BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Took a long weekend and headed out to Colorado to do some relaxing. Got to see alot of on-road sites and was able to spend a little time off road.

Before the Bronco my extent of off roading was mudding in some fields during high school. One of the main reasons I got the Bronco was to be able to explore more and enjoy top off riding with my girls.

We ran some short trails in the four mile area by Buena Vista. That was a nice simple introduction. Then on our way out of the mountains we stopped in Montezuma and ran up Webster Pass. Nothing was too extreme and outside of the steep angle could have probably been done in 2wd. The switchbacks going up to the pass were fun and a good Introduction to basic ledge roads. I have the 7MT and it drove so easy. Kept it in C, 1st or 2nd most of the time depending on 4H vs 4L. Tons of torque and drove easily through everything. The hill start assist is also very nice. On the way down I could not make one of the switchbacks in one turn and needed to stop and back up. Was nice to feel no roll of the bronco until the clutch was ~50% engaged.

Overall it was a ton of fun and just makes me want to go out more!

One note on the 2.3, it can be quite the dog at elevation. Once we got up high, in regular driving it wouldn't get out of the way of a snail unless it was over 2500 rpm. If the turbo wasnt spinning you didnt move at all. Not being from the mountains I had to make sure I was 1-2 gears down from where I thought I should be to just drive around, even casual driving.

Ford Bronco Colorado maiden voyage for a Black Diamond Bronco 20210917_145057

Ford Bronco Colorado maiden voyage for a Black Diamond Bronco 20210917_145929

Ford Bronco Colorado maiden voyage for a Black Diamond Bronco 20210917_151636

Ford Bronco Colorado maiden voyage for a Black Diamond Bronco 20210917_151910

Ford Bronco Colorado maiden voyage for a Black Diamond Bronco 20210917_154019

Ford Bronco Colorado maiden voyage for a Black Diamond Bronco 20210917_154846

Ford Bronco Colorado maiden voyage for a Black Diamond Bronco 20210917_154935
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Shortness of breath at higher elevations is one reason I opted for the 2.7. Looks like you had an enjoyable first outing.

Lookout Mountain outside of Golden, while paved is a nice drive also.

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Great pics! Sounds like you had a good time too. Congrats and jeep on truckin.

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are ever in the Cripple Creek/Victor, CO. area, DO NOT take Shelf Road south.!! Wait a minute…..you have a new Bronco…..be SURE to take Shelf Road.! :D

Sponsored

Trooper

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Infiniti Q50
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Took a long weekend and headed out to Colorado to do some relaxing. Got to see alot of on-road sites and was able to spend a little time off road.

Before the Bronco my extent of off roading was mudding in some fields during high school. One of the main reasons I got the Bronco was to be able to explore more and enjoy top off riding with my girls.

We ran some short trails in the four mile area by Buena Vista. That was a nice simple introduction. Then on our way out of the mountains we stopped in Montezuma and ran up Webster Pass. Nothing was too extreme and outside of the steep angle could have probably been done in 2wd. The switchbacks going up to the pass were fun and a good Introduction to basic ledge roads. I have the 7MT and it drove so easy. Kept it in C, 1st or 2nd most of the time depending on 4H vs 4L. Tons of torque and drove easily through everything. The hill start assist is also very nice. On the way down I could not make one of the switchbacks in one turn and needed to stop and back up. Was nice to feel no roll of the bronco until the clutch was ~50% engaged.

Overall it was a ton of fun and just makes me want to go out more!

One note on the 2.3, it can be quite the dog at elevation. Once we got up high, in regular driving it wouldn't get out of the way of a snail unless it was over 2500 rpm. If the turbo wasnt spinning you didnt move at all. Not being from the mountains I had to make sure I was 1-2 gears down from where I thought I should be to just drive around, even casual driving.

Those are some awesome pics - looks like a great day! Nice looking bd.

What are your thoughts on the 2.3 / manual combination generally? Are you happy with it in day to day driving?

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Those are some awesome pics - looks like a great day! Nice looking bd.

What are your thoughts on the 2.3 / manual combination generally? Are you happy with it in day to day driving?
For day to day driving I think the 2.3/MT does pretty good. It's never going to be a sports car but if you put it in sport mode and increase the RPMs of your shift points, I feel like it is plenty responsive.

I can't remember what thread but I saw it on here a month or 2 ago. He said it if 2500-3000 rpm on the low side and wait to shift until 5k, there is plenty of power and snap. I agree with that. Just need to keep the turbo spinning.

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We got lucky and did not have as long of wait as everyone else but it was well worth it. My wife's dad had a bronco while she was growing up so she had some memories of cruising around in one. We went back and forth on whether we should spend the money on this. It's not cheap.... as soon as we got to the Alpine growth area and started to climb the switchbacks to the top we both agreed it was 100% the right thing to do. We have always liked what you can see and explore out west but have a greater appreciation now. Working to figure out how to get a few trips in next season!

OP
OP
BaseBD

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Shortness of breath at higher elevations is one reason I opted for the 2.7. Looks like you had an enjoyable first outing.

Lookout Mountain outside of Golden, while paved is a nice drive also.
If I lived higher in the mountains I would probably go with the 2.7 as well. You almost need need to start in crawl mode if you need to get moving quickly. I just remember we had to cross traffic to make a left from a stop. I was in 1st and sport mode. Felt like I was driving thru quick sand as we just crawled across the road until the turbo spooled. Thought we had plenty of room. Ended up being much closer than I wanted.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If I lived higher in the mountains I would probably go with the 2.7 as well. You almost need need to start in crawl mode if you need to get moving quickly. I just remember we had to cross traffic to make a left from a stop. I was in 1st and sport mode. Felt like I was driving thru quick sand as we just crawled across the road until the turbo spooled. Thought we had plenty of room. Ended up being much closer than I wanted.
Personally I prefer superchargers over turbos. I had 3 Pontiac 3800 SC powered vehicles at one time or another. However the twin turbos on our BMW X4 and on its predecessor 535 are pretty responsive

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the 2.3L in my Ranger. Check the factory dyno.. Before your turbo spools, your engine is putting out ~60-75HP. At elevation, its even less.. The 2.7 will do a bit better in this situation due to the second turbo. Great example of the benefits of a NA engine, although they also suck at elevation.
Ford Bronco Colorado maiden voyage for a Black Diamond Bronco 1632855018513

VERY nice photos. I should be getting my Bronco the end of next month if there are no more surprises (Blend date of 10/01). I look forward to seeing you guys out there.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For future knowledge at elevation or slow rock crawling its always best to keep it in 4 low. This makes things much easier on all of your equipment, clutch, engine tranny etc. Plus way less braking going back down.
I was wheeling with a buddy for the second year, both of us in JK's. Mine is a standard trans his is an auto. He says to me "jeez how do you keep your from overheating". We were thinking something was wrong with his cooling system until I realized he was always wheeling in 2 high. I'm like "WTF" he says well I didn't need 4 WD because the traction is pretty good (Moab) LMFAO. I explained that it's not the traction you really need,...It's the gear reduction. So he tried it in 4 low and wouldn't you know. No over heating issues ever again. Rookies!! ;)

Tanman

Black Diamond
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Diamond 2022 Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Welcome to Colorado. I grew up at 9000 feet in Conifer. You get used to the elevation and some maps for the 2.3.
Sponsored