Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Am I missing the capable front bumper or did it not get added to 22MY?
Sponsored

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's there. It's the standard bumper on BD and BL, but Ford has stopped calling it the capable bumper (at least in the order guide and B&P). You can't add it as an option to other trims.

whitmack1

Outer Banks
First Name
Whit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Sahara JKU / '18 4Runner TRD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's there. It's the standard bumper on BD and BL, but Ford has stopped calling it the capable bumper (at least in the order guide and B&P). You can't add it as an option to other trims.
which sucks. I thought it would have been available as an option for other trims.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
which sucks. I thought it would have been available as an option for other trims.
Seems to just be a cheaper steel bumper to save a few bucks. I wonder if they were taking losses on the HD Steel bumper by including it by default on BL and BD.

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems to just be a cheaper steel bumper to save a few bucks. I wonder if they were taking losses on the HD Steel bumper by including it by default on BL and BD.
I look at the capable as the beefy older brother of the standard plastic bumper. Considering that Ford showed it off a long time ago, I think it was always intended to be the standard bumper on rugged trims, but wasn't ready in time for MY21.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I look at the capable as the beefy older brother of the standard plastic bumper. Considering that Ford showed it off a long time ago, I think it was always intended to be the standard bumper on rugged trims, but wasn't ready in time for MY21.
Perhaps. I get easily offended by marketing and the name alone makes my skin crawl. 'Capable' of what, exactly?

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Perhaps. I get easily offended by marketing and the name alone makes my skin crawl. 'Capable' of what, exactly?
Capable of taking a bump without cracking and falling apart? Capable of seeing through fog? I dunno, it makes more sense than "Eruption Green".

MtnRanger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Capable of taking a bump without cracking and falling apart? Capable of seeing through fog? I dunno, it makes more sense than "Eruption Green".
Eruption green is the color of the stuff that comes out when your stomach erupts
Why am I getting this color again?

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eruption green is the color of the stuff that comes out when your stomach erupts
If you see Oil Slick Blue Purple, consult your doctor.

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I tried adding it to my '22 reorder (the only "change") and even with the supposed "price protection") the price was $771 higher than my '21 order. While I would prefer the Modular over the Capable, in part because the ends seem less obtrusive, it's not worth that much to me.

Sponsored

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tried adding it to my '22 reorder (the only "change") and even with the supposed "price protection") the price was $771 higher than my '21 order. While I would prefer the Modular over the Capable, in part because the ends seem less obtrusive, it's not worth that much to me.
I agree, I left it off my order this time, plan going aftermarket bumper/winch combo anyway.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Price Protection is a certificate you get from Ford to apply to the cost of a '22. The amount is designed to maintain your MSRP cost for equivalent model. On the two door BD it is $975 which is the $400 price increase plus the $575 Modular Bumper cost. You get the same amount no matter which '22 Bronco you actually order. So, you could effectively reduce your original order by $575 by ordering a BD with the standard 'capable' bumper.

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Price Protection is a certificate you get from Ford to apply to the cost of a '22. The amount is designed to maintain your MSRP cost for equivalent model. On the two door BD it is $975 which is the $400 price increase plus the $575 Modular Bumper cost. You get the same amount no matter which '22 Bronco you actually order. So, you could effectively reduce your original order by $575 by ordering a BD with the standard 'capable' bumper.
I heard those numbers on this forum before, but missed the part about it being in the form of a certificate from Ford. Any idea on when the certificate gets issued/applied?

It doesn't really matter to me since apparently there is zero chance of getting a '22 anyway and I'll be bailing way before '25 or whenever Ford gets around to telling me they don't just not want my business like they have done so far, but that they REALLY don't want my business and cancel my 5 year old reservation and any price protection still in place at that point.
Sponsored