BRNCONOW!

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150 XLT Super Crew Short Bed 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, I finally got to drive the Bronco. Took one out for 45 minutes yesterday. A few quick thoughts below. As reference, I drive a 2010 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 with the 5.4 V8. Also, I am a 7/15 res for a 2Dr BD, 2.7, Mid Pkg who was told I'll be a MY22.
  • Seating position and view over the hood similar to the F150. Cabin felt a bit narrower then my truck, but not by much. I've sat in Wranglers before and they always felt very tight and almost claustrophobic compared to my truck.
  • The 12" screen looks huge and the resolution is great. Bare in mind that I don't have a infotainment screen in my truck.
  • Played with the 360 cameras. Very cool. So much so that I hope that in 2022 that we get the High Package option on the Black Diamond. I would would get the 12" screen if an option, but not willing to bump up to the OBX or BL to get it.
  • The OBX has the black/roast leather interior. I'll try to put this nicely, eeeeeh...not my cup of tea. Nope.
  • The power seats were nice, but I'll be fine with the manual ones in the BD.
  • Like others, not sure why the analog speedo and the digital one. Don't need both. The analog speedo should be a tac instead. Or, maybe Ford will offer over the air updates to allow more digital layout options.
  • Other than above, I liked the interior. I did sit in a BD a few months back and really liked that interior colors and the MGV seats.
  • Test drive was on surface streets and highway. The 2.7 gets up and goes compared to my F150. when the turbos kick in I felt pushed back in my seat. I can assume the 2dr will feel even quicker. Plenty of power for me. I will be happy. Got up to 80-90 mph on highway with no problem. As others have said, the engine doesn't sound great, especially compared to my old V8, but that is not really an issue for my. I prefer performance over sound.
  • Tried Normal and Sport GOAT mode. In Sport it shifted to AUTO 4x4 and held the revs longer. Not needed on highway, but would be fun on back roads at fire roads.
  • Ride quality very similar to my F150. Felt planted at speed on highway no wobble or wander. Comfortable enough for me and what I expected. Was not expecting a lux SUV ride.
  • Cabin noise at highway speeds with the soft top was loud. But, I would assume a Wrangler with soft top would be the same. I don't think I would want a soft top only. I would like to test drive a hard top to see if it would be quieter. I suspect it will due to glass vs. plastic windows. I am sticking to my 2dr hard top.
  • I did roll all the windows down and opened the top. The open air drive was great. Not a convertible guy, but I can see having the option would be great. I know my wife will like it.

So, that is about it. loved the drive. The 2.7 will be awesome. Still 2 dr with hard top all the way. The waiting continues......
Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree- I got to drive a 2.7 Wildtrack for about 5 miles. I loved the performance of the 2.7. The tranny also shifted so rapid fast. It was very quick off the line- something I want and need with all of the stop lights here- have to keep up with traffic. My feelings and comments about the rest are pretty much the same. My test driver did not have leather though- it had cloth seats, manually adjusted. I thought they were more than fine. I did not find it loud with the soft top. Probably because I'm comparing it to my 97 Wrangler. Now that's loud.

swanjonson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2015 VW Golf SEL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I finally got to drive the Bronco. Took one out for 45 minutes yesterday. A few quick thoughts below. As reference, I drive a 2010 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 with the 5.4 V8. Also, I am a 7/15 res for a 2Dr BD, 2.7, Mid Pkg who was told I'll be a MY22.
  • Seating position and view over the hood similar to the F150. Cabin felt a bit narrower then my truck, but not by much. I've sat in Wranglers before and they always felt very tight and almost claustrophobic compared to my truck.
  • The 12" screen looks huge and the resolution is great. Bare in mind that I don't have a infotainment screen in my truck.
  • Played with the 360 cameras. Very cool. So much so that I hope that in 2022 that we get the High Package option on the Black Diamond. I would would get the 12" screen if an option, but not willing to bump up to the OBX or BL to get it.
  • The OBX has the black/roast leather interior. I'll try to put this nicely, eeeeeh...not my cup of tea. Nope.
  • The power seats were nice, but I'll be fine with the manual ones in the BD.
  • Like others, not sure why the analog speedo and the digital one. Don't need both. The analog speedo should be a tac instead. Or, maybe Ford will offer over the air updates to allow more digital layout options.
  • Other than above, I liked the interior. I did sit in a BD a few months back and really liked that interior colors and the MGV seats.
  • Test drive was on surface streets and highway. The 2.7 gets up and goes compared to my F150. when the turbos kick in I felt pushed back in my seat. I can assume the 2dr will feel even quicker. Plenty of power for me. I will be happy. Got up to 80-90 mph on highway with no problem. As others have said, the engine doesn't sound great, especially compared to my old V8, but that is not really an issue for my. I prefer performance over sound.
  • Tried Normal and Sport GOAT mode. In Sport it shifted to AUTO 4x4 and held the revs longer. Not needed on highway, but would be fun on back roads at fire roads.
  • Ride quality very similar to my F150. Felt planted at speed on highway no wobble or wander. Comfortable enough for me and what I expected. Was not expecting a lux SUV ride.
  • Cabin noise at highway speeds with the soft top was loud. But, I would assume a Wrangler with soft top would be the same. I don't think I would want a soft top only. I would like to test drive a hard top to see if it would be quieter. I suspect it will due to glass vs. plastic windows. I am sticking to my 2dr hard top.
  • I did roll all the windows down and opened the top. The open air drive was great. Not a convertible guy, but I can see having the option would be great. I know my wife will like it.

So, that is about it. loved the drive. The 2.7 will be awesome. Still 2 dr with hard top all the way. The waiting continues......
Could you tell me which dealer you test drove with? Still waiting for some more dealers near me to receive their demo units.

If you are near by, York Ford has a 2 door hard top SAS they are allowing test drives. I would like to drive a non SAS model.

Thanks

MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great write-up, but no pics...How do we know if it actually happened? 😂 😜

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In Sport it shifted to AUTO 4x4 and held the revs longer. Not needed on highway, but would be fun on back roads at fire roads.
When you say "it shifted," do you mean without you hitting the 4A button? Why would it do this? I assumed Sport was for highway driving - no need for 4x4. What am I missing?

Thanks for the write-up.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BRNCONOW!

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Could you tell me which dealer you test drove with? Still waiting for some more dealers near me to receive their demo units.

If you are near by, York Ford has a 2 door hard top SAS they are allowing test drives. I would like to drive a non SAS model.

Thanks
Test drive was at Danvers Ford. This is who my order is placed with. Thanks for the info about York Ford. It's the red one...right? I've seen it a few times driving down Rt. 1.

swanjonson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2015 VW Golf SEL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Test drive was at Danvers Ford. This is who my order is placed with. Thanks for the info about York Ford. It's the red one...right? I've seen it a few times driving down Rt. 1.
Thanks. That is my back yard!

Yes, it is the red one at the front of the lot. I talked to the sales manager. They are using is as a courtesy vehicle and will allow anyone to test drive.

OP
OP

BRNCONOW!

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great write-up, but no pics...How do we know if it actually happened? 😂 😜
Funny, my son said the same thing. He was bummed he was in school when I went. Also, I think we've seen plenty of pics. Besides the Carbonized Grey with the roast interior is not very photogenic :)

OP
OP

BRNCONOW!

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When you say "it shifted," do you mean without you hitting the 4A button? Why would it do this? I assumed Sport was for highway driving - no need for 4x4. What am I missing?

Thanks for the write-up.
I dialed the GOAT mode to Sport. One the screen is noted that it was shifting into 4X4. I think in said 4x4 AUTO, but not 100% sure. I can confirm that the GOAT rotary knob had 4A on. It may be different for ones that do not have the 4A.

Reactions: sjp

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got to drive a 2 door hard top OBX and a 4 door soft top BL a few weeks ago. The soft top did have more noise at speed but not terrible. The sales lady was in the back seat and we could have a conversation fairly easy without feeling like we needed to talk loudly. The 2 door hard top was quite a bit louder than I anticipated but I think it was due to having a large Yakima roof rack mounted. I had a roof rack on an older truck of mine and I know it added significant noise when I attached it so I would like to have driven it without the rack to have more of an apples to apples comparison. My 2 drivers though are a Mustang GT with fairly loud exhaust and a Toyota Tundra with magnaflow exhaust so I am used to having quite a bit of cabin noise.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find the comments concerning interior noise amusing. I am a certified geezer, and the first half of my existence, AC in cars was something “ special”. In the summer we rode with the windows down and the wing windows open. You had to crank the AM radio “ option” way up to overcome the noise from the rushing wind if you wanted to hear Jeremiah was a bull frog clearly. Today, I can’t count the number of times folks ask me about the noise level in my convertible Mustang. I tell them it is just like riding with the windows down. That usually has the perplexed. Wow I am old. Lol Thanks for the critique of the OBX.

EMoo22

Outer Banks
First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Funny, my son said the same thing. He was bummed he was in school when I went. Also, I think we've seen plenty of pics. Besides the Carbonized Grey with the roast interior is not very photogenic :)
I resemble that comment! 😡😂

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I find the comments concerning interior noise amusing. I am a certified geezer, and the first half of my existence, AC in cars was something “ special”. In the summer we rode with the windows down and the wing windows open. You had to crank the AM radio “ option” way up to overcome the noise from the rushing wind if you wanted to hear Jeremiah was a bull frog clearly. Today, I can’t count the number of times folks ask me about the noise level in my convertible Mustang. I tell them it is just like riding with the windows down. That usually has the perplexed. Wow I am old. Lol Thanks for the critique of the OBX.
I am there with you. That car whose “air conditioning “ came from open windows had window cranks, manual door locks, manual side view mirrors, non-powered drum brakes, column mounted manual tranny, non-powered steering , etc. I laugh openly when folks claim that the upscale bronco with the 2.7 engine is not a luxury vehicle and only has average power!
Sponsored