Vehicle(s)
VW Cabrio
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Here's what I've gotta have, here's how I'm going to use it:

Manual
MGV
Hard Top (although to speed things up I'd order the soft top and get an aftermarket hard top)

It will replace my '07 JK, which has been a great vehicle. Yes, it has some steering issues, I had the death wobble early on, but all in all, no major issues yet. They are coming I'm sure, it's constantly leaking oil and the cats are dying a slow death.

In any case, I'm on the beach 250+ days a year, not off roading a majority of those, just in sand, kiteboarding, surfing, you name it. So, my vehicle has to be able to be washed out, hence the MGV. I live in South Carolina, so the heat is a concern with the MGV, but my cloth seats are falling apart even with covers, and I never liked the Neoprene covers. Carpet, ha.......forget about it, I tossed it out of the JK the 2nd day I owned it.

Here's my thought - I have a July 2021 reservation for a black diamond, but no build yet as I'm still deciding. I don't want Sasquatch to add extra time to the build, but I like the wheel/tire combo of the Badlands over the Black Diamond, drove one this weekend in a manual, loved it. Here's my questions:

1. What else am I getting for the approximate $3-4k difference between Badlands and BD (with upgraded wheels, I'm not a fan of the stock ones). I know upgraded suspension, LED lights. Anything that will actually affect the daily driving?
2. I'm guessing the BD will get built quick, who knows right?
3. Badlands is pretty much exactly what I want, BD I'd probably look at changing wheels and/or tires. A bit of me says it's already $42k, why not pay another $3k or so and get exactly what I want.

Again, it will be mostly on pavement. I plan to do some off-roading (other than just on the beach - OBX, Florida, here), but probably very minimal in the way of rock climbing based on where I live. I do go to the NC mountains a good bit to hike/fish, so it's possible.

Thoughts? Ha, I love researching all of this, part of the fun of looking.
It looks like you are in Chuck? Have you been to Palmetto to test drive their Badlands yet?
Sponsored

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It looks like you are in Chuck? Have you been to Palmetto to test drive their Badlands yet?
Yeah, this weekend, loved the stick shift. Drove it off the front steps through the plants, ha. I asked if that was cool and they were like yeah, go for it. That Cyber Orange Badlands is pushing me towards.......a Cyber Orange Badlands.

MISSJD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Cabrio
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah, this weekend, loved the stick shift. Drove it off the front steps through the plants, ha. I asked if that was cool and they were like yeah, go for it. That Cyber Orange Badlands is pushing me towards.......a Cyber Orange Badlands.
Lol everyone drives it through the plants. MT locks you in for limited options so I guess that's a good thing! That's what I keep telling myself anyway 🤷‍♀️

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I too went through the BL/BD quandary for many months before picking the BL for $7K more (but that included an upgrade to the high package. The 7 MT was a requirement for me so that drove the BD/BL initial choice.

It was really the front stabilizer disconnect that pushed me to picking the BL. The Dana 210 front axle with the locker was also a significant reason to go BL. Although, I wish Ford actually gave a choice on the BL with MT of the 4.7 or the 4.26 gearing. I think if they did I would pick the 4.26 for potentially better fuel economy and giving up just a wee bit of rock crawl capability.

Once I was in the BL and spending that extra money then it only made sense to me to get the high package as well.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm Black Diamond. The only thing that I wish that I could have upgraded to would the be the heavier axle, regardless of a locking front differential or not.
Ford knows how to work the customer when it comes to options/packages.

I'll be fine with the standard axle.However,I would have upgraded it if it were a stand alone option.

Sponsored

Bronconius

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ford Lighting
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also went through the BD/BL debate for months. I finally decided to go with BL but when I went to make the change I had my vin assigned so I’m getting a BD. I was kind of disappointed at first but now I’m not. I’ll upgrade as I go and save some cash in the meantime.

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I too was on the BD/BL fence. I only plan to go with the mid package with squatch, so both options are open. What convinced me to go BL is the number of people who off road with the sway bar disconnect who swear by how comfortable the ride is. I recall someone saying it was a magic carpet ride compared to no disconnect.

Dubsilk

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M240 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford not letting you get mid pack with manual in any other trim is bullshit.
….and that’s what I got me from a Black Diamond to a Badlands

stratego

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands definitely seems to be the way to go if you want a manual.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After more studying I have decided on a Badlands. If I have to add better shocks to the BD that's typically a $4000 upgrade for a set of 2.5" Fox shocks for me to get the ride of the Bilstein's on the BL.
A BD mid package is $47865. The Badland with mid puts me at $53111.
Add 4k to the BD and I am at $51865. That puts me at $1246 more for the BL. For that I get the heavier front diff, front and rear lockers, the stabar disconnect and the 33" BFG K02 tires

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I'm pretty much on the Badlands, I like wheel/tire combo stock on it, so there's a savings of $1500 - $2k for wheels/tire take offs. The upgraded shocks and bit more clearance are worth an additional bit to me, plus I like the LED headlights. At invoice the price difference should be around $4k which is what I'm at pricing wise.

Al Cowlings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Swaybar disconnects are like magic. I'd rather have an e-disco than a front locker. Way more useful more of the time. Keeping all 4 tires on terra firma is Job One off-road, and the disco helps with that. Also makes the ride way more comfortable on the rough stuff.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Swaybar disconnects are like magic. I'd rather have an e-disco than a front locker. Way more useful more of the time. Keeping all 4 tires on terra firma is Job One off-road, and the disco helps with that. Also makes the ride way more comfortable on the rough stuff.
Well, that's good because I have a JL Rubicon on the way, maybe a Bronco down the road.

Al Cowlings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well, that's good because I have a JL Rubicon on the way, maybe a Bronco down the road.
You'll love it. And don't mind the "just get manual disconnects" crowd. They never actually use them. Crawling under your rig with zip ties just doesn't have the same magic as pushing a friggin' button on the dash anytime you want. ;)

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like BD more but have to get Badlands for high package.
Sponsored