Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So we finally got our Bronco back a few days ago (it was away from the shop all week) so I decided to spend some time this evening at home and install the Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit (https://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-reverse-kit-for-2021-ford-bronco/)

We allow you to select either S1, S2 Sport, S2 Pro, Squadron Sport or Squadron Pros with the kit. For our demo truck, I went with S2 Sports. I ran S2 sport on my Raptor and they were plenty bright. I MIGHT upgrade them to S2 Pro later, but S2 Sport works fine for now.

So the kit out of the box is setup to be controlled from an upfitter or a toggle switch. I asked Baja Designs why this was, when the previous S2 Reverse kit for the Raptors tied into the factory reverse circuit. Basically, they didn't have a demo truck at their disposal that long and they couldn't go hacking apart the tail lights and splicing in wires.

BUT, because ya know we live and breath this stuff, we're going to explain how you can tie into your factory reverse circuit (at least on the trucks with BLIS/LED Tails).

So the kit includes a mount, which goes over your 3 lug nuts on your spare tire. They give you extension lugs so that you can mount the kit. On my factory wheel I had to use 4 washers behind the plate for the off-set (you get 5 washers in the kit).

Installation was honestly really easy, outside of the wiring part (and again, I did some custom stuff which I'll explain).

It's a BIG improvement over the factory reverse, and these are only the S2 Sport.

Ford Bronco Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit Installed 1632533375710

Ford Bronco Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit Installed 1632533388107

Ford Bronco Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit Installed 1632533401322

So what did I do different and how? Well I used an upfitter cable and I tapped into the hot leg on the factory tail circuit. It's the green wire shown here (bottom right corner of the image):

Ford Bronco Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit Installed 1632533482271

For a ground point, I went under the bumper where there was no painted metal.

Now I COULD have just kept everything inside the truck I learned at the end. As the tail light wires are inside the cabin as well I could have just as easily tied into without having to remove the tail light. Lesson learned.

Ford Bronco Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit Installed 1632533511040

I ran the wire through the boot behind the spare tire
Ford Bronco Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit Installed 1632533548093

And followed the 3rd brake light wire
Ford Bronco Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit Installed 1632533562740

Now I wanted a quick disconnect, similar to the factory in case service was ever needed. Being that I was at home, I didn't have my crimping tools for the Weatherpack connectors, so for now I used some spade terminals so that I could service it later (I will replace this with a Weatherpack connector down the road)
Ford Bronco Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit Installed 1632533603140

This then went through the rear fender area and back out another grommet behind the tail light
Ford Bronco Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit Installed 1632533620495

And then here is the hot lead from my harness poking out of my sheathing where I used a crimp on wire tap for that green wire above
Ford Bronco Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit Installed 1632533652069

PERFECT! No need for an upfitter or toggle switch now. They come on automatically in reverse. I did have to supply some of my own wire, since this is not how the Baja Designs kit is setup out of the box. BUT I did show my Baja rep the circuit I tapped into and where I tapped into a ground point (you can also tap into a ground point inside the cabin, which is pointed out in the Baja Designs instructions for the license plate bolts). So maybe in the future they will update the kit.

If you want your kit, we've got them in stock so grab one here:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-reverse-kit-for-2021-ford-bronco/
Sponsored

Last edited:

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m planning a light bar, behind the spare…don’t have to worry about it being in the way if i need the spare off.

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Need a quick disco in case you need to take the spare off…
Already there. The "Upfitter" wire has a Weatherpack on the end of it, which is located behind the spare. Then there is a y-splitter that lets you plug the 2 Baja Designs S2 lights in. So you just have to unplug the 2x S2 lights from the splitter and you're good to go. Nice and easy and it's part of the kit already

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can the bracket be purchased individually? I've no real interest in a full kit as I have leftover components I want to repurpose but that bracket is something I would purchase. Thanks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can the bracket be purchased individually? I've no real interest in a full kit as I have leftover components I want to repurpose but that bracket is something I would purchase. Thanks.
No sorry. Baja Designs brackets are only available when purchased as part of a complete kit.

I could custom design you a 1-off bracket however if you were interested in purchasing it. Lead time would be about 2 weeks to receive it since it's a 1-time laser cut job. PM me if interested.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would be cool to see a bracket that pushed those lights to the left and the right of the camera, fitting in-between the wheels spokes. I realize this application wouldn't be for everyone and be dependant on wheel setup, but it would give it a good look (IMO).

combatninja

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ND Miata, Land Rover Defender 110, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Cool I guess. But that looks like an additional pain in the arse if you need the spare. Also, if you wanted these for the trail, would it not be preferable to have them activated by a switch? I imagine there are scenarios in which you would want these on and NOT be in reverse. Which brings me to my final point. Super obnoxious mod for everyone around you in town. I thought Jeep bros were bad…

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Would be cool to see a bracket that pushed those lights to the left and the right of the camera, fitting in-between the wheels spokes. I realize this application wouldn't be for everyone and be dependant on wheel setup, but it would give it a good look (IMO).
I 100% agree with you. After installing them last night they were so close to the camera I did not like it, which is why I put mine on top. But now that I look at it, I may go with the S1's mounted below so it appears more centered and not so close together.

When you use the license plate bracket, it's spread out nicely.

We DO sell an extension bracket that should work with these. It's part of our dual-light a-pillar kit for Tacomas, but the extension brackets would work to offset the lights

Here is the extension bracket sitting on top of the a-pillar bracket i'm talking about

Ford Bronco Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit Installed 1632587182462

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Cool I guess. But that looks like an additional pain in the arse if you need the spare. Also, if you wanted these for the trail, would it not be preferable to have them activated by a switch? I imagine there are scenarios in which you would want these on and NOT be in reverse. Which brings me to my final point. Super obnoxious mod for everyone around you in town. I thought Jeep bros were bad…
We sell a harness actually where you can activate the reverse lights from a switch AND have them come on automatically while in reverse. Out of the box, the Baja Designs Reverse Kit IS activated from a switch (I didn't want to tie up an upfitter though and want them on automatically).

CrystaLux Upfitter Control Harness for 2017+ Ford Raptor S1/S2 Reverse Kits - $45
https://www.4x4truckleds.com/crysta...ness-for-2017-ford-raptor-s1-s2-reverse-kits/
Ford Bronco Baja Designs S2 Reverse Kit Installed 1632587269364

We've got diodes built into the harness so when you turn on your upfitter to activate your reverse lights, your factory lights don't back-feed. So you could throw some amber rock guards over the S2 or S1 and now you've got chase lights on the trail.

As for the spare... not an issue at all. When you need the spare you just unplug the 2 lights. There is a y-adapter tucked in behind the spare tire. Just unplug the S2 lights and you have complete access to the spare, takes 2 seconds.

Sponsored

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No sorry. Baja Designs brackets are only available when purchased as part of a complete kit.

I could custom design you a 1-off bracket however if you were interested in purchasing it. Lead time would be about 2 weeks to receive it since it's a 1-time laser cut job. PM me if interested.
Thanks, but no thanks. The point was trying to purchase something that clearly already exists...without incurring the added cost of one-time fab jobs.

Shame Baja doesn't want to do business with those who have their lights already (I like my S2s) but simply want to adapt it to a new application. Kind of wasteful, IMHO.

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks, but no thanks. The point was trying to purchase something that clearly already exists...without incurring the added cost of one-time fab jobs.

Shame Baja doesn't want to do business with those who have their lights already (I like my S2s) but simply want to adapt it to a new application. Kind of wasteful, IMHO.
They don't make money on brackets... they make money on lights. If people were just buying their brackets it would cost them money. They also don't want others to use their brackets for someone elses lights.

Our sister brand, KR Off-Road, is in the business of making brackets though.

I mean you can always fabricate up your own mounting brackets to re-use what you have. Or you can drill a hole in the bumper to hang them as well, which is a popular option.

Smuck

First Edition
First Name
Shon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
32 Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
They don't make money on brackets... they make money on lights. If people were just buying their brackets it would cost them money. They also don't want others to use their brackets for someone elses lights.

Our sister brand, KR Off-Road, is in the business of making brackets though.

I mean you can always fabricate up your own mounting brackets to re-use what you have. Or you can drill a hole in the bumper to hang them as well, which is a popular option.
Since you are the light guru when I bought my current car someone had converted the turn signals so they are white when not blinking yellow and I really like how it adds more visibility at the corners. Can you do something similar with the marker lights?

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know other brands do sell a la carte and somehow do make money, but if they/you say so...

Bumper option isn't the same - if it was this kit wouldn't exist in the first place.

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Since you are the light guru when I bought my current car someone had converted the turn signals so they are white when not blinking yellow and I really like how it adds more visibility at the corners. Can you do something similar with the marker lights?
That's either an aftermarket housing with clear turns OR the factory housing is clear and it's an amber bulb. It's against the lawn to run white turn signals. So we don't sell white turn signals. We sell white LED bulbs if you catch my drift, but we don't market them for turn signals. We DO sell a switch back turn signal bulb. It's normally white and switches to amber when your turn signal goes on.

BUT you need to be able to replace the turn signal bulb. On the Broncos, I don't know if you can with the LED lighting package, i've not checked. But if this is for another vehicle, as long as you know your bulb size we stock bulbs:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-replacement-bulbs/
Sponsored