First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I submit the 4 runner, while being a nice vehicle, is a collection of compromises if you really want to do hard core off roading.
By that logic, unless you have a custom, purpose built vehicle, ALL vehicles are a collection of compromises if you want to do "hard core off roading". The Wrangler and Bronco included. So you might as well lump those in with the Explorer class competitors too.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jdc

dmmjr_gas

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser - Magma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah but 4Runner is a piece of shit Toyota
Obviously never owned one! I like the Bronco and am buying one, BUT only because Toyota quite making the FJ. 4Runner is a great off road vehicle but needs an update. That doesn’t make it a POS. Just makes it old. It’s still a mountain goat.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
4 runners lack front locker, swaybar disconnect, engine torque and have t Rex arms for control arms compared to the Bronco. You are mistaken if you think a 4 Runner can go anywhere a Bronco can go. Even a lifted 4 Runner with 35's will call uncle at some point against a Badlands Sasquatch. I had a friend who turned a mustang into a mud machine. Doesn't mean it was a great offroader stock. They're popular because there are people who off-road and refuse to buy a jeep or an older vehicle. Toyota put lipstick on a pig by offering the TRD version to try and scalp some jeep sales. But true to the sticker on the bed, it's still a TuRD.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is the reality of a stock 4 Runner. Very mild offroading are at it's limit stock. Is what it is...

MillerBuilt

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 3500, Dodge 2500, F150, Mercedez E350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Cool Pitch…..but your girlfriend keeps staring at me with the doors off and top off.

Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Is what it is...

Winkydee

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Toyota has nothing for me unless they start doing an FJ again. Which I could see happening
Toyota has strong relationship with Suzuki, and I can see Toyota finding a way to bring the Jimny(Samurai) to the market. I hope they do.

Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah but here's one of several YouTube videos of Jeeps actually rolling over. I'm not sure what that proves
Yeah you do. It's pretty plain to see.
Bronco and 4 Runner were on hell's gate, not hell's revenge. It doesn't get any more black and white.

LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I own both, a 21 TRD and a 21 BD SAS 4dr. My daughter is driving the 4runner until her bronco order comes in. (she is quite pissed I have a Bronco before her when we day one reserved!!!) LOL. Bronco is better in almost every way. they only things i can give to the 4runner off the top of my head are reclining rear seats make a trip a little more tolerable. the cargo area on the 4runner is slightly larger.

Bronco has WAY better seats in the front, great leg, shoulder, hip room. incredible headroom. i am 6'6" and have about a 1/2" on the 4runner. The couple of trails I have had time to drive on the bronco has literally laughed at. I actually think the 4runner and bronco are quite similar but most importantly, you cant drop the top on the 4runner!!!!!!!!!!!

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Toyota USA's YouTube channel released their 4runner vs Bronco comparison video. I was surprised how thorough they were describing the Bronco but of course left out some key features and generally stuck to the base model bronco for comparison. Toyota is doing all they can to drag out their decade old platform. I wouldn't be surprised if we finally see a new 4runner next year after the jolt Bronco put into the industry.

Ugh I’m lucky enough to have one worth the wait it’s a game changing vehicle

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is what it is...

Mine did it just fine, that trail is more about driver skill than anything else.

I think it lies with your priorities. If you are geared more towards 'Overlanding' then the 4Runner is probably the better choice, but if you are geared more towards 'Serious off roading', then the Bronco or Jeep are the better choice. I personally think all are very capable for 99% of the people buying these vehicles (let's be honest, most of them will be doing Mall duties and soccer practices).

Last edited:

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mine did it just fine, that trail is more about driver skill than anything else.

I think it lies with your priorities. If you are geared more towards 'Overlanding' then the 4Runner is probably the better choice, but if you are geared more towards 'Serious off roading', then the Bronco or Jeep are the better choice. I personally think all are very capable for 99% of the people buying these vehicles (let's be honest, most of them will be doing Mall duties and soccer practices).
Agreed.
Sponsored