chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Its time for me to buy a bigger tool chest- I am thinking of a stacked 46" set or a 60-72" workbench style. I am not looking to spend thousands- but I don't want flimsy junk. The Milwaukee, Husky, Kobalt quality is just fine.... But How does the Harbor Freight US General stack up? I would never consider anything tool from HF, but I got to realize that they are all made overseas these days except for the super expensive stuff.
Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

they usually have display units in store. the most sought after feature is the drawer slides. if you are a mechanic, you may have over a hundred pounds of tools in a single drawer and if the box has cheap slides they are difficult to open and close. if you are working in a shop with multiple mechanics, a good locking system is also good. at home not so important..

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Our techs use the HF rolling tool carts on our floor. Holding up well and have some nice features for the money. Tons of add ONS to customize and lots of colors.
I just can't justify spending thousands for a steel box to hold tools in my garage.
I bought a Husky from Home D. Bc I wanted a box with a wood top surface. It's been good so far.

OP
OP
chtucker

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Our techs use the HF rolling tool carts on our floor. Holding up well and have some nice features for the money. Tons of add ONS to customize and lots of colors.
I just can't justify spending thousands for a steel box to hold tools in my garage.
I bought a Husky from Home D. Bc I wanted a box with a wood top surface. It's been good so far.
That is what I needed to hear- Does HF honor the 20% off coupon on US General?

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is what I needed to hear- Does HF honor the 20% off coupon on US General?
They should? They are always running sales, just have to catch it at the right time.
I do think HF is trying to step up the quality of their tools and other stuff. They do carry some really cheap stuff, but some things are great.

Sponsored

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I only buy wear & tear from HF. Blades, discs, gloves, rods, stuff that I expect to destroy after a few uses.
Even their best crap is still just that, crap.

Berwolf

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I only buy wear & tear from HF. Blades, discs, gloves, rods, stuff that I expect to destroy after a few uses.
Even their best crap is still just that, crap.
Funny I actually do the opposite and buy good consumables because that is what is doing the work and like you said crap is crap. Leads to more work, worse finish and can be a safety concern.

I have heard good things about their tool boxes and they are on my shortlist when I have the room for a new one.

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
a) I use one of the 56" HF US General tool boxes myself, with the add on drawers and side cabinet, and I think they are pretty great for home use. They also sell a 72" version that is pretty much the 56" plus the 16" drawers. I built a "wood" top with plywood and some laminate flooring for a pretty slick, decent looking work surface for not too much cash (before wood went insane).
b) the 20% off coupons are not good on US General tool storage, it says so on the coupons in the very fine print. However, the Inside Track club is not too expensive for one year, and if you can watch the sales, they have specials that normally include the larger US General toolboxes around major holidays. There is also normally a sale around Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, etc that includes at least some of them. Those often have specific coupons for those boxes. You just have to watch.

Overall, even at the full price, they are a pretty good bargain for the quantity and quality you get. If you are getting one, take a pickup without a top on the back. They are going to want to put it in your bed with a forklift and won't normally do it with a camper top on the back or in an SUV. A cargo van might work. I have found that some pre-planning will allow you to get a short term rental from UHaul (or Lowes and Home Depot also have them) to get it home. You will want assistance to get the several hundred pound beast from the truck bed to the garage--be warned.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

About 13 years ago, I sold some Craftsman boxes and bought a big-ass fancy-lookin stainless steel no-name box at Sam's Club. It has turned out to be a POS.
I want my old Craftsman stuff back!
Of course there's no guarantee any of today's brands are as good as The Old Stuff.
And I do know one thing; I will never, ever, buy Snap-On again, unless it's a wrench or a socket. I've gotta drawer full of overpriced, broken air tools the Snap-On guy wants $80 each to fix.
Snap-On made their name on their wrenches and sockets.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
HF coupons are a thing of the past. Every so often they will have some, but in typical HF fashion, they aren't allowed on most things you'd want. They do run some sales, but not on the US General stuff very often. I think it can be hit or miss on availability of the bigger sizes, too right now.

You could always get one of the HF Credit Cards, 1st purchase will give you 10% on everything. Have one waiting for the stars to align for a 56" and a few other things for that first purchase, then will never use it again.

As to the US General line, rarely hear anything bad, best value for the money and people are much happier with them than the Big Box store brands. HF is stepping up their game and actually have some decent tools now, and of course, they are priced accordingly.

Sponsored

SpeedTwin

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a HF 72" box. I would put it almost on par with a snap on. I would not hesitate to purchase again. Wait until black Friday or Christmas, because they go on sell then. Saved a few hundred dollars that way when I bought mine.

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You can see my HF tool box in the background
Ford Bronco MId tier tool storage 20210621_075253
No, I can't. Too mesmerized on the beautiful blue/white snake in the foreground.
Sponsored