John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds like me. I have an old Cobra CB with a K-40 mag mount antenna. Haven't used it in years.
Sponsored

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For those of you who have wheeled this area before, I always see people refer to wheeling near Slade, and a few rock trail references like "Widowmaker" and "Gatekeeper". Is this stuff in the Hollerwood offroad park? Or can these be found in some other way? What's down there besides the DBBB and what's the best way to find additional trails?
Iā€™ve also been out of the game for a few years and eager to get back in. Been going down to that area since 2000 when the main spot everyone went was Livingston KY a lot of us called it ā€œexit 49ā€ because it was behind a truck stop off the exit. I believe the state calls it Cromer Ridge. It got shut down years ago because people kept getting stat flighted out of there darn near every weekend from atv wrecks. You can still go there but itā€™s more of a overland trail now and is very limited but has a couple cool obstacles like plumbers crack. Back in 2010 many people stated to migrate over to Slade KY where red river gorge is thatā€™s where the widow maker, little widow, hair pin, carburetor hill, holiday hill and many others I canā€™t remember names of them all itā€™s pretty awesome but really hardcore if you take the wrong trail. Donā€™t quote me but I believe hollerwood park is part of that trail system now but itā€™s kept up and trails are now marked. Theyā€™ve tried to shut it down for years like exit 49 but it has gone mainstream now and you need a permit from my understanding Itā€™s all private and state owned trails. There is so much down there you could spend a good 4 to 5 days exploring it all definitely take someone with you that knows the trials or go with one of the many group rides they have all the time. Thereā€™s many bypasses but you donā€™t want to get going down the wrong trail like widow maker or your get body damage and axle breakage unless your on 40s and armored up.

I just recently just found out they finally opened the Daniel Boone byway up and Iā€™m really excited to ride it. I forgot I had this YouTube channel till just now šŸ˜†itā€™s been that long, sure doesnā€™t feel like it. My rig was the jku at this time I think I was on 35s but after this trip and the widow maker I went 1 ton axes, coil overs and 40s. Lol Anyways definitely go back or go with group. Hopefully we will put together one for next year with some broncos and not run hard the super hard stuff just the fun stuff Iā€™m over breaking down on the trails been there too many times. Oh yea and Miguelā€™s pizza is great we always would stop there after a wheeling trip itā€™s in the Red River gorge area on the main little strip of road by the park.

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™ve also been out of the game for a few years and eager to get back in. Been going down to that area since 2000 when the main spot everyone went was Livingston KY a lot of us called it ā€œexit 49ā€ because it was behind a truck stop off the exit. I believe the state calls it Cromer Ridge. It got shut down years ago because people kept getting stat flighted out of there darn near every weekend from atv wrecks. You can still go there but itā€™s more of a overland trail now and is very limited but has a couple cool obstacles like plumbers crack. Back in 2010 many people stated to migrate over to Slade KY where red river gorge is thatā€™s where the widow maker, little widow, hair pin, carburetor hill, holiday hill and many others I canā€™t remember names of them all itā€™s pretty awesome but really hardcore if you take the wrong trail. Donā€™t quote me but I believe hollerwood park is part of that trail system now but itā€™s kept up and trails are now marked. Theyā€™ve tried to shut it down for years like exit 49 but it has gone mainstream now and you need a permit from my understanding Itā€™s all private and state owned trails. There is so much down there you could spend a good 4 to 5 days exploring it all definitely take someone with you that knows the trials or go with one of the many group rides they have all the time. Thereā€™s many bypasses but you donā€™t want to get going down the wrong trail like widow maker or your get body damage and axle breakage unless your on 40s and armored up.

I just recently just found out they finally opened the Daniel Boone byway up and Iā€™m really excited to ride it. I forgot I had this YouTube channel till just now šŸ˜†itā€™s been that long, sure doesnā€™t feel like it. My rig was the jku at this time I think I was on 35s but after this trip and the widow maker I went 1 ton axes, coil overs and 40s. Lol Anyways definitely go back or go with group. Hopefully we will put together one for next year with some broncos and not run hard the super hard stuff just the fun stuff Iā€™m over breaking down on the trails been there too many times. Oh yea and Miguelā€™s pizza is great we always would stop there after a wheeling trip itā€™s in the Red River gorge area on the main little strip of road by the park.
Wow! Thanks for the info! We had a ton of fun on DBBB and could tell that there was a lot more going on there than just the overland loop. Looks like there's a lot more to explore! šŸ‘šŸ˜Ž

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Frankie945, BroncoRick, we need to keep this thread active and try and get a easy ride together for new Bronco owners like Spaas Creek Rd. or Pumpkin Hollow Rd. next year.
From YouTube videos these seem like mild trails with some light technical features. I wheeled hard back in the day, not interested in bashing through the woods in my new Bronco like the old days. Young and dumb was the rule back then. Would like to think I'm older and wiser now, but still ready to play in the mud. Miguel's is a given after a day of wheeling.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Frankie945, BroncoRick, we need to keep this thread active and try and get a easy ride together for new Bronco owners like Spaas Creek Rd. or Pumpkin Hollow Rd. next year.
From YouTube videos these seem like mild trails with some light technical features. I wheeled hard back in the day, not interested in bashing through the woods in my new Bronco like the old days. Young and dumb was the r
ule back then. Would like to think I'm older and wiser now but still ready to play in the mud. Miguel's is a given after a day of wheeling.
Yeah, there's nothing too rough except the rocks on Old Fincastle and the deep ruts and mud on Furnace-Pilot. Couple of deep water crossings but nothing needing a snorkel. Rest is cake. Great exploring and wayfinding though. I would like to do it again when the colors change on the trees in the fall--it'd be spectacular....

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Rick,,,, Are you selling/retiring the Jeep after you get your BD??

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Rick,,,, Are you selling/retiring the Jeep after you get your BD??
I'd prefer to keep it, as it only has 84k miles, is running pretty good now, and we'll likely need a 3rd set of wheels in the family soon. And I'm at the back of the Bronco line anyways... didn't reserve until the second week of August '21 as I wanted to wait to test drive one to see if it was even a possibility. I think it's going to be a while of dreaming still :ROFLMAO:

I go back and forth about BD and BL also. The BL swaybar disconnect would be ideal for trips like these where you have trails separated by a bunch of highway and gravel miles, and you need to keep moving all day long. But I prefer the simplicity, interior, and frontend of the BD, and a couple years down the road there will likely be a Currie Antirock for it anyways. In reality the whole DBBB could probably be done without disconnecting as long as you had a Sasquatch with both lockers available, or at least a rear locker and some recovery gear. I spent a week out in Colorado this year running a bunch of fun trails and didn't disconnect once--only aired down tires.

Sponsored

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went back and forth between BL and WT,,, built the BL identical to the WT, very minimal diff in price. It'll be wife's DD, so she preferred the painted grill and black wheels of the WT, along with Sport mode vs Rock Crawl. With SAS, 35's, F&R lockers, should be able to handle anything I'm interested in doing. Winch and recovery gear will be inbound soon. Already own air comp and deflation tool so got that covered. We order next Wednesday hopefully, then the wait begins.

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Part 2, all the pavement miles between the Punkin Hollow and Furnace-Pilot trails. The DBBB isn't all trails--it is interconnected by a bunch of pavement and gravel roads. It is on these types of overland routes that I think the suspension of the Bronco will really shine; hopping seamlessly from the offroad trails to the road miles, and back again, all day long.

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I went back and forth between BL and WT,,, built the BL identical to the WT, very minimal diff in price. It'll be wife's DD, so she preferred the painted grill and black wheels of the WT, along with Sport mode vs Rock Crawl. With SAS, 35's, F&R lockers, should be able to handle anything I'm interested in doing. Winch and recovery gear will be inbound soon. Already own air comp and deflation tool so got that covered. We order next Wednesday hopefully, then the wait begins.
We are looking to order one for our daughter and was thinking WT too...lose the stay bar but gain Sport mode. Rock Crawl mode is just configuring it the same as you could by hitting buttons yourself, Low range, rear locker, etc. I think Sport mode is the better gain and can't be configured without a tune. My dealer is pretty cool with everything you can do to a vehicle (lift, intakes, exhaust, etc.) except tunes...that is a one way ticket to unhappiness with them. I also agree with the previous post I believe Currie will come out with a bar for these soon.

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Part 3, Furnace-Pilot Road. This would probably be the section that I would be most likely to bypass in a brand new Bronco. It starts out weird, as you travel down an official county road that is still in dispute. Almost immediately after that, it turns into a very rutted out, muddy mess. Bronco on 33's is a minimum for this one due to the ruts, Sasquatch would be better. Anything less than Sasquatch and you will be dragging the skidplates over stuff. Fun part of the loop for sure, but you definitely have to commit to it.

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Part 4, Pilot road to Barkers Branch road, a bunch of pavement miles in-between trails.
...and...
Part 5, Fixer-Leeco road all the way to Bald Rock Fork road. Mostly gravel, but some stuff you have to more slowly traverse. No huge obstacles on this one, and perfect for using the higher-speed offroad modes in the Bronco.

Having a bit of trouble getting my un-converted late reservation converted to an order... hopefully will get that resolved this week...

Sponsored