Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My Wife has mastered the art of bending even those on her JKU, as of this September she's up to a Wide Open Designs 1-3/4 Aluminum tie rod.. She hasn't bent that yet, but has only had one serious wheeling trip on it so far..
Best part of 404 mogs, is where they put the tie rods, behind axle. Even sleeved, pretty much level with bottom of axle tube. The fact the bronco tie rods are also there, it's unlikely they were tagged by any rocks in this breakage.

DCP02187.jpg

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy 2500HD, 2008 Buell 1125R, 98 Buell S1W
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does any know if the threads on the tie rods are cut or cold rolled, should be cold rolled

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Best part of 404 mogs, is where they put the tie rods, behind axle. Even sleeved, pretty much level with bottom of axle tube. The fact the bronco tie rods are also there, it's unlikely they were tagged by any rocks in this breakage.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) DCP02187
Mogs are such unique beasts, and that is just one of the many great design moves they made. I think the ubiquitous Dana axles that don't have that space right behind the pumpkin to tuck it up into like the Mog's axles are why more rigs aren't setup with the tie-rod to the back.

Sponsored

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the owner's fault, not Ford's, the Bronco was not designed to take 37" tires from the factory. This was a stock Badlands, non-Sasquatch, the factory tires are 33" (285/70R17). Ford never said you could put 37" tires on a factory stock Bronco and not break things.

Should Ford consider strengthening the tie-rods in the future, maybe, but drive outside the limits of the design and you will break stuff, standard off-roading, pay to play.
This is why I went with the sasquatch package. I want 35s and I want a factory designed system not something that is modified outside of the design parameters. Perhaps Ford has simulated this type of impact on 33 inch tires with no issues. Moving to 37s could change a lot of angles and stress points.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get 90% of these vehicles toughest off-road condition will be a gravel road but why post about what you don't understand as if it is fact?
Hey, now… this is the Internet. That’s never stopped us before, and you can’t just change the rules on us now! 🤨

Last edited:

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is why I went with the sasquatch package. I want 35s and I want a factory designed system not something that is modified outside of the design parameters. Perhaps Ford has simulated this type of impact on 33 inch tires with no issues. Moving to 37s could change a lot of angles and stress points.
From my understanding the only thing the Sas package adds over the Badlands is taller bump stops (less travel), spacer lift, removed crash bars and 4.7 gears. All the gear that has been breaking is the same. Following the design and buildup of the Bronco I would bet that their first plan was that all broncos would be 33s and that was the design. After testing and marketing pushed them they added the SAS package for stats. I have a hard time thinking you would on purpose remove things like the crash bars. The Sas package at first was not going to allow you the sway bar disco either. The way the fenders are and that the tires do not stuff just seems like an afterthought.

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hey, now… this is the Internet. That’s never stopped us before, and you can’t just change the rules on now! 🤨
Right you are sir! I hang my head in shame!

yes Mog axles are incredible but they have become so expensive!
Didn’t someone post an Easter egg inside the fender that said Lift Me?

Last edited:

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

From my understanding the only thing the Sas package adds over the Badlands is taller bump stops (less travel), spacer lift, removed crash bars and 4.7 gears.
Badlands already comes with 4.7:1 final gearing .... if you get the right transmission.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Right you are sir! I hang my head in shame!

yes Mog axles are incredible but they have become so expensive!
Didn’t someone post an Easter egg inside the fender that said Lift Me?
NOS right here. Not bad when you don't have to upgrade anything.
No axle, locker, or gear upgrade needed (maybe disk brakes on 8 lug hubs).
Handle 43 SX stickies on a 6200 lb rig no problem.
https://expedition-imports.com/CRFRAXL

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

NOS right here. Not bad when you don't have to upgrade anything.
No axle, locker, or gear upgrade needed (maybe disk brakes on 8 lug hubs).
Handle 43 SX stickies on a 6200 lb rig no problem.
https://expedition-imports.com/CRFRAXL
Wow great find! It was probably 15 years ago? when I was deciding to switch between D60/C14, Mogs or Rockwells and the Mogs were double to triple the other combos. I ended up D60 front and C14 rear and it has been a great combo but another in our group runs the Rockwells and yet another the mogs and for the clearance and built in lockers the mogs are just so much fun to watch!

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
if you are looking for a specialty rock crawling vehicle, the prudent method would be to build a dedicated purpose vehicle. there is a reason for trailers...
Or buy a Wrangler :ROFLMAO:. Seriously, I would be trading my extremely reliable 2012 Wrangler for a Bronco but there is no way I would off-road the Bronco the same way I did the Wrangler. It'll be more of a distance cruiser and to tow the boat.

OU812

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Exlporer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this the 2nd bronco that broke or maybe a 3rd. Not my video. If it’s the 3rd this is becoming very disappointing.
Did you catch the part where the owner said “race and destroy”? I’m betting there is more to the story than wheeling down a trail.
Sponsored