First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Wondering if I could use the same skid plates off a ranger or just wait to see what aftermarket does. I remember when I did the Off-Roadeo in Moab the control arm and the trail arm was what I saw get hit the most and what I felt on a big drop. So wondering if anyone knew or what everyone else was planning to do.
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wondering if I could use the same skid plates off a ranger or just wait to see what aftermarket does. I remember when I did the Off-Roadeo in Moab the control arm and the trail arm was what I saw get hit the most and what I felt on a big drop. So wondering if anyone knew or what everyone else was planning to do.
I also am curious who has armor for the dangly bits. My Ranger gets caught on the rear shock mount bottoms on a fairly regular basis when going up steps/waterfalls.. Its a big concern.

Attached is a photo taken from a video from my last big trip. Looking at the shock mounts and comparing it to the bronco, not sure it’ll be close enough to share armor.

6B10F82D-E39B-42CB-A0B2-E66F3BD0602B.png

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hate the shock mount/arm design and it's what I loved about the the Tacoma design... up and out of the way. This was an engineering miss that will certainly need more armor.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just up the road from you and ironically I did Moab as well (went out on the 2nd day they opened). I agree with you 100%, when we rubbed it was always those darn arms.

Nice bunch of guys at Moab. Did you enjoy it?

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did the NH off rodeo. I noted and the guide noted the same area catching by far the most.

Sponsored

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm wondering this as well. Does anyone know of any aftermarket solutions for the rear lower control arm mount protection?

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought Fun Haver had some rear shock mount skid plate things coming out?
That will be some time coming. Right now all they seem to be selling is Hats & T-shirts as that's all they ever email me about. :sneaky:

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After going on a few wheeling trips in my own Bronco, my biggest concern is how exposed the control/trailing arms are. They seem to hang lower than everything else. Even when picking good lines, the trailing arm mounts seemed to drag and scrape against rocks. The other Bronco owners I know who actually wheel their Broncos, have voiced the same complaint. We are in desperate need for some control/trailing arm mount protection. But nothing is available right now (unless we were to make it ourselves).

Even with all the buzz around the Bronco builds at SEMA, I haven’t seen any aftermarket skid plate solutions that would protect these components. These companies seem more concerned with visual modifications, than armor that would actually protect the undercarriage of the Bronco. I don’t think too many of them actually wheeled their builds too hard.

I’m hoping as more people take delivery of their Broncos, and actually take them trailing, they will voice similar concerns. Because as of now, the aftermarket doesn’t seem to think it’s an actual problem.

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Could they be longer and tucked up into the frame? Would that weaken the frame?

Or, could a couple of "triangles" be welded from the frame to the trailing arm mount? Sort of a ramp to ease the transition?

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

definitely a concern and one of the first mods I'd do if available, don't really need any lights or different bumpers. I thought I saw photos of some made by some 3rd party on here a while ago, but they might have been a one off self made thing too. Can't be too hard to design and manufacture, I'd think these will be available soon.

And yes, Sema seems to be more show car/mallcrawler/brodozer than useful mods so far, haven't seen much in actually useful (to me) things. Just waiting for the angry eye grill, that one's still missing ;-)

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After going on a few wheeling trips in my own Bronco, my biggest concern is how exposed the control/trailing arms are. They seem to hang lower than everything else. Even when picking good lines, the trailing arm mounts seemed to drag and scrape against rocks. The other Bronco owners I know who actually wheel their Broncos, have voiced the same complaint. We are in desperate need for some control/trailing arm mount protection. But nothing is available right now (unless we were to make it ourselves).

Even with all the buzz around the Bronco builds at SEMA, I haven’t seen any aftermarket skid plate solutions that would protect these components. These companies seem more concerned with visual modifications, than armor that would actually protect the undercarriage of the Bronco. I don’t think too many of them actually wheeled their builds too hard.

I’m hoping as more people take delivery of their Broncos, and actually take them trailing, they will voice similar concerns. Because as of now, the aftermarket doesn’t seem to think it’s an actual problem.
you forgot to mention the unprotected plastic gas tank! I would like to see some armor for that!

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think Camburg Racing had one with skids :

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

you forgot to mention the unprotected plastic gas tank! I would like to see some armor for that!
Luckily, my spotters have been good enough to where I haven’t touched the gas tank. Although the little mini skid plate in front of it has some scratches.

Are the Badlands and Black Diamond trims much more protected from the factory than the other trims?

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think Camburg Racing had one with skids :
Any idea when they’ll be for sale, if they’ll ever be on sale? If so, major props to them. I’ll buy them as soon as their available.

Edit: Nevermind, they’re plastic.
Sponsored

Last edited: