First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm late to the comments section. But for you guys i can pretty much guarantee this is not the drivers first rodeo.. and when I say rodeo I'm not talking a ford sponsored dirt trail event.. the rig just failed.

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or have can am make them.

They bend and you can remove it very easily.

so you just need to bring an open ended wrench and a hammer.

6B6A4C9A-7FA2-4111-9808-EB045CAF12C8.jpeg

DB45ED43-5A83-44F1-945E-45CE6CF1D021.jpeg

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Taking a hit to snap both tie rods, you think something else could be bent?

Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Itā€™s interesting to me how nearly ever thread discussing a Bronco component failure on these forums is assumed to be driver error and not a potential design or component flaw. Just like the first reported engine failure had everyone jumping to the conclusion the guy had got sand into his engine, when it turned out to be a dropped valve and one of at least a few such failures.

Based on the video, this didnā€™t seem that crazy to me. And doesnā€™t the fact both snapped not signal some kind of issue? The reliability of these machines was already starting to concern meā€¦ this incident isnā€™t helping.
Is this incident really classified as a "reliability" issue though? If so, my use will be just fine.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How to properly rock crawl @ 'Queens Throne'...

I'm the first to call out design issues - the front shock mount bolts hanging down still bug the shit out of me - but this was a combo of oversized tires without the proper accompanying suspension mods and using overly aggressive driving to slam through an obstacle that is at the extreme limit of his set up.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i seriously doubt this will be covered under warranty. this might be considered use beyond intended purposes. also, a tie rod failure is a good thing. it is a weak link for a reason. it keeps you from doing much worse damage. it is like a crush zone on the body, it is sacrificed so the damage is not worse to the vehicle or the occupants. if there is anyone who tries to fault ford, they are the errant ones. this failure is an engineered safety.

if you are looking for a specialty rock crawling vehicle, the prudent method would be to build a dedicated purpose vehicle. there is a reason for trailers...

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The one aspect that only got a brief mention in a previous post, is that it appears the owner did no suspension upgrades to accomodate the 37's, at least from what I can see from the photos. If he just slapped on 37's with only lift spacers, no surprise as to what happened. Anyone know if the suspension was upgraded for these 37's?

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting reading all the armchair four-wheeler's opinions, so I'll add mine. Upgrade your weak links like the inner and outer tie rods and you better consider carrying a spare rack and/or a pair of steering knuckles. Best bet is to try to be smooth and don't let the crowd egg you on to do something stupid. I think carrying the rods is the cheapest and most space saving option. If you're set on trying this kind of stuff, good on you! It can be a pretty exciting way to enjoy your rig, just be prepared for trail fixes. The Bronco platform is new so there isn't the experience of what the common failure modes will be, but guys like this are filling in the blanks and there will be others as well.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If youā€™re deep on the trail how do you get that vehicle home after that?
Depends how remote you are. The places I go have no cell service and you're a several day walk if you have to leave the vehicle. I like exploring old mining roads etc.

The point is don't go wheeling alone.. but if you do, bring a emergency locator beacon (a few hundred bucks on Amazon) and emergency supplies. Sat phones are surprisingly cheap these days as well.

The one breakdown I had was very remote, but luckily I had a battle buddy who could extract us and get parts.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not too long from now after more broncos get delivered, weā€™re going to have a bunch of ā€œoffroad expertsā€ just because they own a bronco. Already see that in the winch/recovery & towing discussions.

My suggestion for those wheeling their DD, put a sticker on your dash that says ā€œRememberā€¦you have to drive this home!ā€

depending on difficulty level of the trails I plan to hit with my jeep or truck, determines what extra parts I bring along. I have had everything removed/apart at one point on my jeep to at least get an idea as to what my fix would be. Not much mechanical wise on the jeep is factory at this point.

Get your vehicle back to the trailhead and have it flatbed home or to shop if needed. If cant move it at all, call the big guns Mattā€™s Recovery.

if you dont know the level of difficulty of trails, there are apps and really good books/guides to reference along with local offroad groups.

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That's true for most people, but there's always the " hold my beer" or " ya'll watch this" crowd that keeps the rest of us entertained.
ā€¦and my Trauma ICU full šŸ˜‰

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Not too long from now after more broncos get delivered, weā€™re going to have a bunch of ā€œoffroad expertsā€ just because they own a bronco. Already see that in the winch/recovery & towing discussions.

My suggestion for those wheeling their DD, put a sticker on your dash that says ā€œRememberā€¦you have to drive this home!ā€

depending on difficulty level of the trails I plan to hit with my jeep or truck, determines what extra parts I bring along. I have had everything removed/apart at one point on my jeep to at least get an idea as to what my fix would be. Not much mechanical wise on the jeep is factory at this point.

Get your vehicle back to the trailhead and have it flatbed home or to shop if needed. If cant move it at all, call the big guns Mattā€™s Recovery.

if you dont know the level of difficulty of trails, there are apps and really good books/guides to reference along with local offroad groups.
Excellent advice, thank you.

Remember Stupid You Have to Drive This Home Sticker $4.00

il_794xN.3056142093_ik69.jpg
Sponsored