Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yep, that's what the young salesman I have to use at my dealership told me on the phone today! Have a 9/27 build, called to check in on final steps, payment process, tell them I'm a vet, want to swap tires. I don't know if salesmen get training for this, or it just attracts sadists, but he told me:
  1. I see you have a 27 Sept build, you might get your Bronco next year. (Me, haha, yeah right)
  2. So you're a vet, did you do 20 years? (Me, no, but I did combat) I don't think you can get the military discount if you didn't do 20. (me, I'll check)
  3. I can order your tires like you emailed, but we can't give any credit for the factory tires. (me, ok, I'll take them home and sell them)
  4. Ok, I'll order your tires closer to when you will get your Bronco, but it may be next year. (me, wait...do you believe that? I've been tracking them for months, from build to ship is usually a couple weeks)
  5. I don't remember agreeing to free oil changes for life, but I see it's in the emails...so, um, I guess you get it. (me, yeah, that's why I changed dealerships to you guys...I DO remember)
It went on and on like this. Him being negative, adversarial, unhelpful. Typical dealership stuff which is why I only buy a vehicle every 15 years or so. His financing guy is going to be disappointed when I hand them a check for the entire amount. I've been saving up, but may finance a small portion just for fun.
Sponsored

KGRoberts

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Chevelle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Financing with Ford... it was a long time ago, but the dealership I bought my Ranger through offered up a third-party financing company that gave me a $500 discount if I financed through them. The financing terms were about double the other offers I could get. No penalty for early payoff. So I signed up with the third-party lender, dropped the price $500 plus trade-in, waited three weeks, refinanced through my credit union at 2.9%, and paid off the original lender.
Umm, thanks :)

jmadsen

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F350, 2017 Explorer, 1945 Ford GPW, 53 C6
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you have the cash to buy it outright you should finance 90% of it and make that cash work for you in an investment. Let the investment pay the payments and interest.

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am using an outside lender just so they don't get to make extra money off of me from the interest spread. They just get the cash from the sale.

Sponsored

CodaMojo

Wildtrak
First Name
Coda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG Wildtrack, 2014 Ford Escape, 2010 350z
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In the long long, we cut a deal with leather and a mark

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Ford isn't offering military discount on the Bronco. 😠

https://www.fordsalutesthosewhoserve.com/

Military Appreciation Cash is available to active members, retirees, veterans within 24 months of separation of an eligible military branch, spouses/surviving spouses, and other household members who are U.S. residents. This program provides $500 Bonus Cash on a purchase or lease of eligible new 2020/2021/2022 Ford or Lincoln vehicles. Not available on Ford Mustang Shelby GT350®, Mustang Shelby® GT350R, Mustang Shelby® GT500®, Mustang Mach 1, Ford GT, F-150 Raptor, F-150 Lightning, Bronco, Bronco Sport, and Mustang Mach-E. May be used with other Ford and Lincoln public offers. Limit 5 purchases or leases. U.S. residents only. Take new retail delivery from an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer’s stock by January 3, 2022. Ford reserves the right to change, modify or discontinue this program at any time. Contact your dealer for complete details and eligibility.

JDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TT Roadster, Reatta convertible.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That checks out. There is never a discount on vehicles people want.

Heart2

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you have the cash to buy it outright you should finance 90% of it and make that cash work for you in an investment. Let the investment pay the payments and interest.
What sort of investment would that be?

jmadsen

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F350, 2017 Explorer, 1945 Ford GPW, 53 C6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Im sure there are alot of other investments and or side hustles that could be brainstormed with 30 or 40k to get the ball rolling.

Most traditional retirement investments are something you wont see the returns on until retirement age. So that may not be your thing.
About 8 years ago i put 35k down payment on a commercial building. Spent about 11 months and another 10k getting it ready for lease. Its been leased out continuously since that time with no vacancies.
The rent pays the mortgage, insurance, taxes . etc with a positive $ 650 per month. That would make a bronco payment. Or in my case ive bought and flipped another property with it. Oh and the property values have appreciated about 8- 10% per year over the last 8.

There are deals everywhere. Just gotta look and maybe venture beyond your immediate area see what happens. Maybe buy a condo or townhome in the next town over? Etc.

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Something that returns 25% to 35% annually which ain’t happening often…. Las Vegas baby!

Bubba007

Wildtrak
First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 platinum supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yep, that's what the young salesman I have to use at my dealership told me on the phone today! Have a 9/27 build, called to check in on final steps, payment process, tell them I'm a vet, want to swap tires. I don't know if salesmen get training for this, or it just attracts sadists, but he told me:
  1. I see you have a 27 Sept build, you might get your Bronco next year. (Me, haha, yeah right)
  2. So you're a vet, did you do 20 years? (Me, no, but I did combat) I don't think you can get the military discount if you didn't do 20. (me, I'll check)
  3. I can order your tires like you emailed, but we can't give any credit for the factory tires. (me, ok, I'll take them home and sell them)
  4. Ok, I'll order your tires closer to when you will get your Bronco, but it may be next year. (me, wait...do you believe that? I've been tracking them for months, from build to ship is usually a couple weeks)
  5. I don't remember agreeing to free oil changes for life, but I see it's in the emails...so, um, I guess you get it. (me, yeah, that's why I changed dealerships to you guys...I DO remember)
It went on and on like this. Him being negative, adversarial, unhelpful. Typical dealership stuff which is why I only buy a vehicle every 15 years or so. His financing guy is going to be disappointed when I hand them a check for the entire amount. I've been saving up, but may finance a small portion just for fun.
I was told at my dealer yesterday with a build week of 10/11/21 it would be Nov/Dec delivery. When you give them your check make sure they don't bump your price for the lost commission they would've gotten on load, basically know your amount before they understand you're paying cash. Best of luck.
Most of all thank you for your service.

Mr_Scoutmaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands / '22 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it just me or did it sound like he said your tires would arrive next year vs. your bronco...?

Mr_Scoutmaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands / '22 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im sure there are alot of other investments and or side hustles that could be brainstormed with 30 or 40k to get the ball rolling.

Most traditional retirement investments are something you wont see the returns on until retirement age. So that may not be your thing.
About 8 years ago i put 35k down payment on a commercial building. Spent about 11 months and another 10k getting it ready for lease. Its been leased out continuously since that time with no vacancies.
The rent pays the mortgage, insurance, taxes . etc with a positive $ 650 per month. That would make a bronco payment. Or in my case ive bought and flipped another property with it. Oh and the property values have appreciated about 8- 10% per year over the last 8.

There are deals everywhere. Just gotta look and maybe venture beyond your immediate area see what happens. Maybe buy a condo or townhome in the next town over? Etc.
This 100% - I know people say you should buy in cash, etc. but if you're the right person you should put the money in a money market or other medium low/low risk portfolio account (especially if we are talking tens of thousands of dollars over something like 60 months). The difference between paid total interest over the life of the loan is very small these days when we are dealing with rates in the low 2's.

Think about your own car like a lease - pay the immediate depreciation up front, keep the rest. With a low enough rate you are making the interest all back anyway and you have cash on hand. Additionally - if anything ever happened like it gets totaled in the first few years- You will NEVER get all that cash you paid up front back from an insurance claim. As it was also pointed out above, financing and the service department are the dealership's bread & butter. They would prefer you to finance through them. They may offer incentives or knock off things / at cost mods if you use their financing. In the end it can just be another bargaining chip. That sales guy is an idiot - if I got you in the door for free oil changes for life, think about all the other service you're coming to me for. I'd want to keep you happy.

As a personal rule, I'd never put down more than 50% cash for a brand new vehicle, even if I have the full amount. But again, I don't have any retail or high interest debt. I also don't put my property taxes in escrow either - I invest it and pay it off myself at the end of the year with my CREDIT CARD, then collect the cash points, then pay off the credit card with cash (and that's only a fraction of the cash value we are discussing here for a brand new bronco). Double win. Kind of the same concept. Some folks aren't in this position though and I get that.
Sponsored