indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The demand wouldn't be different, there would still be 125k people trying to buy 60k Broncos (which Ford would have built as soft tops with the MIC situation).

I know a lot of people think that the markups would disappear in a small amount of time, but I've done this song and dance. When demand out strips supply by 2 to 1, you get ADMs until there's on the ground inventory in large quantities, and that was never going to be the case with Bronco based on the demand.
I'm not sure there would be 125k people. Or at least, it would be a different scenario and time span. The early reservation scheme brought in a different crowd. 40k of early reservationists didn't even follow through on ordering. And then there are those who have failed to pickup their orders (which ended up on lots with ADM). The early reservation scheme, with essentially no buy-in, brought a boatload of dreamers and whatnot. And it put customers like me at the back of the bus behind all those people.

In my opinion, Ford should have waited to offer the Bronco, until it was more ready for primetime. That would have meant not offering a flawed hardtop. And Ford could have more easily pushed back the release date, without having to deal with 100k+ clamoring reservationists.

Big spenders would have swooped in on release paying ADMs. Fine. Meanwhile cooler heads would prevail among some potential buyers realizing the vehicle was not a good match. Customers like me would have checked and tested out the various Bronco versions, and eventually cut a deal.

I don't see how Ford roping in all manner of Tom/Dick/Harry with their early reservation scheme, and "not ready for prime time" vehicle launch, was good for customers like me.
Sponsored

Pl8to

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is Ford following the reservation system perfectly, no not at all, that went out the window when everything went to shit (and if you expect otherwise you may be off your rocker). They have a keep revenue coming in and right now with all the vehicle issues across the board they are going to crank Bronco's out in the best way possible. I'm happy if they continue to honor the reservations system 75% of the way, as I know it just doesn't make sense to build all reservations first.

Just remember most people on this forum are customers (many even bought from a big dealer 😲) and some of us are going to be happy customers quicker, but at the end of the day just smile and enjoy your damn Bronco when you get it. And if you can't wait, then move on, go buy a Jeep or a 4Runner and come back to Bronco when you can more easily get one. Just stop your damn bellyaching.

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Future Bronco customers will be more at peace when they realize that regardless of what Ford has said or promised in the past, the ONLY thing a reservation does is provide your contact information to Ford so they can do targeted marketing and outreach.

Divorce yourself of the expectation that your reservation means anything related to when you actually get your Bronco and you will be much happier and have a ton more free time.

Until Ford actually stands up a direct sales channel, separate and distinct from their dealership business model, the end customer or their precious reservation will never be a priority.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
[/QUOTE]
. Just stop your damn bellyaching.
[/QUOTE]

"bellyaching" by big market dealers is what changed the initial plan to fill them roughly in timestamp order, homie...it seems reasonable that people are pissed that Ford reneged on their reservation plan..because of that bellyaching you claim not to like...

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get that I guess I'm just tired of a lot of people complaining about this allocation method assuming that it is automatically hurting reservation holders at small dealerships. If you think about it simply from a numbers standpoint, if a dealer has historically sold more cars then it will most likely have more reservations. If it has historically sold less cars it's probably in a lower population area that has less reservations. If that holds true, which on average it will, then this allocation shouldn't necessarily hurt reservation holders at small dealers anymore than at big dealers.

There will be outliers of course like Granger and such, but on average I don't see how this screws anyone over anymore than anyone else.

Speaking of Granger dealers like that knew this was a risk, whether they relayed that to customers or not it's a different story.
This response makes no sense.
Reservation holders selected their preferred dealers based on factors outside the the ones you outlined. We have no idea what 3 years sales volume looks like in 2020 for MY22, and did not pick the dealership based on those numbers. Your logic falls short on equating reservation numbers with allocation numbers too. This vehicle model has not been sold for 25 years and there was no market data available to predict the reservation response. It was not until AFTER the reservations were flowing in that the larger dealers might be cut off from sales. Once X-plan was off the table, the allocation model for MY21 was revealed and the truth was out. Reservations DO NOT matter for anyone at a small dealer. MY21 deliveries was hard enough, but MY22 will be almost impossible for most reservation holders at small dealers. The result will be MY22 dealer stock vehicles being produced WAY before reservation holders based solely on dealer volume and allocations.

Furthermore, if the dealership had less to sell less, the it's also true that if a dealer had more it sold more. However, this has/had/having nothing to do with the Bronco. Your assumption on allocations = reservations did not hold true for MY21, and it will not hold true for MY22. There were way more reservations than allocations for every dealer (I haven't heard otherwise), but the reservation distribution did not follow traditional allocations for sales volume (based on the dealerships I've communicated with over the past year). I get that there was a cutoff, but the math for the MY22 cutoff will be more severe for smaller dealers than the initial math in regards to the Bronco reservation holders vs allocations.

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do you know how many of those dealer "stock" were simply just canceled orders?
You realize we're all talking about 2022 here right? It's there in a headline.

Prioritizing allocation over reservation means dealer stock WILL be built before some reservations.

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

True and the reason a certain dealer isn't up at 1:30 worrying. They sell Jeeps also.
If you're talking about the dealer I think you're talking about, I got an email from the owner at 11pm last night. Sure it's not 1:30, but don't claim he doesn't put in the hours.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, while your cherry picked example is the most extreme case, I can see where it would not be the most efficient method. Couple points though; Ford invented the Bronco specific allocation formula in part to get the Bronco's out to more geographical locations, at least that was one of the claims. So they were not choosing the most efficient path regardless and it was outside their 'normal' allocation formulas of the past. The motivations for its addition after the fact appeared to have been designed to favor dealers over the res holders.

Since it is apparently obvious to you (a dealer) that production according to time stamp would have been extremely inefficient, It seems the two alternatives you are implying is that Ford would have to be either incompetent or flat out lying to reservation holders about the original deal that a $100 reservation would act as a (as close to practicable) placeholder for order of production. Unless you have a third or fourth explanation as to why Ford originally had those terms in place?

Regardless of their motivations or your evaluation of their competence, Ford making those promises was an integral part of generating the huge number of reservations at the start of the process (FOMO is real for many people). People don't like playing by the rules and having the rules changed in the middle. The feel they are being cheated. Can you blame them?
The timestamp as relative position in line is still accurate. Ford said that that, along with build configuration, location, and similar builds would dictate build and delivery timing. It is still accurate, the MIC top situation modified what commodities were available.

I understand your view on the geographical component being less efficient, but remember that was 25% of the formula, so that was a play at conquesting existing off-roaders.

All of that turned out to be moot since most dealers didn't get their full allocation anyway. Our store received 65% of our promised 2021 allocation.

Ford is not intentionally shorting customers or dealers, it's a product of the current global supply chain. I haven't had more than 50 new cars on the ground since May. I normally carry 500+.

Ford had 100k reservations by 7/30, the demand is mostly organic in my view.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What I don't understand is why everyone treats the Grangers and such as somehow better dealers than other "big dealers".
Let me help you. Not only did Granger offer a competitive price, they're the most honest and transparent dealer most have ever dealt with. The amount of information they've contributed to this forum alone should answer your question.

I absolutely loathe the dealer car buying experience. Many here do. It's why I typically buy from private sellers. The reason I, and so many others switched to Granger, was because many (not all) of the "Big Dealers" are asshats. The mega dealer I was originally with here in Utah certainly qualifies. It's invaluable knowing the day you walk into a dealer you won't be screwed.

Have you spent much time on this forum and seen what's been going on with mark-ups, reservations being stolen, etc..?

The result is people are frustrated because that bad behavior is essentially being rewarded because a dealership resides in a big city.

Thank you @Zach@Granger!! And we'll see you Saturday!

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Gloff @Pl8to care to explain this then? No reservation, gets build email a week after ordering? This is my exact order besides color so why should allocation come I to it at all? This is a reservation system. Allocations are for systems that can meet demand.

Screenshot_20210930-151252_Chrome.jpg
How many reservations did this dealer have? How many were soft top? And your Dealer's reservation and soft top counts? Are there similar orders to yours with earlier timestamps that got scheduled? What about location, where is your dealer vs. theirs, how many dealers nearby with similar builds?

Sponsored

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The new formula gives almost no weight to the number of reservations. All that hard work by Granger, while it helped with MY21 allocations, will have very little impact on MY22 allocations. What benefit is it to Granger to have a lot of Bronco orders if that isn't factored into the allocations?
25% of the weight is based on 2021 allocations (of which Granger got a ton relative to their size). Granger got way more allocations because of Albert and Zach's hard work and outstanding pricing. Their hard work for 2021 will get them more allocations in 2022 as well.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm not sure there would be 125k people. Or at least, it would be a different scenario and time span. The early reservation scheme brought in a different crowd. 40k of early reservationists didn't even follow through on ordering. And then there are those who have failed to pickup their orders (which ended up on lots with ADM). The early reservation scheme, with essentially no buy-in, brought a boatload of dreamers and whatnot. And it put customers like me at the back of the bus behind all those people.

In my opinion, Ford should have waited to offer the Bronco, until it was more ready for primetime. That would have meant not offering a flawed hardtop. And Ford could have more easily pushed back the release date, without having to deal with 100k+ clamoring reservationists.

Big spenders would have swooped in on release paying ADMs. Fine. Meanwhile cooler heads would prevail among some potential buyers realizing the vehicle was not a good match. Customers like me would have checked and tested out the various Bronco versions, and eventually cut a deal.

I don't see how Ford roping in all manner of Tom/Dick/Harry with their early reservation scheme, and "not ready for prime time" vehicle launch, was good for customers like me.
Have a source on that 40K? We're converting early reservations at a higher clip than later.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
25% of the weight is based on 2021 allocations (of which Granger got a ton relative to their size). Granger got way more allocations because of Albert and Zach's hard work and outstanding pricing. Their hard work for 2021 will get them more allocations in 2022 as well.
Yeah, so that 2021 allocation number was based 50% on reservations held (the rest favored bigger dealers)...so that 25% that goes into this years formula translates to 12.5% weighting on reservations held back in 2020. The factor that should be predominate, weighs in at a whopping 12.5%.

Mustard

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 300C, Dodge Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, so that 2021 allocation number was based 50% on reservations held (the rest favored bigger dealers)...so that 25% that goes into this years formula translates to 12.5% weighting on reservations held back in 2020. The factor that should be predominate, weighs in at a whopping 12.5%.
Plus the MY21 allocation only counted reservations made before 9/19/20 that were converted to orders, right? (Or did I make that up?) If so, then all the reservations for Oct deals add nothing to the MY22 allocation (might be a small bump, but still a bump)
Sponsored