Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know that most states have laws against price gouging during Emergency situations for things like gas, food, Generators, Ect. I wonder why this wouldn’t apply to Vehicles?
Hoping someone out there has a better grasp on the legality’s of this situation, I can’t see why it wouldn’t apply to a vehicle and keep the Dealerships from doing this to People. This could beat them at their own game if state attorney generals got involved and create a lot of bad press for them.
Sponsored

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If you had an item for sale wouldn’t you want to get the maximum selling price that the market would bear? you’d be a fool not to. The dealers are no different. They are running a business to make money. (I’m in now way condoning dealers who try to force adm on reservation holders after the fact).

A Bronco is simply not a necessity purchase for anyone.

OP
OP
Sooner

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you had an item for sale wouldn’t you want to get the maximum selling price that the market would bear? you’d be a fool not to. The dealers are no different. They are running a business to make money. (I’m in now way condoning dealers who try to force adm on reservation holders after the fact).

A Bronco is simply not a necessity purchase for anyone.
A Generator is not a necessity either but does apply, transportation is just as necessary as electricity shouldn’t matter what vehicle model it is (a 4x4 “truck” would apply more than anything else). And these are special circumstances. If the dealers can use the pandemic against us why can’t we use laws against them?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's called capitalism. In this case it doesn't seem good, but it would be much worse if the government stepped in to fix it.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree with both sides of this conversation, but I also believe there needs to be some kind of parameters or caps on everything. Still have capitalism but still have some rules and accountability.
This is exactly why our world is in such turmoil right now.
We all agree there’s a big huge problem but there’s really no answer.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with both sides of this conversation, but I also believe there needs to be some kind of parameters or caps on everything. Still have capitalism but still have some rules and accountability.
This is exactly why our world is in such turmoil right now.
We all agree there’s a big huge problem but there’s really no answer.
There are natural “ caps” to this. It is known as “ don’t buy “. It is just a vehicle. Nothing more. In a few years the lots will have dozens of them and they will be sold way under sticker. I don’t know about you or your vehicle situation, but I would feel like a “ smacked ass” if I paid a nickel over sticker and a few years later folks were driving even better editions of the Bronco with purchase price below sticker.

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If there were no MSRP or Retail Price F.O.B. (which some of us first learned about as teenagers when the Mustang was released during the TV show, Hazel) then I would feel different, but there IS a MSRP - yes the S means suggested, but walk into your local grocery store and the bag of Doritos has a pre-printed price of $4.29 on it. Do you expect to pay OVER $4.29 for it and thank your lucky stars that the good folks at Frito-Lay make such an essential product? In most situations you would expect to pay less than MSRP for that bag of chips, whether it be a 2 for or a BOGO, but never in your lifetime should you except to pay $6 if the price is clearly marked. And cars have the price clearly marked.

Look around, though, as we are no longer in a pandemic - emergency but to compensate the supply chain is such that I cannot even get an essential equivalent I do need (a replacement refrigerator for one that died) until Pearl Harbor Day. I did get it on sale, however even with the promo special 12 month same as cash they will collect 2 payments before I can fill it with beer purchased at no more than MSRP. But since my college team imploded over the weekend there are no more games worth watching........

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A Generator is not a necessity either but does apply, transportation is just as necessary as electricity shouldn’t matter what vehicle model it is (a 4x4 “truck” would apply more than anything else). And these are special circumstances. If the dealers can use the pandemic against us why can’t we use laws against them?
A generator absolutely could be a necessity, as an example insulin has to stay cold.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know that most states have laws against price gouging during Emergency situations for things like gas, food, Generators, Ect. I wonder why this wouldn’t apply to Vehicles?
Hoping someone out there has a better grasp on the legality’s of this situation, I can’t see why it wouldn’t apply to a vehicle and keep the Dealerships from doing this to People. This could beat them at their own game if state attorney generals got involved and create a lot of bad press for them.
bc people don't NEED a bronco.

if you NEED a car, there are plenty of much less expensive options out there. This is a luxury item, plain and simple.

Sponsored

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While not classified as a luxury vehicle, the Bronco (as well as the vast majority of new cars) are luxuries that are in no way necessary in response to an "emergency" like a generator would have been in Texas last winter. Transportation could be defined as an emergency, and there are lots of transportation options out there now that don't have ADM...

I'm no fan of what some dealers are doing right now - especially to reservation holders - but there isn't going to be (nor should we want for all the unintended consequences of such a thing) a law that will be applicable to this in terms of price gouging.

There could be contract law that is being violated in many situations, and maybe even a flimsy false advertising claim, but the Bronco isn't ever going to be seen as a necessity in response to an emergency covered by price gouging laws.

OP
OP
Sooner

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A generator absolutely could be a necessity, as an example insulin has to stay cold.
transportation is just as important!

OP
OP
Sooner

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

bc people don't NEED a bronco.

if you NEED a car, there are plenty of much less expensive options out there. This is a luxury item, plain and simple.
Do you need electricity? People lived for thousands of years without it.

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Honestly it doesn't bother me. I personally won't pay above MSRP for a vehicle, but I don't vault the dealers for doing it. They're in business too make money, and if someone is willing to pay it then more power to them.

I've flipped sports tickets before and felt no guilt lol. This is no different
Sponsored