Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems great but rough country stuff like this is only Compatible with the stock bumper.
Wouldn't that apply for any/all Winch mounts?
Either you use a mount that attacheds to the factory bumper, or you buy an aftermarket bumper that has a built in Winch mount, right? Not trying to be rude, just curious if there are other options.
Sponsored

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy 2500HD, 2008 Buell 1125R, 98 Buell S1W
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lots of pros and cons in the thread, interesting solution but it has one major Achilles' heel that a couple of people touched on, how to operate the clutch release. Unless you have some way to operate the winch clutch remotely via mechanically, electrical or air means, would recommend a pass on this product.​
The thing to remember about most off road winches they are designed to be only powered in during normal operation, they are designed for very short powered reverse operation in order to relieve the tension on the winch line to allow it to be disconnected after the winching operation is completed.​
The reason for this is the operation of the brake it's basically a one way device , it's designed to free run with very little brake pressure when winching the load in, when the winch motor is stopped the load tension is then applied against the brake mechanism thereby applying the brake to hold the load. When the winch is powered out for extended time excessive heat is built up in the winch mechanism and the wire drum due to brake friction, if you're running synthetic line you run the risk of heat damage to the winch cable. In addition the brake service life is comprised and subject to failure under heavy load.​
There are winch options out there with remote clutch operation, which is always more $$$ added to the winch cost.​

TiredOldMedic

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mercury Grand Marquis, 86 Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I still like the 4WP winch bumper or the maxlider best but the 4WP's one is more affordable. Will 4WP make a camera relocation kit in the future as I've ordered the Lux package?

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you have the towing package?!? Because that's a transmission oil cooler.

Nevermind, yes you do. Ooops. So if that's the case, I have to decide on what I am going to do about that cooler being in the way. Grrr!
Well, you did say it looked nice in your living room, Guess you could just hook up the dog, let out the clutch when he needs to go out, and then winch him back in when he starts barking at the neighbors. Or, you could pull the fridge in when you need a beer... 😂 😁

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From another past winch thread:

Thank you!!! Fantastic answer! Truly THE solution I will implement. Stow the winch in inside my Bronco, and only mount it on the front or rear bumper as required for a recovery situation...Kinetic rope, gear, and winch all stowed and available as required. Meanwhile my gear is 100% out of the weather and Oregon drug addicts view.
it's a practical solution, however a word of caution with this approach, as its been advised in other winch threads on the forum, make sure that 100 plus pound projectile is very securely tied down as if you roll the vehicle you don't want it flying around and killing someone in the vehicle.

In addition will the rear cross member that the hitch is mounted to handle high winch loads without bending?

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went ahead and pulled my skid off and took some photos. I see no way this is going to fit on mine, but it also makes me wonder if they tested this on a dramatically different build that had nothing to do with the frame mounts. There is some sort of heat exchanger mounted to the frame (possibly for the diffs?) in place of where the winch should mount.

If you compare the photos, this isn't in their photographs or instructions.

Here is the underside with the skid removed:

bumper1.jpg

You can see here what i'm referring to. On either side of it are the tabs they want you to cut off. If you look at the install instructions, this heat exchanger or whatever it is, is not present (https://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountry/install/921510540.pdf, see photos 5 and 6). I think this is where the winch is supposed to sit, but clearly there is no room for it without dramatically reducing clearance.
bumper3_exchanger.jpg

I suppose it's possible this was relocated in builds with the plastic bumper, but I find that unlikely.

There isn't a lot of room down there, IMO this was the only reasonable place you'd have space to fit a winch :(

I believe this is an oil cooler for the 2.7 engine. I don't have a Bronco yet but have seen a few and have taken pics to try and make my own 4600 type of mount.

So here is the WT I saw @ Carlisle Ford.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 20210604_180416

..... and here is a pic of my dealers manny ... a 2.3 BL.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 20210710_131857

I've got some ideas but will wait to see if someone makes a kit like the 4600 by the time I get mine. If nothing by then ......... I will find a way.
😁

Nodrama43

Badlands
First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nunya
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just took these photos yesterday of the factory winch setup. Terrible.

I'm interested in this rough country setup, but I'm curious of the winch quality. Anyone?

Also, are you guys allowing local pickup yet?
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 20210710_131857

is the Ford factory set up defective in design? Appears to me that it attaches directly to the tow hooks/frame rails.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, you did say it looked nice in your living room, Guess you could just hook up the dog, let out the clutch when he needs to go out, and then winch him back in when he starts barking at the neighbors. Or, you could pull the fridge in when you need a beer... 😂 😁
Well, because I don't have a Bronco is why it looks good there.

Shinoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a bit frustrating, but this is yet another entry in the list of complications with getting a winch to work. They have issues with:
  1. Blocking the 360 camera
  2. Blocking the ACC sensor (or Lux package)
  3. Limiting airflow to the intercooler
  4. Parking sensors
  5. No space with the transmission cooler
  6. Keeping dimensions sensible
It's a shame that this really feels like an afterthought. I have no issue with blocking the 360 camera, but all the current options are not usable via the Lux packages because they block the ACC sensor, either partially or fully. The 4 Wheel Parts bumper is the closest that solves all these issues except the camera, but they have yet to confirm that the ACC cutout works (I think they estimated the correct size during development and have yet to confirm it). I've also heard mixed things on their quality.

The Ford solution, which I don't mind, raises it up but for some reason, is lowered over the opening for the sensor about an inch or so from what I can tell. Based on the instructions, it does appear to bolt to the end of the frame rails. The early renders of this mount had it raised high enough to clear the opening. The other potential issue is that the tow hooks extend outwards a bit further, so if the ACC sensor extends out in a conal fashion, maybe it blocks it that way? I'm not sure, but the only reason I could see for not raising the winch another inch is that it would block the logo (like the early renders did). Maybe I'm jaded, but in product engineering meetings in the past I've had, I've had PMs make decisions to limit functionality for appearance, so it wouldn't shock me to see this sacrificed for the sake of keeping the logo visible.

I considered buying the Ford option and, if I had the points available, I would and experimenting to see what can be done with it, but I'm not dropping $3k on an experiment esp when the other options are considerably less expensive. My theory was that you could remove it for your drive in and bolt it in place when you were going wheeling.

I was hoping this solution would work, it seemed to be the most likely solve, but that whole area is excluded with the lack of space, so if you have Lux, the only option I can see working is a Ford-like mount that raises it above the bumper and blocks the camera. If you don't have the Lux package/ACC, then you have a lot more options.

acnp2022

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wouldn't that apply for any/all Winch mounts?
Either you use a mount that attacheds to the factory bumper, or you buy an aftermarket bumper that has a built in Winch mount, right? Not trying to be rude, just curious if there are other options.
I was talking about how their stuff doesn't work with the heavy duty modular bumper

Sponsored

TexasTj

Base
First Name
Nathaniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover LR3
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lots of pros and cons in the thread, interesting solution but it has one major Achilles' heel that a couple of people touched on, how to operate the clutch release. Unless you have some way to operate the winch clutch remotely via mechanically, electrical or air means, would recommend a pass on this product.​
From the looks of it you reach into the the air flow opeing in the bumper to access the clutch release. Much better than on my LR3 with an ARB bull bar. I have to reach In Through a little hole to the Underside of the wench because ARB decided to mount the winch upside down. It’s a pain in the butt and if I had bigger arms they wouldn’t fit in the hole. I’m not That big of a guy. I’ll be seriously looking at this option. I’m not a huge fan of rough country stuff, but I really want to keep the weight down my truck for Payload.

Teewsda

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For those of you interested,
I reached out to RC about this winch design.
They informed me the winch tray is 3/16th inch steel( decent) not 11ga like skid plate.
I asked how to operate spool clutch and they replied "reach your hand under bumper".
I still don't think it will work for me after seeing oil cooler mounting pics of the 2.7.
I like the simple affordable solution if even short term but doesn't look like a fit for 2.7l.

BigDeal

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well this is great news. Anyone who ordered the Lux package now have the option of a winch without sacrificing the front camera. Necessity truly is the mother of invention!! More research is needed but This is on my list. Not sure if this will fit on modular bumper.

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Being that is is newly released I have yet to see one in person so can only comment from what I see. Based on that I would say no, maybe sitting a bit lower that the bumper/skid up front but no lower than the front cross member so overall clearance would remain the same.
Frank,

Please reach out to RC and ask them provide a short video that shows how one would "just reach under the bumper" to operate the brake release clutch lever as was stated by in post by "Teewsda". From the pictures in your original post and the installation instructions the winch clutch release lever appears to completely inaccessible.

For those of you interested,
I reached out to RC about this winch design.
They informed me the winch tray is 3/16th inch steel( decent) not 11ga like skid plate.
I asked how to operate spool clutch and they replied "reach your hand under bumper".
I still don't think it will work for me after seeing oil cooler mounting pics of the 2.7.
I like the simple affordable solution if even short term but doesn't look like a fit for 2.7l.
Sponsored