Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The two door loaner I’ve been driving with a MIC 1.0 top has an annoying popping/rattling sound coming from the latch area just above/behind the drivers head (also happens to a lesser degree on the passenger side as well.) Hard to know if this is the same bothersome sound experienced by others here, but I would imagine its not unique to only this vehicle.

I’ve narrowed down the source to the interface between the rounded off pin in the roof panel and the hole this fits into on the painted bracket attached to the frame. I took a one inch square piece of 1/8” thick EVA closed cell foam (aka craft foam) and after unlatching at all four points and lifting the section of the top, I placed it over the hole and under the pin. I then let the roof panel puncture the foam by latching the panel back down. The attached photo hopefully helps to explain. After doing this at both the driver and passenger side, the popping/rattling are completely gone. I’m not sure if the bit of foam protruding down into the hole is what fixed it, the portion of the foam that isn’t punctured, or a combination of the two. I will definitely be experimenting with this further.

Who knows how long this foam will hold up but I think it’s a good starting place for finding a permanent solution to this problem. I’d be interested to know if this is something that has been addressed with the MIC 2.0.

Hopefully someone finds this useful.

UPDATE: 11/20 I’ve utilized this method to eliminate the MIC noise in two different Broncos, including my own. I’ve removed the roof panels and re-installed the original foam pieces when re-installing five or six times now and still having no rattles or pops coming from the top. As easy as it is to just hold on to the foam pieces and re-install and as well as it works, I’m fine with this being the long term solution at this point. I may try experimenting with using some heavy duty 3M double sided tape to permanently attach the foam.

1AFBB2B3-4E0B-4C12-BCE2-E5C42AD8CB70.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this MIC 2.0? The clicking/rattling has been widely reported in the first edition of the MIC, and I am led to believe that the upgraded version (now being installed on factory Broncos) is a better fit that will not make those same noises. Of course proof will be in the pudding . . .

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is this MIC 2.0? The clicking/rattling has been widely reported in the first edition of the MIC, and I am led to believe that the upgraded version (now being installed on factory Broncos) is a better fit that will not make those same noises. Of course proof will be in the pudding . . .
This is on the 1.0. I’ll edit the original post to clarify. Thanks

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for posting this! I had the front panels off today enjoying the autumn colors. When reinstalling them I used the foam and it seems to have done the trick. No more clicking! The guide pin didn’t pierce the foam, it made more of a bubble around the pin and fills the void completely.… :LOL:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for posting this! I had the front panels off today enjoying the autumn colors. When reinstalling them I used the foam and it seems to have done the trick. No more clicking! The guide pin didn’t pierce the foam, it made more of a bubble around the pin and fills the void completely.… :LOL:
Great to hear it worked for someone else! If it helps even one person I figured it was worth posting. Thanks for the feedback.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Also an update, I’ve received my Bronco and returned the loaner. Mine supposedly has the 2.0 top. Aesthetically there doesn’t appear to be any difference, it still has the snakeskin/honeycomb appearance and unfinished edges, but I’ve yet to hear a single rattle out of it. Hope it stays that way.

UPDATE: Mine did start rattling as well, but the foam eliminated the noise again.

Last edited:

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The hole for the pin should be larger, and have a hard nylon plastic grommet. Lite grease on the pin, and problem solved.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The hole for the pin should be larger, and have a hard nylon plastic grommet. Lite grease on the pin, and problem solved.
I don’t believe grease is going to do anything to prevent the nylon pin from rattling inside the hole. It’s not a sound that is created due to friction, like a squeaking hinge. The rattling sound is percussive and comes from the pin having too much play inside the hole and the pin striking against the sides of the metal hole. “Lite” grease won’t change the sound plastic makes when it strikes steel. If grease worked to fix rattling in your top, there must be a different mechanism at play that is causing the sound than what is causing it in the top on the loaner vehicle I had. I’m sure there are multiple reasons these tops rattle so the grease may work in some situations, just not this one.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t believe grease is going to do anything to prevent the nylon pin from rattling inside the hole. It’s not a sound that is created due to friction, like a squeaking hinge. The rattling sound is percussive and comes from the pin having too much play inside the hole and the pin striking against the sides of the metal hole. “Lite” grease won’t change the sound plastic makes when it strikes steel. If grease worked to fix rattling in your top, there must be a different mechanism at play that is causing the sound than what is causing it in the top on the loaner vehicle I had. I’m sure there are multiple reasons these tops rattle so the grease may work in some situations, just not this one.
My idea is that the metal pin should fit without much slack inside the suggested nylon plastic grommet. The grease would help the pin slide into the grommet and help prevent the metal pin from wearing away at the plastic.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My idea is that the metal pin should fit without much slack inside the suggested nylon plastic grommet. The grease would help the pin slide into the grommet and help prevent the metal pin from wearing away at the plastic.
Wouldn’t the grease rub off inside the storage bags, your hands, or your interior?

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wouldn’t the grease rub off inside the storage bags, your hands, or your interior?
Just a very lite film of clear silicone grease should do the trick.

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Also an update, I’ve received my Bronco and returned the loaner. Mine supposedly has the 2.0 top. Aesthetically there doesn’t appear to be any difference, it still has the snakeskin/honeycomb appearance and unfinished edges, but I’ve yet to hear a single rattle out of it. Hope it stays that way.
I think the 2.0 top is really 1.1..... I've had the same observations as you. Slight snakeskin/honeycomb and some unfinished edges primarily vertically around the rear corners facing drag. This is where the issues will start playing out eventually. We'll see how it holds up this winter... Mine didn't start the clicking/rattling until about 900 miles and the first major temperature drop of the season.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The problem is the hole in the metal bracket attached to the frame isn’t round, it’s oblong. So I don’t think a grommet would work unless it’s custom made for the application. And the pin itself is nylon.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem is the hole in the metal bracket attached to the frame isn’t round, it’s oblong. So I don’t think a grommet would work unless it’s custom made for the application. And the pin itself is nylon.
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know that. I Haven't received my Bronco yet. Let alone driven a MIC Top. Ford must have made the hole oblong for side to side flex? If that's the case? @Ford Motor Company should make a custom grommet for the oblong hole. I doubt a nylon pin would be a good idea. And a round metal pin in an oblong metal hole with movement and no grommet is a bad design.
Sponsored