First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are a bunch of misprints on the site. It also says you can add lockers as an option but they come standard on the trim.

You could need an extra half inch for 35’s to clear on the badlands.

but the badlands has the most suspension travel of any trim.I think it was like 1.2” more travel than a Sasquatch. That has to mean that it’s the same suspension lift. How could there be that extra travel?
The extra travel on the badlands comes from the sway bar disconnect
Sponsored

Realtor

Wildtrak
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

8.4 is fine for me. All Subaru standard lifted vehicles are 8.7 inches. I won't worry about .3 inches. I'm coming to Ford after buying 4 Subarus in 3 years. First off road worthy Ford for me, after off road worthy Audi, BMW, GMC and Chevy in my garage.

jbe89

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They don't have rocks in PA?
That’s what tires are for, you drive over rocks, you don’t straddle them. As I said you need some clearance, and I’d argue that in most cases anything north of 9” is plenty. On the Bronco as all body on frame vehicles this will be the pumpkin as the low point. I’m curious to see what the clearance will be between the wheels and at the front and rear bumper as this will give accurate approach, departure, and break over. For me I don’t ever plan to rock crawl, so the stock Black Diamond will handle anything I’m likely to encounter.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not all ground clearance is created equal
Teo...haven't seen much of you since the days you were fending off IFS nay-sayers.

Tire size question: Base >> Outer Banks have 32" or smaller tires...Badlands & Squatch have altered suspensions & larger tires. Are 32s the largest you can run on the lower trims?

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Let Ford beat it's Cafe requirements and we can still lift as much as we want on our own. I'm not sure if Ford doing factory lift packages affects their Cafe score though?

Sponsored

Major_Bullsteak

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy ZR2 Bison, JK Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Teo...haven't seen much of you since the days you were fending off IFS nay-sayers.

Tire size question: Base >> Outer Banks have 32" or smaller tires...Badlands & Squatch have altered suspensions & larger tires. Are 32s the largest you can run on the lower trims?
I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Orangeinthebarn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 z71, 1992 bronco, 1977 F-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There are a bunch of misprints on the site. It also says you can add lockers as an option but they come standard on the trim.

You could need an extra half inch for 35’s to clear on the badlands.

but the badlands has the most suspension travel of any trim.I think it was like 1.2” more travel than a Sasquatch. That has to mean that it’s the same suspension lift. How could there be that extra travel?
Badlands has the most travel cause the swaybar disconnect. FE should be same

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ground clearance is relatively meaningless. Sure you need a little, but what really matters for off-roading is approach, departure, and break over angle.
Good point. It's all about geometry. Lifting is a good thing but if you don't have good approach/departure/breakover to begin with you'll spend a lot of money trying to compensate.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just need enough clearance that my front end doesn’t scrape on the curb at the mall so I can it let overhang on the sidewalk at least 2ft like the senior citizens.....

This way I can justify 37’s on my mall crawler and not feel bad. I might need one of those fire escape ladders to release upon opening the door so I can crawl in as well.

Things will be ok. I say some video of a new Bronco crawling up Some hill that looked like Stonehenge. Crack open a Coors original banquet beer and relax.

Tag

Sponsored

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The extra travel on the badlands comes from the sway bar disconnect
I just had this convo with someone else in another thread. A sway bar disconnect can not give you more travel. It allows the wheels to articulate more by not being connected.

The travel comes from the suspension being lifted and longer travel than base.

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just had this convo with someone else in another thread. A sway bar disconnect can not give you more travel. It allows the wheels to articulate more by not being connected.

The travel comes from the suspension being lifted and longer travel than base.
More articulation = more travel.

But don’t believe me. Read this article.
“disconnecting the sway bar can give you a lot more wheel travel then when it’s engaged as it would be for road driving”

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Jeep Renegade Ground Clearance: 6.7-8.7

So, yes at its highest level, the Renegade has more clearance than a Bronco at its lowest level. Not sure how that’s a bad thing.

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
More articulation = more travel.

But don’t believe me. Read this article.
“disconnecting the sway bar can give you a lot more wheel travel then when it’s engaged as it would be for road driving”
From your article

“Sway bars are designed to ensure your vehicle’s wheels don’t move too far up or down independently of the opposite wheel.”

It’s the independently of the opposite wheel that changes. If you have both wheels going up and down and the same time like going through whoops there is no extra travel with the sway bar connected or disconnected.

Edit: Also articulation is not more travel. Articulation is the ability for the wheels to flex independent from each other. Travel is governed by how long the shocks are.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FWIW, there is no industry standard for reporting ground clearance. You don't really know unless you measure for yourself. Ram claims the Power Wagon has 14" of ground clearance, but the pumpkins are a little over 8" off the ground.

Comparing 4 wheel independent suspension to a vehicle with one or more solid axles is always tricky as well, since there is no pumpkin. Going back to the Power Wagon, nobody could honestly argue that the Renegade's 8.7" is "better" than what's going on under the Ram.
Sponsored