Sponsored

why are we blaming Ford and not the dealers?

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
True, but there's still some jujitsu here. "We can't solely produce customer orders because of lack of hardtops" in June vs. "We can't solely produce customer orders because of a new formula we invented to keep our big dealers happy" in 2022.
They've been laying the foundation for their heel turn for quite a while now
They promised reservation orders first as an Ingenius way to lure us in, then pulled the rug out from under us

And what's worse is they will get away with it. I guarantee you Ford will see no hurt from these decisions
Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right. And 99% (if not more) will be.

Did those dealers check with Ford to make sure they could go forward with their business model? Sticking your head in the sand and hoping something works out isn't an excuse.
Yes, Granger did check with Ford and was given the green light. Stop with your ridiculous assertions. 🤡

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One last thing to point out Ford had said Bronco was going to be its own brand if this was true all other sales shouldn't matter a dealer should be able to make its mark as a true Bronco brand just as a few dealers have done. (Kinda like the Ram)

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ok, 1st, sorry for the long post.

2nd, I've seen this forum blowing up over the weekend over this whole allocation ordeal, but I'd like to apply some logic to it, and not just point fingers. I know this is probably going to stir up some emotions, but I'm going to play a little devil's advocate.

Here we go!

I don't understand why people are blaming this all on Ford and not the dealers.

Hear me out.

Dealers are in the business of making money. Right? These 'deals' aren't out of the goodness of their hearts. They're making money. I don't know for fact, but at least in my simple mind, if I sell 10 broncos at $1000 profit, or if I sell 30 broncos at $500 profit, I'm making more money by sheer volume. (And these dealers increased by much more than triple from what I've read) Nevermind whatever else they're making on whatever deals they have with whatever banks on doing financing through them. Also selling trade-ins, extended warranties, insurance, etc...

Dealers were aware of allocations. This isn't new to them. They tried gaming the system and Ford didn't play.

The dealerships used people and passed it off as 'deals'. And some people probably saved money, it was a two way street for a bit. But now dealerships are trying to blame Ford. Bc now they're probably not going to make the margins they were forecasting. And they're trying to use this forum to get people on their side.

plus how about the innocent local, original reservation holder, at these dealers? They could've been 15 or 20 in line with like a Sept 2020 reservation, but bc of everyone flocking they got pushed into what could now be 2023. But no one cares about them, right? Just as long as you were getting a good deal. That's all that mattered.

if everyone ordered from their local dealer and other's didn't boost their numbers, allocations wouldn't even be a problem. In fact, Ford has over 3000 dealerships, I'm willing to bet at the other 3000 dealerships, allocation isn't a problem and they'll fill every order they have next year. (quick math, 150,000 orders into 3000 dealerships in only 50 per)(yes I know not all things are created equal, but it gives you an idea, or should how the distribution organically falls into place)

If you're super upset about possibly getting pushed into 2023, then just change your order to a different dealer. I'm sure once most folks (not all, before anyone starts attacking) actually did some math on how much they're saving compared to how much they're spending to drive half way across the country, they'll realize the savings wasn't there to begin with.

Or maybe all this is just the cynic in me.

But if I were one of those people, I'd be pissed at the dealer who promised me something they can't deliver on. The dealerships own the relationship with Ford. Not us. Maybe they should've ran their business model by Ford first to see if i they'd be able to meet demand? Before they went making promises they can't keep.

we were all quick to blame Ford for their supplier Webasto. Shouldn't we then blame the dealers for their supplier Ford?

I've seen the statement 'ford is catering to the big dealers'. Why wouldn't they? Those are the dealers that sell the most Fords year over year. And last time I checked Ford is in the business of selling cars... After all this reservation craziness dies down, these small dealers will go back to selling like 50 Broncos a year, if that. Why should Ford change their business model to cater to a small few that exploited a loophole? Again, allocations aren't new, and they exist for a reason.

Now, with that said, Ford isn't totally innocent here. They tried the Tesla sales model, but didn't account for the dealer loophole and didn't expect some dealerships to do what they're doing. So while a lot on here think it's a big deal, it's maybe, what? 1% (if that) of all orders that will fall into 2023. You're pissed, but Ford isn't losing any sleep over it.

And hey, good for these dealers. They saw a loophole and tried to exploit it to make money. But it caught up to them... let's not make them into heroes, and hold them accountable.

Or hey, maybe I'm wrong and these dealerships did run their business model by Ford and Ford blessed it, and now Ford is going back on their word. However, I doubt that'll be the case. If it is, then I'll gladly eat crow. but none of us will ever really know if that's the truth or not.
Day 2 reservation here with no schedule email. I ordered from my local dealer that did zero Bronco advertising and zero deals made public (they did offer some to reservation holders after you reserved but never advertised this). So I mean I get your theory, but the biggest issues are that commodity constraints allowed vehicles to get built that “cut in line” reducing a dealership’s allocation for early reservations. I get Ford can’t stop production lines but we shouldn’t be letting that play into any kind of allocation formula. So basically dealer allocation should be completely independent of reservations.

Sponsored

UPnort

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why do these Ford fan boys keeping falling back on allocation? This literally WAS a reservation system completely separate from allocation. Why do you not hold Ford accountable for going back on their word and changing the game is a better question.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't understand why people are blaming this all on Ford and not the dealers.

I don't get that either. Allocations have always been a thing with every single car every year for a long time. That was not news to the under invoice dealers, it's part of their business.

Yet, they took in orders left and right, ending up with over 1000 orders they promised to deliver this and next year. But they must have known that there is no way they can get those huge allocations if they never got that before. Ford has to spread what they can make in some more or less fair (and decided by computers) way. And there are way over 100k reservations nation wide and a limited monthly (and yearly!) supply.

IMO these dealers were either naive or reckless in taking in that many orders, without at least clearing with corporate up front if they'll even be able to get that many units to sell. They oversold and overpromised without backup from the mothership. It's fantastic to offer such deals, but don't make that an unlimited offer if supply is limited.

I was weary of that situation from the beginning and decided against moving my reservation to save a bit of money. Also lucked out with a fantastic dealer and great deal.

Ford can't just toss 1000 units at those dealers if they don't have 1000 extra units to toss. Monthly supply is limited, all of the 3000+ dealers in the country have reservations to fill with early time stamps and the monthly supply will be spread accordingly. And allocations will be calculated new each month, no dealer anywhere has any way knowing how many they will get allocated for all of next year. And they should not take endless reservations if they can't deliver.

Of course Ford rewards the big dealers, who wouldn't? That's just regular business. If they sold thousands each year for years they'll get an according allocation. Anything else would be unfair to them and those that have a reservation with them.

I really hope that you all get your Broncos as soon as possible, it IS worth the wait. But these dealers should have stopped taking reservations long ago, as they must have known they won't be able to fill them. At least if they've been in this business (where allocations are nothing new) for a while. And it doesn't matter how nice or transparent or what they are. They should have known that this won't work out, because it can't.

Just my 2ct, put as many throw up emjoys down below as you like, LOL. I just don't see how they could have even dreamt to get such massive allocations of one of the hottest vehicles on the market if they've never gotten huge allocations or did massive sales before.

Mustard

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 300C, Dodge Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
but it's only a few dealerships that exploited the loophole.
Ford had plenty of opportunities to close the so called loophole. They were aware of it, but they never did. I think it's still open. But now Ford is punishing dealers/reservation holders for using the system Ford designed and left in place. That's why I blame Ford.

If Ford had wanted the reservations distributed across their dealer network according to some pre-determined outcome, then they should have limited the number of reservations each dealer could take (doesn't Ford control the reservation system?). But I'm sure they did not want to have someone try to make a reservation only to be told "Sorry, your selected dealer's reservations are full". They wanted their reservation numbers to keep going up and up.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't get that either. Allocations have always been a thing with every single car every year for a long time. That was not news to the under invoice dealers, it's part of their business.

Yet, they took in orders left and right, ending up with over 1000 orders they promised to deliver this and next year. But they must have known that there is no way they can get those huge allocations if they never got that before. Ford has to spread what they can make in some more or less fair (and decided by computers) way. And there are way over 100k reservations nation wide and a limited monthly (and yearly!) supply.

IMO these dealers were either naive or reckless in taking in that many orders, without at least clearing with corporate up front if they'll even be able to get that many units to sell. They oversold and overpromised without backup from the mothership. It's fantastic to offer such deals, but don't make that an unlimited offer if supply is limited.

I was weary of that situation from the beginning and decided against moving my reservation to save a bit of money. Also lucked out with a fantastic dealer and great deal.

Ford can't just toss 1000 units at those dealers if they don't have 1000 extra units to toss. Monthly supply is limited, all of the 3000+ dealers in the country have reservations to fill with early time stamps and the monthly supply will be spread accordingly. And allocations will be calculated new each month, no dealer anywhere has any way knowing how many they will get allocated for all of next year. And they should not take endless reservations if they can't deliver.

Of course Ford rewards the big dealers, who wouldn't? That's just regular business. If they sold thousands each year for years they'll get an according allocation. Anything else would be unfair to them and those that have a reservation with them.

I really hope that you all get your Broncos as soon as possible, it IS worth the wait. But these dealers should have stopped taking reservations long ago, as they must have known they won't be able to fill them. At least if they've been in this business (where allocations are nothing new) for a while. And it doesn't matter how nice or transparent or what they are. They should have known that this won't work out, because it can't.

Just my 2ct, put as many throw up emjoys down below as you like, LOL. I just don't see how they could have even dreamt to get such massive allocations of one of the hottest vehicles on the market if they've never gotten huge allocations or did massive sales before.
Yep agreed! While I put this situation 99.99998% on Ford and whatever remains on the dealers, I too was wary of trying to play this game with these dealers. I'm essentially then competing with the hundreds of you all to get my Bronco. I'm not a gambler in any shape of the word. I like to have as much control of a situation as I can.

While I did go with a dealer offering a great deal, I knew they wouldn't get a ridiculous amount of reservations. And then I paid close attention to what builds would make it in MY21 by basically living and breathing on these forums. With a blend date this Thursday I am one of the lucky (but also proactive) ones. But if I went with Granger I'd be screwed.

Still like what they were doing though

Sponsored

goodnterribles

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
yes, and this is where I blame Ford. They didn't foresee dealers doing what they did. Ford didn't account for a dealer in middle america that normally sells like 10 Ford's a year to have 1500 orders.

but it's only a few dealerships that exploited the loophole.

For the 3000+ other dealerships, they'll fill all their orders. It's just the ones that exploited the loophole that are getting hurt by this. and that's such a tiny percentage when you account for all orders.

I don't know why Ford is cutting them off... but there has to be a reason for it. Mostly likely it's because Ford isn't about to change their ways of doing things bc of a few.
It's not a loophole if Ford is aware of it. If Ford didn't want this to happen, they could have shut this down quickly or put a cap on the number of orders coming from a dealer. They never did that. This mess is their creation.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I actually know someone who recently passed away who reserved one on 7/14, so not true.

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Think of it without the reservation system Ford set up. If Ford had chose to roll out the Bronco the traditional method then allocations would have been based on high volume dealers getting most of MY2021.

Ford chose this new business model, sold it as such and then pulled it when it broke. In the end they pissed off a lot of loyalists (Previous Bronco owners and 4X4 enthusiasts) and people such as myself who is/was willing to become a Ford customer.

Ford is 100% accountable.

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ford and it's dealers (most) got greedy and still are. It's souring the bronco market and driving people to Jeep .
"Still waiting for that other 4x4? Stop by XXX Chrysler-Jeep and get a Jeep with a whole lot more! No markups! Show us your reservation for the other 4x4 and get an additional $500 off any in-stock Wrangler today! Stop waiting, Start driving!"

I wonder who they mean by that. Hmm...
Sponsored