Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You haven't seen a better formula?

Fill 100% of reservations before you start cranking out other orders. What could be simpler than that?
My response to Tonka answers this.
Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
But my dealer said.....🤣🤣🤣
This thread has replaced that with "but Ford said". Many people don't seem to understand how much has changed and that Ford needs to do what works today and not what applied 6 months ago.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Someone please lay out an allocation system that best balances all reservations (at big and small dealerships), supply constraints, and makes logistical sense.
A fair model doesn't exist as someone will always benefit at the expense of someone else as demand is greater than production capacity. However, the system I would advocate for would be one that guarantees all remaining 2020 reservations are built in MY22. This could be accomplished by holding back a number from the estimated production total. For example, if Ford thinks it can build 100,000 units in 2022, then hold back 10k. Use the newly posted allocation formula to distribute 90k Broncos and the 10k is allocated as needed to dealerships to clear their 2020 reservation backlog. The dealerships that offered deals (Granger, Stephens, BU, Chapman, Mullinax et al) and have an above average 2020 reservation backlog probably only account for 2000 "extra" reservations once you back out scheduled MY21 units. And if Mega-dealership needs to be appeased then redo the MY23 allocation formula to be based of historical sales and leave Bronco reservations out of the calculation. @Ford Motor Company DM me and I will let you know where to mail the consulting check.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think you would agree that Ford has repeatedly changed the rules of the game in the last 14 months. None of those changes has hurt large dealers, but many of the those changes have hurt small dealers and early reservation holders.
You'd have to give me some specific examples.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My logic is that many people are allegedly unhappy with traditional distribution. Ford modified to to make it more competitive for the customer, and those folks are unhappy that they're not being built in exactly the order of timestamp. It would be incredibly inefficient to build them that way.

If this was the normal way that Ford distributed production, you would have seen markups on every Bronco, not just the ones that shake free. This system allowed you as a consumer to shop dealers for the best deal on a factory order, under the old system that wasn't really possible.
I would have been fine with that - a more traditional launch. Offer the vehicle when it's better prepared for prime time without issues. Let the "first kid on the block" and big spender types do their thing, paying ADMs or whatever.

As that burned through, I'd be checking out the Bronco versions and their features, and then eventually cutting a reasonable priced order with a dealer. Whatever Ford was trying with it's early reservation marketing scheme (which blew up in their face when they could not deliver), it was not so good for customers like me from the get go.

I'm considering a different new vehicle coming out this spring, and the maker is not offering early reservations. Thank god - I won't have to hear about "reservation time stamps" and all that other malarkey.

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My response to Tonka answers this.
No it does not. I said build reservations before non reservations. I understand you can't build them in 100% order. But please explain to me why I made a reservation at all if some big market ADM dealer is going to get my exact car as a stock order before mine ever shows up to the discount dealer I chose?

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

From your mouth to the Ford Gods ears Sean. I've bought nothing but Fords for my daily drivers since 1986 (10 to be exact. The Bronco would be 11). I know that means nothing to Ford, but it does to me. And I'm tellin' ya, I'm not the happiest camper right now. So, I hope you are right my friend.
I right there with you, mine is a dirt mountain build that is now part of the airbag recall. My fiancee is rolling around in a 16 year old BMW X3 I bought as a placeholder until the Bronco after I sold my Ranger. I bought that car in June, it was only supposed to be a couple of months.

Pl8to

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A fair model doesn't exist as someone will always benefit at the expense of someone else as demand is greater than production capacity. However, the system I would advocate for would be one that guarantees all remaining 2020 reservations are built in MY22. This could be accomplished by holding back a number from the estimated production total. For example, if Ford thinks it can build 100,000 units in 2022, then hold back 10k. Use the newly posted allocation formula to distribute 90k Broncos and the 10k is allocated as needed to dealerships to clear their 2020 reservation backlog. The dealerships that offered deals (Granger, Stephens, BU, Chapman, Mullinax et al) and have an above average 2020 reservation backlog probably only account for 2000 "extra" reservations once you back out scheduled MY21 units. And if Mega-dealership needs to be appeased then redo the MY23 allocation formula to be based of historical sales and leave Bronco reservations out of the calculation. @Ford Motor Company DM me and I will let you know where to mail the consulting check.
THANK YOU! Really this is the kind of response that isn't just complaining and is offering a more balanced response. I'll PayPal you your $1,000,000 fee when I get Bronco delivered.

GiveItaTri

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You'd have to give me some specific examples.
Well, this thread started with the best example. Even you said this current allocation formula will hurt dealers like Granger. I also remember Ford saying that no dealer stock would be produced until all reservations were built. That's a good example of a change that hurt reservation holder.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would have been fine with that - a more traditional launch. Offer the vehicle when it's better prepared for prime time without issues. Let the "first kid on the block" and big spender types do their thing, paying ADMs or whatever.

As that burned through, I'd be checking out the Bronco versions and their features, and then eventually cutting a reasonable priced order with a dealer. Whatever Ford was trying with it's early reservation marketing scheme (which blew up in their face when they could not deliver), it was not so good for customers like me from the get go.

I'm considering a different new vehicle coming out this spring, and the maker is not offering early reservations. Thank god - I won't have to hear about "reservation time stamps" and all that other malarkey.
The demand wouldn't be different, there would still be 125k people trying to buy 60k Broncos (which Ford would have built as soft tops with the MIC situation).

I know a lot of people think that the markups would disappear in a small amount of time, but I've done this song and dance. When demand out strips supply by 2 to 1, you get ADMs until there's on the ground inventory in large quantities, and that was never going to be the case with Bronco based on the demand.

Sponsored

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think that is where the "makes logistical sense" comes in. If they built broncos by reservations their output would be extremely small. Saying "build in order of reservation" is not in anyway an actual plan. That's like me saying "Why doesn't Ford just build them all faster and give us our Bronco's right now".

The excess broncos that are going to be built while waiting for resources have to get allocated somewhere so there has to be a plan for those as well.
Thats not what I'm advocating for. It makes perfect sense to build what they can with priority given to existing orders but in this case it appears that I may not have my order built in a timely manner unless I work with a big dealer. The gripe is FMC came out with this reservation system and made a promise that they later rescinded to build existing orders prior to delivering dealer stock to the extent possible. The fact is, there will be many unhappy reservation holders working through smaller dealers unless there is a representation of fairness.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is all crazy to me. How are early MY21 reservations still not getting priority? Especially those wanting a 2 door after being forgotten all year? Make it make sense.
Simple answer, Ford doesn't care lol.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well, this thread started with the best example. Even you said this current allocation formula will hurt dealers like Granger. I also remember Ford saying that no dealer stock would be produced until all reservations were built. That's a good example of a change that hurt reservation holder.
I have had exactly one stock Bronco scheduled, and it was special allocation given to us. Maybe some dealers have gotten some soft top big bends scheduled, but it's not like there's a bunch of stock Badlands Sas/Lux Hard tops running around.

As I said, Granger is the outlier, and because of their tenacity, they will get far more Broncos than they would have under any traditional allocation formula. They probably have more Bronco orders than their average throughput over the last 3 years combined. @Zach@Granger can likely verify that.

I don't think anyone here gets the level of demand this car brought. If orders were deliveries, the Bronco would be our store's best seller overnight, by a wide margin.

GiveItaTri

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had exactly one stock Bronco scheduled, and it was special allocation given to us. Maybe some dealers have gotten some soft top big bends scheduled, but it's not like there's a bunch of Badlands Sas/Lux Hard tops running around.

As I said, Granger is the outlier, and because of their tenacity, they will get far more Broncos than they would have under any traditional allocation formula. They probably have more Bronco orders than their average throughput over the last 3 years combined. @Zach@Granger can likely verify that.

I don't think anyone here gets the level of demand this car brought. If orders were deliveries, the Bronco would be our best seller overnight, by a wide margin.
I'm truly not arguing with you. You asked me to support my point, I believe I did.

Pl8to

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No it does not. I said build reservations before non reservations. I understand you can't build them in 100% order. But please explain to me why I made a reservation at all if some big market ADM dealer is going to get my exact car as a stock order before mine ever shows up to the discount dealer I chose?
Do you know how many of those dealer "stock" were simply just canceled orders?
Sponsored