Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Im not rock crawling or mud bogging, just trails mining roads, desert, etc.
I think it would work well? How is RC quality?
Oh, and it looks like you can add the nudge light bar also?
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
3/16" is 0.1875" so at 5mm( 0.196" ) it is actually thicker by just a hair.
There are two plates, one is the skid plate, which is essentially 3mm or 1/8" and not 3/16". And then there is the mount upon which with winch sits, which is closer to 5mm or 0.200".

Someone else wanted to know the distance between the wings, it offers 23.5" between the wings.

The big problem is that this setup appears incompatible with the 2.7 Bronco with Tow Package (and may be incompatible with all 2.7's based on the location of the transmission/radiator heat exchanger).

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does this work on ALL models? I ask because I was told recently that since I have a Wildtrak, the 4wp skid plate will not work due to how the intercooler and D ring setup is on the front vs other model trims.
I do not think it will work on the 2.7 Bronco (especially with the tow package) without further modification because the transmission/radiator heat exchanger is exactly where the winch would go. However, I intend to make further modification to adjust fire or I will save it for my 2022, which will likely be a 2.3 liter equipped 2 door Bronco.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks to be 3/16ths plate, just like almost every other winch mounting plate out there.
The winch mounting plate is thicker than 3/16ths, it's closer to 13/64's (0.200") 5mm.

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There may be some reduction in theoretical approach angle (to a shelf/wall, much less if any vs a large rock or obstacle on one side).
I think that most winch mount options for the Bronco will affect approach angle depending on high the obstacle is.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 D5FE792F-CC50-4551-9CD3-A68022A97374

Last edited:

Sponsored

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yea, I agree with this totally. That was something I considered a pretty major weak point when I was looking at this, before I realized it wouldn't work. The idea that the winch mount takes the place of a skid plate but will shear or damage those bolts in the process is pretty nasty. I would hate to run over a rock, not realize it, go to use the winch and the winch yanks out damaging the intercooler and who knows what else on the way out. Why those don't sit flush is beyond me and kindof sloppy IMO.

Scroll back a few posts, it won't work with my 2.7. I expect RC got a base 2.3 in and assumed that space was open with the 2.7 as well, because mine (and several others have reported the same) has a heat exchange of some sort in the place they would put the winch. I do not think relocating it would be trivial, but I could be mistaken.
I'm think that most winch mount options for the Bronco will affect approach angle depending on high the obstacle is

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 D5FE792F-CC50-4551-9CD3-A68022A97374
True ...

BUCKTOWN

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE Ford Bronco, Porsche Macan Turbo
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Spotted this today in GA while getting my tint done.

20211004_113105.jpg

20211004_113120.jpg

20211004_113200.jpg

20211004_114649.jpg

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

FYI in workshop manuals and verified in person the 2.3l 10r60 has the cooler on transcase,and the 2.7l has the cooler on the front support,has nothing to do with trailer package.

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's a bit frustrating, but this is yet another entry in the list of complications with getting a winch to work. They have issues with:
  1. Blocking the 360 camera
  2. Blocking the ACC sensor (or Lux package)
  3. Limiting airflow to the intercooler
  4. Parking sensors
  5. No space with the transmission cooler
  6. Keeping dimensions sensible
It's a shame that this really feels like an afterthought. I have no issue with blocking the 360 camera, but all the current options are not usable via the Lux packages because they block the ACC sensor, either partially or fully. The 4 Wheel Parts bumper is the closest that solves all these issues except the camera, but they have yet to confirm that the ACC cutout works (I think they estimated the correct size during development and have yet to confirm it). I've also heard mixed things on their quality.

The Ford solution, which I don't mind, raises it up but for some reason, is lowered over the opening for the sensor about an inch or so from what I can tell. Based on the instructions, it does appear to bolt to the end of the frame rails. The early renders of this mount had it raised high enough to clear the opening. The other potential issue is that the tow hooks extend outwards a bit further, so if the ACC sensor extends out in a conal fashion, maybe it blocks it that way? I'm not sure, but the only reason I could see for not raising the winch another inch is that it would block the logo (like the early renders did). Maybe I'm jaded, but in product engineering meetings in the past I've had, I've had PMs make decisions to limit functionality for appearance, so it wouldn't shock me to see this sacrificed for the sake of keeping the logo visible.

I considered buying the Ford option and, if I had the points available, I would and experimenting to see what can be done with it, but I'm not dropping $3k on an experiment esp when the other options are considerably less expensive. My theory was that you could remove it for your drive in and bolt it in place when you were going wheeling.

I was hoping this solution would work, it seemed to be the most likely solve, but that whole area is excluded with the lack of space, so if you have Lux, the only option I can see working is a Ford-like mount that raises it above the bumper and blocks the camera. If you don't have the Lux package/ACC, then you have a lot more options.
Remember this includes the winch!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
FYI in workshop manuals and verified in person the 2.3l 10r60 has the cooler on transcase,and the 2.7l has the cooler on the front support,has nothing to do with trailer package.
Thanks for taking the time to find out!

I kind of suspected that. I have the tow package anyway, so I already knew that I would have to deal with it anyway.

Sponsored

TakeNoGuff

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Armada, Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, Soon Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It doesn't look like it is easy to reach in to release the rope so you can pull it out. It must be a larger opening than what it looks like.

Doug1250

Outer Banks
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, yes, yes. I had something similar on a couple Bronco II's and a Ranger, very nice. Folks will say it hangs too low, and for deep mud maybe, but if you're crashing into rocks there your not going anywhere anyway. Only issue for me is I've ordered the Blue Ox Towing Base plate which mounts to the same locations. It's currently backordered and if it doesn't show up first I could get this and mount the towbar to the shackle points.

EDIT: One concern for using as a towbar mount, the instructions say to install the shackle mounts loosely then pull forward as far as possible, The holes are slotted and would work fine when pulling, but might not hold in braking when the towed pushes forward.

That is what I did I ordered this complete kit and be sure you order the shackle relocation brackets. They are sold separately. I am using the shackle system to toad my Bronco.
Daaaaaaaaang, the winch mount plate seems fairly thin considering that plate will be responsible for carrying the entire load on the line.

They list it's for their 12,000 lb winch so they must have tested it. It just doesn't look like it would take that without material failure.
This thing is very heavy duty the pics do not do it justice!! Mine came in today

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That is what I did I ordered this complete kit and be sure you order the shackle relocation brackets. They are sold separately. I am using the shackle system to toad my Bronco.

This thing is very heavy duty the pics do not do it justice!! Mine came in today
I don't know if I would call it "very heavy duty", but it does appear that it may be adequate. Very heavy duty in my mind would be 3/8" to 1/2" plate, which is overkill - and thus would be "very heavy duty".

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmm, sorry, looks like a dumb idea to me. One of the great things about the Bronco, and which the designers worked hard on, is the approach angle. Approach angle is very important when actually going off road, which is when you might need a winch. This system ruins approach angle. Now, some might say that it doesn't hang down any lower then the front cross member, so ground clearance isn't affected. True. But approach angle is severely affected. The front cross member lifts up with the tires, which is why on the trail you put a tire on the high spots specifically to increase ground clearance. Approach angle is important because the tire isn't there yet to drive over the high spot.

Kinda cool looking. But dumb if you'll really go off road. Thing is, there are ways to increase vehicle capability in one area WITHOUT decreasing capability in another area. This product adds in one area, getting a winch, but detracts in another area, approach angle. Stick to products that increase, but don't also decrease.
Exactly, I spend a lot of time in the rocks and rock shelves. The times when I have needed to winch, this would have been below rock shelf level or pinned in by a large bolder. It's definitely not goin on my rig.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it's a practical solution, however a word of caution with this approach, as its been advised in other winch threads on the forum, make sure that 100 plus pound projectile is very securely tied down as if you roll the vehicle you don't want it flying around and killing someone in the vehicle.

In addition will the rear cross member that the hitch is mounted to handle high winch loads without bending?
additionally, whenever I'm in the need to winch myself out, I'm most likely in the position that if I unstrapped a winch (carried inside) it just may run over me on the way out the back side or even top!! I rarely winch on level ground. No way I'd pack along one inside with me.
Sponsored