. A 4door rubicon has a tow rating of 3500#. Makes me think that packaging bulky items in the trailer and dense items in the Bronco may work. Maybe keep to 55mph highway under all conditions.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lainez

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems a little heavy for weight specs. I would give it time till people have a better idea of how well the Bronco tows heavier weights.
I am a Grangetober reservation. At this rate I won’t see my Bronco until late 22 or MY23. Lol

silver lining I guess?

Bronco Don

Black Diamond
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it’s fine, we tow a 4,000 trailer with a Jeep years ago and it was great

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah... 3100 lbs dry weight is close to the max towing weight, so you'll have to be careful how to load it up. Only 400lbs to spare isn't a whole lot.

You'll probably end up having to load stuff in Bronco itself to compensate. And if you ordered a fully-decked out Badlands, you're going to have less than 1000lbs payload in the Bronco itself. Stick in 4 people who weigh ~180 lbs and you're down to ~250lbs or so left for your gear. Not much at all.

You could probably make it work, it'll just be close.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

That's a bad ass trailer. How much do they run?

OP
OP
Lainez

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a bad ass trailer. How much do they run?
They used to be around 23k. They are now generally around 32-36k depending on options. Hoping to see prices go down next year if supply chains stabilize and demand for RV/trailers decrease.

Sponsored

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

They used to be around 23k. They are now generally around 32-36k depending on options. Hoping to see prices go down next year if supply chains stabilize and demand for RV/trailers decrease.
Holy smokes! Well above my budget unfortunately. Looks real nice, though.

OP
OP
Lainez

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Holy smokes! Well above my budget unfortunately. Looks real nice, though.
they have some less expensive options. We are 4 sothis one would work well for us. My wife can’t do tear drop trailers unfortunately.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah... 3100 lbs dry weight is close to the max towing weight, so you'll have to be careful how to load it up. Only 400lbs to spare isn't a whole lot.

You'll probably end up having to load stuff in Bronco itself to compensate. And if you ordered a fully-decked out Badlands, you're going to have less than 1000lbs payload in the Bronco itself. Stick in 4 people who weigh ~180 lbs and you're down to ~250lbs or so left for your gear. Not much at all.

You could probably make it work, it'll just be close.
Does the tongue weight of the trailer count against the Bronco payload? If so, there’s less than zero overhead for gear in your scenario…

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the tongue weight of the trailer count against the Bronco payload? If so, there’s less than zero overhead for gear in your scenario…
Oh very good point... yes it does. So let me start over, because this actually gets way worse than I originally thought.

For a base 2.7L 4-door Badlands the maximum GCWR (gross combination weight rating) is 8840 lbs. Curb weight 5117, which means we have 3723 lbs left for payload & trailer weight.

Trailer by itself weights 3100 lbs dry. It comes with two 20 gallon water tanks, so lets assume both of those are filled--that's another ~335 lbs. And lets throw on a 20 lbs propane tank--355 lbs. That puts the trailer at 3,455 lbs without any additional cargo.

Which means you have approx 268 lbs for the rest of your gear, cargo, humans/dogs/etc. Even less than that if you got a Mid/High/Lux package, as the added electronics in those packages will add some weight.

So... uhhh.... yeah. Too heavy if you go strictly off of weight ratings.

EDIT: I just looked up the towing specifications again to make sure I was correct. Realized the max trailer tow on the 2.7L Badlands is apparently 3220lbs. So you can't even tow the trailer by itself when loaded up with water/propane if you stick to the numbers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lainez

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh very good point... yes it does. So let me start over, because this actually gets way worse than I originally thought.

For a base 2.7L 4-door Badlands the maximum GCWR (gross combination weight rating) is 8840 lbs. Curb weight 5117, which means we have 3723 lbs left for payload & trailer weight.

Trailer by itself weights 3100 lbs dry. It comes with two 20 gallon water tanks, so lets assume both of those are filled--that's another ~335 lbs. And lets throw on a 20 lbs propane tank--355 lbs. That puts the trailer at 3,455 lbs without any additional cargo.

Which means you have approx 268 lbs for the rest of your gear, cargo, humans/dogs/etc. Even less than that if you got a Mid/High/Lux package, as the added electronics in those packages will add some weight.

So... uhhh.... yeah. Too heavy if you go strictly off of weight ratings.
Damn.

thanks for the analysis. Really hoping they can tweak up the tow weights for next year, get the number closer to a 4R. I know people tow these with wranglers. Their main complaint seems to be engine power. Prefer Bronco over pickup, but this may add more weight on the con column.
Sponsored