Sponsored

Reaching Out To Dealerships — Any advice, or feedback on the approach I now plan to take?

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Somewhat related to this other thread of mine.

I've composed the following text. I intend, very soon, to seek out the web sites of various dealerships within range of my home, and to send this message (possibly modified according to any advice I receive here in this thread) to them.

I'm hoping to configure my Bronco as soon as the Build&Price tool is updated for the 2022 model year, and I hope next weekend, to visit a few dealerships from which I've received the most satisfactory response, and to finalize my order with one of them before the weekend is over.

My Name is Bob Blaylock.
I'm looking to spend a good chunk of my recent inheritance on a new vehicle, and have fairly solidly settled on the new Ford Bronco. I'm looking to buy a 2022 four-door Bronco Badlands, with a hardtop, the 2.7-liter V6 engine, automatic transmission, and the Luxe package. The following URL leads to an approximation of what I want, based on the 2021 “Build & Price” section of Ford's web site…
Before I finalize the order, I'm going to want to meet in person with a dealer, to see if I can get some minor variations over what seems to be offered. For example, with my wife having short legs, and I recovering from a leg injury, we will need steps to make it easier to get in and out of the vehicle. The tube steps that Ford offers are apparently incompatible with the rock rails that are standard on the Badlands trim. I'm wondering if I can have the rock rails omitted from my Badlands-trim Bronco, and the tube steps installed in their place. There do seem to be aftermarket solutions available for this, and for other variations I might want, but my time is limited, and I'd rather get it as much as possible the way I want it right from the dealership, and spend less time pursuing aftermarket modifications later.
The money to pay for this is sitting in my bank account, right now, and I intend to pay for it, in full, at the time I receive it.
Now, I have heard the horror stories, of several people who have waited for months, some over a year, for their Broncos, only to find out, when they finally show up to take delivery of it, that their dealer has decided, without previously telling them, to tack on a markup of thousands, or even tens of thousands of dollars; and I am determined to make sure that this does not happen to me. I've got plenty of money to buy what I want, if I get a fair price (which I define as not much more, if any more at all, than MSRP), but not enough that I can afford to let myself get screwed over as has happened to some. I do understand and accept that from the time I finalize my order, I will probably have to wait quite a while to actually receive my Bronco.
———
I am sending this message to several dealerships in and around my home in Sacramento, California, hoping to be able to narrow my quest down to a handful of dealers to visit, probably next weekend. Ford's “Build & Price” page is supposed to be updated, and reservations/ordering to be opened, this coming week, for the 2022 model year. I'm hoping to configure my Bronco very soon afterward, and on the immediately following weekend, to meet with a dealer, finalize the details, and get my order in.
My one biggest question for you is this: WILL YOU PROMISE TO SELL ME MY BRONCO, IF I ORDER IT TRHOUGH YOU, AT NO MORE THAN MSRP?
And if not, how much of a markup will you charge above MSRP? I am certainly going to want this in writing, before I make my order.
Please reply to me by email at this address: [redacted]

Like I said, based on responses to this message, I hope to choose handful of dealers to visit next weekend, at one of which to finalize my order.

Anyone have any useful thoughts or advice for me? I have never before bought a brand-new vehicle, and this is probably the only one that I ever will.[/I][/INDENT]
Sponsored

Last edited:

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hmmm, I am just wondering if you would be better off not telling them that you are paying cash before getting the price in writing. I think they may charge you more since they will know they can't mess around with the pricing in their finance offer. That's how they always get people, in the details. I'm sure there are reputable dealers out there, but just sayin'

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No one is going to read that email. Anyone that has a Bronco to sell will sell it without having to read so much.

Midlife Crisis

Badlands
First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing my 86 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You might want to refrain from talking price and your financial situation in that opening salvo.

Send a short letter asking for what you want and let them know that you will visit the dealer that comes back with the best written offer. Then play mommy against daddy.

Be brief. Get to your point immediately.

Sponsored

DrSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Honestly, and I mean no harm by this, but I don’t think you’re going to get any replies. Youre email is very long and you’ve laid out a lot of additional wants/needs. Your email is likely going to be scanned by a salesperson who will just delete because either they didn’t read it or are looking for a much easier lead.

I would highly suggest calling dealerships to find one that is well informed and go from there.

Midlife Crisis

Badlands
First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing my 86 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And by the way, your last sentence is horrible. Never give control to someone else when you want something. You tell them, not they tell you. You follow up.

Midlife Crisis

Badlands
First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing my 86 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bob, I read your other thread. You need to not talk about money if you are trying to negotiate. The only thing that matters is the price. Until you get an agreed upon price for what you want, in writing, discuss nothing else.

Then again, it's a limited supply item in a high demand market. you don't have much leverage.

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The most important questions, based on the news over the last few days, are to ask about the dealer's 2022 allocations as compared to the number of orders they have. That will tell you if they can even get you a Bronco.

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
1: Don't tell them you have money.
"I'm looking to spend a good chunk of my recent inheritance" - take that out.
Leave the money until you are IN the finance office closing the deal. More on this a bit later.

2: On the build & price, the MY22 B&P tool opens later this week. When it does, PRINT the configuration to PDF and send that instead.

3: Keep it Simple. Something like this instead;

Hello,
I am interested in ordering a Model Year 2022 Bronco with the following configuration:
STYLE: 2 Door
TRIM:Badlands
COLOR: Velocity Blue
TOP: Molded In Color (MIC)
Full configuration is in the attached PDF from the Build & Price tool.

Then state "I may need some accessibility options added for ease of entry/exit". Many dealerships have shops locally that do customizations, and there are some accessories such as steps and step rails to help.

And finalize with this:
I am looking to get an "Out The Door" price including Tax, Title, Tag, options, and any additional charges for this vehicle and what options may better suit my needs. My contact information is below.

Then sign with your full contact info, name, email, phone.

Don't ask about markups specifically. If they state they have one in the out-the-door quote, reject the offer. Period. There are dealerships out there selling for MSRP, and some lower. If the profile details are correct, you are in the Sacramento area, correct? Consider browsing the forums here for dealers offering decent pricing. Some may be out of state, but some also offer free shipping to you if you finance some through them, too.

Bottom line, its YOUR money. Don't let them take you for a ride. No need to spend more if you don't have to.

As for why you don't mention cash. They will try to avoid locking in numbers to get more out of you.
This video explains it all, and then some:
Don't Say You're Paying Cash

[EDIT} Also, let me add this given recent shenanigans from some dealerships:
When you go in, get the price quote on a PURCHASE AGREEMENT, and make sure its signed by them and yourself. The DORA/Order sheet isn't enough. If the paper doesn't say Purchase Agreement and doesn't have the final price and signatures from both parties, they can change the price or add markups until the final signature is done. Save yourself the headache of ordering today only to get hit with a big ADM in the finance office tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Somewhat related to this other thread of mine.

I've composed the following text. I intend, very soon, to seek out the web sites of various dealerships within range of my home, and to send this message (possibly modified according to any advice I receive here in this thread) to them.

I'm hoping to configure my Bronco as soon as the Build&Price tool is updated for the 2022 model year, and I hope next weekend, to visit a few dealerships from which I've received the most satisfactory response, and to finalize my order with one of them before the weekend is over.

My Name is Bob Blaylock.
I'm looking to spend a good chunk of my recent inheritance on a new vehicle, and have fairly solidly settled on the new Ford Bronco. I'm looking to buy a 2022 four-door Bronco Badlands, with a hardtop, the 2.7-liter V6 engine, automatic transmission, and the Luxe package. The following URL leads to an approximation of what I want, based on the 2021 “Build & Price” section of Ford's web site…
Before I finalize the order, I'm going to want to meet in person with a dealer, to see if I can get some minor variations over what seems to be offered. For example, with my wife having short legs, and I recovering from a leg injury, we will need steps to make it easier to get in and out of the vehicle. The tube steps that Ford offers are apparently incompatible with the rock rails that are standard on the Badlands trim. I'm wondering if I can have the rock rails omitted from my Badlands-trim Bronco, and the tube steps installed in their place. There do seem to be aftermarket solutions available for this, and for other variations I might want, but my time is limited, and I'd rather get it as much as possible the way I want it right from the dealership, and spend less time pursuing aftermarket modifications later.
The money to pay for this is sitting in my bank account, right now, and I intend to pay for it, in full, at the time I receive it.
Now, I have heard the horror stories, of several people who have waited for months, some over a year, for their Broncos, only to find out, when they finally show up to take delivery of it, that their dealer has decided, without previously telling them, to tack on a markup of thousands, or even tens of thousands of dollars; and I am determined to make sure that this does not happen to me. I've got plenty of money to buy what I want, if I get a fair price (which I define as not much more, if any more at all, than MSRP), but not enough that I can afford to let myself get screwed over as has happened to some. I do understand and accept that from the time I finalize my order, I will probably have to wait quite a while to actually receive my Bronco.
———
I am sending this message to several dealerships in and around my home in Sacramento, California, hoping to be able to narrow my quest down to a handful of dealers to visit, probably next weekend. Ford's “Build & Price” page is supposed to be updated, and reservations/ordering to be opened, this coming week, for the 2022 model year. I'm hoping to configure my Bronco very soon afterward, and on the immediately following weekend, to meet with a dealer, finalize the details, and get my order in.
My one biggest question for you is this: WILL YOU PROMISE TO SELL ME MY BRONCO, IF I ORDER IT TRHOUGH YOU, AT NO MORE THAN MSRP?
And if not, how much of a markup will you charge above MSRP? I am certainly going to want this in writing, before I make my order.

Like I said, based on responses to this message, I hope to choose handful of dealers to visit next weekend, at one of which to finalize my order.

Anyone have any useful thoughts or advice for me? I have never before bought a brand-new vehicle, and this is probably the only one that I ever will.[/I][/INDENT]
I’ll do it for 12.5k mark up :) sold!
You’re inviting them to ADM you

OP
OP
Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, based on what I hope is good advice received so far, I've cut my message way down in size. Is it still too much?

My Name is Bob Blaylock.

I'm looking to buy a 2022 four-door Bronco Badlands, with a hardtop, the 2.7-liter V6 engine, automatic transmission, and the Luxe package. The following URL leads to an approximation of what I want, based on the 2021 “Build & Price” section of Ford's web site…

https://shop.ford.com/configure/bro...M2DZ-9906202-B.VM2DZ-78407A99-A.99P.44T.64Y.]

I am sending this message to several dealerships in and around my home in Sacramento, California, hoping to be able to narrow my quest down to a handful of dealers to visit next weekend. Ford's “Build & Price” page is supposed to be updated, and reservations/ordering to be opened, this coming week, for the 2022 model year. I'm hoping to configure my Bronco very soon afterward, and on the immediately following weekend, to meet with a dealer, finalize the details, and get my order in before the weekend is over.

Please reply to me by email at this address:
[redacted]

It seems that some of you think I'm taking the wrong approach, entirely, and I'm trying to keep my mind open enough to let you convince me that I would do better going another way. But I'm not someone who deals well with other people, and have little patience for doing so, and there are a lot of dealerships in my area. I truly want, and need, to narrow down to a handful that I have the time and patience to visit in person; and I am very much hoping to get this settled before the coming weekend is over.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Still way too long.

Get your email to 3 sentences. So many people are looking for a Bronco now, so your request just isn't that special. Also, they won't care about your timetable, especially when the commission for them will be a year down the road.

Here is what I would send.

My name is Steve McQueen and I am shopping for a new 4 Dr Bronco. Who can I call to discuss ordering/purchasing this vehicle?

Thanks so much!

Steve

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still way too long.

Get your email to 3 sentences, here is what I would send.

My name is Steve McQueen and I am shopping for a new 4 Dr Bronco. Who can I call to discuss ordering/purchasing this vehicle?

Thanks so much!

Steve
This might be a good approach, but it will be very time consuming since every dealer will call. I'd just attach a B&P and ask for a price.

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So, based on what I hope is good advice received so far, I've cut my message way down in size. Is it still too much?

My Name is Bob Blaylock.
I'm looking to buy a 2022 four-door Bronco Badlands, with a hardtop, the 2.7-liter V6 engine, automatic transmission, and the Luxe package. The following URL leads to an approximation of what I want, based on the 2021 “Build & Price” section of Ford's web site…
I am sending this message to several dealerships in and around my home in Sacramento, California, hoping to be able to narrow my quest down to a handful of dealers to visit next weekend. Ford's “Build & Price” page is supposed to be updated, and reservations/ordering to be opened, this coming week, for the 2022 model year. I'm hoping to configure my Bronco very soon afterward, and on the immediately following weekend, to meet with a dealer, finalize the details, and get my order in before the weekend is over.

It seems that some of you think I'm taking the wrong approach, entirely, and I'm trying to keep my mind open enough to let you convince me that I would do better going another way. But I'm not someone who deals well with other people, and have little patience for doing so, and there are a lot of dealerships in my area. I truly want, and need, to narrow down to a handful that I have the time and patience to visit in person; and I am very much hoping to get this settled before the coming weekend is over.

This is what I would send personally:

My Name is Uber Gadgetfreak.

I'm looking to buy a 2022 four-door Bronco Badlands, with a hardtop, the 2.7-liter V6 engine, automatic transmission, and the Lux package. The attached PDF is from the Build & Price tool with my full desired configuration. I may also need accessibility options to enter/exit the vehicle as well. I would like to speak to someone from your dealership to discuss options and get a price quote.

(On the B&P tool, there is a print button, most devices can print to PDF. Print it, then attach that.).

Please reply by email at this address: [redacted]
Sponsored