Sponsored

Reaching Out To Dealerships — Any advice, or feedback on the approach I now plan to take?

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This might be a good approach, but it will be very time consuming since every dealer will call. I'd just attach a B&P and ask for a price.
Maybe, but that is why I didn't include my number. A quick call can weed dealers out and help narrow down the field. Then I would start talking price with those dealers.

This is my style though...I would never send an email that long.
Sponsored

Burnz442

Black Diamond
First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A,1969 442 W-30, 1986 CJ-7 2000 Firehwk
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Less is more! too much info up front just my .02

OP
OP
Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This might be a good approach, but it will be very time consuming since every dealer will call. I'd just attach a B&P and ask for a price.
I should mention that I simply cannot take the time to take as many phone calls as I think likely, if I encourage dealers to contact me that way. And I am very bad at dealing with people over the phone, especially in matters of any complexity at all.

Email is really the only feasible way for me to receive this kind of communication.

And ultimately, when it gets close to closing the deal, I am simply going to need to meet in person. Really, anything beyond the narrowing down is going to have to happen in person.

I guess what I am trying to do is to get, out of all the dealers that may be within a reasonable range of me, down to about two or three that I can meet in person, and hopefully close the deal that day. The primary criterion, of course, is dealers that won't charge me any markup above MSRP.

Once I get to that stage, I'll want to go over possible options and accessories with the dealer, beyond what can be covered in the B&P tool. The issue of installing tube steps in place of the rock rails is one; but there are various other accessories that I know that I will want; that, with the way my mind works, will only be feasible for me to cover when I am talking in person with the dealer.

Massbronco

Badlands
First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Way too long. Pick up the phone, talk to some dealers and go with whoever you have the best conversation with. Also, the part about sending the message to multiple dealers will guarantee you dont get a response.

OP
OP
Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, in what might be folly, I'm paging @Gloff to this thread. In my other thread, your dealership was mentioned and highly praised. A bit of a nasty drive from where I am, but not completely unmanageable; and if you live up to the reputation that you seem to have here, it may be very well worth it.

Of course, I've given up a lot in my OP that everyone else is telling me not to give up to a dealer this early in trying to make the deal, but if your reputation is what it seems, then perhaps that won't matter.

Sponsored

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Somewhat related to this other thread of mine.

I've composed the following text. I intend, very soon, to seek out the web sites of various dealerships within range of my home, and to send this message (possibly modified according to any advice I receive here in this thread) to them.

I'm hoping to configure my Bronco as soon as the Build&Price tool is updated for the 2022 model year, and I hope next weekend, to visit a few dealerships from which I've received the most satisfactory response, and to finalize my order with one of them before the weekend is over.

My Name is Bob Blaylock.
I'm looking to spend a good chunk of my recent inheritance on a new vehicle, and have fairly solidly settled on the new Ford Bronco. I'm looking to buy a 2022 four-door Bronco Badlands, with a hardtop, the 2.7-liter V6 engine, automatic transmission, and the Luxe package. The following URL leads to an approximation of what I want, based on the 2021 “Build & Price” section of Ford's web site…
Before I finalize the order, I'm going to want to meet in person with a dealer, to see if I can get some minor variations over what seems to be offered. For example, with my wife having short legs, and I recovering from a leg injury, we will need steps to make it easier to get in and out of the vehicle. The tube steps that Ford offers are apparently incompatible with the rock rails that are standard on the Badlands trim. I'm wondering if I can have the rock rails omitted from my Badlands-trim Bronco, and the tube steps installed in their place. There do seem to be aftermarket solutions available for this, and for other variations I might want, but my time is limited, and I'd rather get it as much as possible the way I want it right from the dealership, and spend less time pursuing aftermarket modifications later.
The money to pay for this is sitting in my bank account, right now, and I intend to pay for it, in full, at the time I receive it.
Now, I have heard the horror stories, of several people who have waited for months, some over a year, for their Broncos, only to find out, when they finally show up to take delivery of it, that their dealer has decided, without previously telling them, to tack on a markup of thousands, or even tens of thousands of dollars; and I am determined to make sure that this does not happen to me. I've got plenty of money to buy what I want, if I get a fair price (which I define as not much more, if any more at all, than MSRP), but not enough that I can afford to let myself get screwed over as has happened to some. I do understand and accept that from the time I finalize my order, I will probably have to wait quite a while to actually receive my Bronco.
———
I am sending this message to several dealerships in and around my home in Sacramento, California, hoping to be able to narrow my quest down to a handful of dealers to visit, probably next weekend. Ford's “Build & Price” page is supposed to be updated, and reservations/ordering to be opened, this coming week, for the 2022 model year. I'm hoping to configure my Bronco very soon afterward, and on the immediately following weekend, to meet with a dealer, finalize the details, and get my order in.
My one biggest question for you is this: WILL YOU PROMISE TO SELL ME MY BRONCO, IF I ORDER IT TRHOUGH YOU, AT NO MORE THAN MSRP?
And if not, how much of a markup will you charge above MSRP? I am certainly going to want this in writing, before I make my order.
Please reply to me by email at this address: [redacted]

Like I said, based on responses to this message, I hope to choose handful of dealers to visit next weekend, at one of which to finalize my order.

Anyone have any useful thoughts or advice for me? I have never before bought a brand-new vehicle, and this is probably the only one that I ever will.[/I][/INDENT]
Do you have a 2020 reservation date or is this a new order?

OP
OP
Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you have a 2020 reservation date or is this a new order?
This will be a new order. I wasn't going to even think of starting the process until the money came in to pay for it. It came in recently, after orders closed for 2021, and before they opened for 2022.

PD63

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRX - SOLD, 2023 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone else find this crazy that it has come to this? Begging dealerships to sell for at MSRP or slightly above. The bronco is amazing but not something worth begging for

OP
OP
Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what I would send personally:

My Name is Uber Gadgetfreak.

I'm looking to buy a 2022 four-door Bronco Badlands, with a hardtop, the 2.7-liter V6 engine, automatic transmission, and the Lux package. The attached PDF is from the Build & Price tool with my full desired configuration. I may also need accessibility options to enter/exit the vehicle as well. I would like to speak to someone from your dealership to discuss options and get a price quote.

(On the B&P tool, there is a print button, most devices can print to PDF. Print it, then attach that.).

Please reply by email at this address: [redacted]
This feels like the best advice, so far, close to what @UberGadgetFreak also had to offer.

But having paged @Gloff, I'll wait to see what he has to say. Depending on that, I may just endure the nasty 2-hour drive to him, and forego any further attempts to contact other dealers, or I may craft a new version of my text, based on your template, and use that as previously planned.

Dealing with someone who is part of this community seems like a good idea, even if it means having to otherwise drive farther and through worse traffic than I otherwise would. Last time I blundered into the Bay area, it went very badly for my wife and me, but that was about seventeen years ago, without some technology that we both now have which would have greatly helped back then. But that's another story.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, in what might be folly, I'm paging @Gloff to this thread. In my other thread, your dealership was mentioned and highly praised. A bit of a nasty drive from where I am, but not completely unmanageable; and if you live up to the reputation that you seem to have here, it may be very well worth it.

Of course, I've given up a lot in my OP that everyone else is telling me not to give up to a dealer this early in trying to make the deal, but if your reputation is what it seems, then perhaps that won't matter.
We would take your order at MSRP. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

As for the steps, it's easy to remove the rock rails and add the steps, we just have to order them.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just call a couple dealers.. Never tell them you're paying cash.

Hobgoblin

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Touareg, ‘10 Jetta, ‘07 Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bob, I wish you the best in your quest. But there are so many of us out there with reservations from the first week of launch and are not expecting them anywhere in the near future. We will all be reordering and waiting in line for the time stamp, constraint parts and allocation mess to work it’s way through in order for us to get our Broncos. At this point I may not even be able to get mine in 2022.

In the past when developing programs for work the vendors had a saying, “good, cheap, and fast; pick two.” Meaning that there was always a trade-off. I really want you to be able to get what you want at the price you want to pay for it. Just know that to get it more quickly you may have to step up and pay more for it.

One thought would be is to check with these dealers on what mannequin units that they have and see if any match your desired build and see if they will cut you an acceptable deal on that one when it hits the six month time requirement. Good luck.

OP
OP
Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone else find this crazy that it has come to this? Begging dealerships to sell for at MSRP or slightly above. The bronco is amazing but not something worth begging for
Possibly. I remember accompanying my parents, in 1988, as they were shopping for their second-ever new car; and observing different paths that the negotiations took.

At one dealership, the negations started at MSRP, and then the dealer just kept adding assorted fees and markups over that as the conversion went on, until my father walked out.

At another dealership, we were negotiating for a leftover last-year's model, a 1987 Topaz. The salesman started out by saying something like “If I could sell you this car for $5,000*, would you buy it?”, to which my father easily agreed, that yes, at that price, he would buy it. The salesman kept saying he'd have to go back to talk to the manager, then repeating the question with a somewhat higher price. My father walked out when the price got up to what the MSRP was of the current-year model.

Finally, we wound up at the same dealership at which my parents had bought their first new car, nineteen years earlier. My father had a price in mind, that he was hoping to negotiate down to on the 1988 Tempo being offered there. The dealer started out the negotiation by offering it at very close to that price. My father accepted, and the deal was closed. The salesman who sold them their first new car, a 1969 Falcon, remembered them, and the then-six-year-old kid they had in tow; that six-year-old now being a twenty-something-year-old man who was about to get his own very first car, that now very-well-worn Falcon as a hand-me-down.

* Not as unbelievably-low a price in 1988 as it seems by today's standards, but yes, it would have been a bargain, for a leftover last-year's model.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We would take your order at MSRP. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

As for the steps, it's easy to remove the rock rails and add the steps, we just have to order them.
I'll need to discuss it with my wife, but I think you've got our business.

Assuming things go as I hope, we should be there in person some time next weekend.
Sponsored