Tag1996

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer, F150, Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
a dealership that sells 2200+ new fords per year is always going to get a bigger allocation than the dealer that sells 300 new Fords per year. Precisely why I went with a larger dealership and will pay MSRP.

whether it's right or wrong it's the way business is conducted.
I believe you are right. We have the exact same build. my reservation date was 7/15/2020. the dealership I ordered with on 1/20/21 is small and I mean small. they only have 3 reservations. I finally got a build date for 12/6/21 after being told I would not see a MY21 unless I changed to a 4 door. we decided to wait and got our vin and build date a couple of weeks ago.
Sponsored

ausherpharmd

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I hope this blows up in Ford's (and Levine's) face. With the high price of the Bronco plus ADM, the final price is going to get steep and I think most people willing to put down that kind of cash are looking for a lot more luxury in their vehicle than what the Bronco has to offer.

And yes, Mike Levine is the biggest tool out there. I cannot believe he's in charge of a company this size's communication. If the media ever works up the balls to tell the whole story, this will go down as one of the ugliest corporate f-ups by a car company - maybe any company - in history.

I'm still on Granger's list but I may change my will specifying that my kids and kids' kids are not allowed to buy a Ford or they get disinherited.
It's not going to blow up in their face. We're just a few hundred or thousand. They're going to deliver thousands of Broncos to other people and they'll be driving around getting new people interested in bug markets where the money flies. They don't care that we're driving them. 1200 other people will be driving them happily. We'll stay here banging our heads against the walls and comforting each other. I just think it's terrible that an innovative dealer who found some workarounds to gain sales that benefit their customers is so blatantly sh*t on. Weird. I thought innovation and transparency was to be rewarded.

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I reserved with Granger for the deal. 100%. I looked around because no dealers near me would commit to pricing. Uncertainty works like that.

Iā€™ll see what works with the local dealer now. If that doesnā€™t work I will simply leave my Granger reservation open and see just happens. Maybe I decide no vehicle is worth this and just skip out whenever the time comes.

itā€™s sad because I was excited about this vehicle at one time

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dear Ford,
Due to your inability to build Broncos you sent me a price lock guarantee at 2021 prices. If you delay my order until 2023 to send stock units to mega dealers in 2022 you are costing yourself profits and giving it to those dealers instead. My price is locked, your prices from suppliers and inflation will climb. Are your stock holders ok with that? šŸ¤”
Eddie, with the way things have developed I expect Ford to cancel any price protection deals after 2021. I don't know that will happen, but I don't have a lot of confidence it won't. Ford have turned me into quite the pesimiist. :)

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Ford Bronco First Edition. ā€˜21 Audi RS6 Avan
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

In case anyone's been waiting for an answer:
@mrlevine Fill your Bronco reservation orders ahead of allocations. Weā€™ve already waited 15 months. Stop punishing your customers. #reservationsoverallocations
His answer tells me they just don't care.

in case he deletes his tweet, here's what it says:

Mike Levine
Replying to @robtraut and @KogodBiz
Thatā€™s exactly the plan for more than 98% of customers that didnā€™t place orders with a small dealer that created a special deal to attract a large number of orders.

I'm not sure I get what the fuss is about.

I have no issue with a small rural dealer wanting to use the internet to compete with larger dealers. That's one of the great things about the internet - you can reach anyone anywhere if you have a compelling business proposition.

The problem is, they didn't actually have one. If the rural dealership had a whole bunch of Broncos in stock that it had complete control over, then advertising a discount would be fine. They can deliver on their promise to the consumer, and its good healthy competition.

But they didn't have the product to deliver. If I understand what they did correctly (I didn't deal with them or follow the saga that closely), they touted a discount on something they hadn't yet purchased from Ford and that, to boot, was scarce and very hard to get.

Meanwhile Ford is sitting with a limited number of Broncos and more interest than it can satisfy in a timely manner. They also have an interest in maintaining the price they can get for their products, which is totally legitimate. Given the limited supply vs. demand, why in the world would any rational manufacturer allocate more product to be sold at a price lower than what it thinks is the market clearing price?

Ford does take a risk because "promises" made by a Ford dealer might, in the mind of the consumer, get attributed to Ford itself. We're seeing that play out in this thread. But on the other hand, Ford takes a risk if it rescues the dealer by honoring commitments the dealer made to provide discounted pricing. In particular, if it rewards such behavior it encourages it to occur more widely. For every valuable hot vehicle Ford has to offer for which it can get full margins, it has slow-selling vehicles that it has to discount to move. The overall financial results of the company represent a balance of hot and not-hot vehicles, and the hot ones only come along once in a while.

Why is it wrong for Ford to try to maintain pricing discipline, as long as they aren't being fraudulent about it?

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Agreed, but in my area (Chicago, many dealers to choose from), I couldn't find one that would commit to any pricing (MSRP included). I contacted dealers in smaller towns within an hour, with similar response. After wasting upwards of 2 weeks searching, I said "F it" and reserved with Granger. I tried, as did many others who ended up at the "special deal" dealers.

I hope you don't have the ADM bullshit pulled on you when you show up to your chosen dealer. No one should go through that either, but I guess.... that would be on you. Right?
Precisely one of the reasons I went Granger. All my contacts at my local Chicago suburb dealer were gone, and I couldn't trust any of the other dealerships as far as I could throw them.

Funny enough my two local dealers both had their first broncos delivered and the original order holder backed out....One got 15k over window and the other got 10k over window.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's not going to blow up in their face. We're just a few hundred or thousand. They're going to deliver thousands of Broncos to other people and they'll be driving around getting new people interested in bug markets where the money flies. They don't care that we're driving them. 1200 other people will be driving them happily. We'll stay here banging our heads against the walls and comforting each other. I just think it's terrible that an innovative dealer who found some workarounds to gain sales that benefit their customers is so blatantly sh*t on. Weird. I thought innovation and transparency was to be rewarded.
That's the thing though, it isn't just 2% that will be affected. Ford may have made the change because of the Granger/Chapman/SAC orders but it will cascade to EVERY smaller volume dealership regardless of pricing.

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Plain and simple Ford underestimated the demand for the Bronco. Now they are scrambling to figure out how to keep customers and dealers happy and failing at both. Someone's head should roll but who's?

Sponsored

stratego

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's highly upsetting to see Ford deride a dealership for offering a good deal but say nothing about dealers screwing customers with last minute upcharges.

Ford strategy seems to be:
1) Big city dealers that serve a largely captive wealthy market are good, it's great that they can use this captive market to obtain outsized profits
2) Small town dealers that try to buck this model via advertising strong deals nationally are bad and should be crammed back down into their place rather

Subaru was famous for coming down on a dealer that tried the volume strategy in Colorado. Dealers complained that this dealer was stealing sales out of their catchment areas and ultimately Subaru started penalizing them financially for it. It's very sad that OEMs resort to anti-consumer behavior like this.

Aviboy97

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes, their 2021 allocation formula was 100% based on reservations converted to orders. That why Granger/SAC/Chapman offered the deals they did. Small to medium dealers saw how the system worked and decided they could turn that around and make it work for them and their customers.
So youā€™re telling me Ford gave no order guidelines on Bronco? Reservations were guaranteed, regardless of earned allocation?

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got a call back from Granger. Basically my res. with them is #861 or something and I couldn't expect a Bronco for 3 to 4 years at the current rate. Needless to say I moved the order to my local dealer at MSRP.
What was your reservation time and date?

BuckyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That was shown to be wrong with the 2021 allocations. It's only correct now after Ford changed the rules.
Only 50% of the 2021 allocations were based off of reservations. This was the thread discussing that, and the post I linked proved accurate for 2021 (and now even more so for 2022).

OP
OP

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So youā€™re telling me Ford gave no order guidelines on Bronco? Reservations were guaranteed, regardless of earned allocation?
Yes they did give other guidelines. They said ALL reservations would be built before dealer stock orders.
Sponsored