First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I owned the ‘17 Tacoma TRD Pro and although it was a great truck, I didn’t love the “new” powertrain they introduced in ‘16. It still had rear drums, no JBL, no sunroof, they held all of those things back until ‘18. I got out of that for an ‘18 TRD Pro 4Runner which was a great vehicle, but again, boring and WAY behind the times. They held a ton of stuff back in that one as well. Finally (and reluctantly) got out of Toyota for a Ford... an ‘18 Raptor and holy sh*t, that thing is fun. It is still my daily and feel it doesn’t compromise anything. Initially people were reluctant, as was I, because of the EcoBoost, “no proper V8. True Trucks have to have V8’s... blah blah blah.” But, out on the trails and in washes, EVERYONE gets out of the way. An absolute BEAST on and off-road. I never find myself wishing for more power, more clearance, better tires, anything. I got my order in for the Bronco as soon as I possibly could because I an suspecting and expecting the same experience (maybe even better) with the Bronco! Can’t wait!
The Taco powertrain is complete garbage. To me it always feels confused. The Pro models are very capable offroad but they lack so bad in the tech department. I've wheeled some moderate trails in CO and wheeled with highly moded Jeeps and have never needed help. Toyota A-Trac and crawl control almost make up for the missing front locker. Like you I came very close for a Raptor a few months ago. I really prefer an SUV but if Ford would have done the 84 months 0% I would have jumped. Looking so forward to the Bronco!!
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I love my FJ too but probably my favorite vehicle would be my F150 so yeah I am PRO FORD AND TOYOTA! I also have owned way more Fords than Toyota's.

This slow roll-out is good for me 2022 is about when I want to get one.

Yeah, I'm not in a hurry to buy another vehicle. Excited and can't wait to start wheeling it, but am in no hurry, if that makes sense. I hate spending money on vehicles.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm ditching my 2016 4Runner TRD Pro for the Bronco. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my 4Runner but it is pretty boring. We actually own 2 Pros so I'll still have one in the garage. The 6 Gen 4Runner is coming but I'm not expecting anything life shattering though. They do have a cult like following but I think many like me will leave do to them being so conservative and not giving us what we want. I got Banned from the Pro FB page just for saying that I ordered a Bronco and if anyone else was jumping ship. It started a shit show. :ROFLMAO:

side.jpg
Oh shoot thats funny
They are rabid owners
I knew a guy from iraq he said toyota owns the dessert.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Taco powertrain is complete garbage. To me it always feels confused. The Pro models are very capable offroad but they lack so bad in the tech department. I've wheeled some moderate trails in CO and wheeled with highly moded Jeeps and have never needed help. Toyota A-Trac and crawl control almost make up for the missing front locker. Like you I came very close for a Raptor a few months ago. I really prefer an SUV but if Ford would have done the 84 months 0% I would have jumped. Looking so forward to the Bronco!!
I wouldn't call the powertrain garbage, just got to get the correct transmission. Then change the gearing. Then good to go.

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4Runner owner here that just put down a deposit. I am blown away by what I am seeing in this vehicle, I used to own a Jeep CJ-7 but the cargo space flat out wasn't enough to suit my adventures. Had an Xterra for years and it was great but the cheap plastic interior had run its course. Now I own a built up 2017 4Runner that I love but every obstacle departure is accompanied by a small prayer that the giant ass end of the thing won't scrape some Colorado granite. Finally! A real off road rig with decent cargo space and to top it all off I can get everything I want from the factory. I was attracted by the looks but as I read the specs and picked my jaw off the floor from the available stock options it became very clear this was the rig for me. Well done Ford!

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reserved 6G
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4Runner owner here that just put down a deposit. I am blown away by what I am seeing in this vehicle, I used to own a Jeep CJ-7 but the cargo space flat out wasn't enough to suit my adventures. Had an Xterra for years and it was great but the cheap plastic interior had run its course. Now I own a built up 2017 4Runner that I love but every obstacle departure is accompanied by a small prayer that the giant ass end of the thing won't scrape some Colorado granite. Finally! A real off road rig with decent cargo space and to top it all off I can get everything I want from the factory. I was attracted by the looks but as I read the specs and picked my jaw off the floor from the available stock options it became very clear this was the rig for me. Well done Ford!
Have watched so many videos of it scraping the back end at fins and things

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Toyota made a removable top, manual transmission 4Runner with a decent motor, I probably wouldn’t be here.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having worked within the Toyota brand for ten years, it's extremely disappointing that the current generation 4Runner has seen NO changes since its release in 2010, and no drivetrain upgrades since 2005. The thing is an antique by current standards, and unless they do something crazy with the next generation, I'll be giving Ford a shot.

Toyota's mechanical reliability is one thing, but it's pointless when it hasn't changed fundamentally in 15 years.
This just isn't unique to the 4runner though, modern car runs just last for a decade plus now. I don't expect Ford to update this Bronco for 10+ years. Sure they will do a Raptor, and some surface level trim updates but I don't expect them to change much unless there is a significant issue with current engines/trans.

Part of the reason I won't buy if they try to mark up MSRP, I know Ford is going to make a million of these things.

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a Toyota guy and this is my garage. I'm hoping the Bronco is fun and reliable.
Ford Bronco Does the Bronco stand a chance against the 4Runners reputation IMG_0060 (2).JPG
Ford Bronco Does the Bronco stand a chance against the 4Runners reputation IMG_0068.JPG
Ford Bronco Does the Bronco stand a chance against the 4Runners reputation IMG_0084.JPG
Ford Bronco Does the Bronco stand a chance against the 4Runners reputation IMG_0094.JPG

Sponsored

Orangeinthebarn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 z71, 1992 bronco, 1977 F-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Does the Bronco have a chance against the 4Runners reputation? Would Toyota guys be foolish to leave their tried true Dependable 4x4’s for something American? Thoughts ? ?
4 runner great family and vacation vehicle that’s pretty amazing. It will get you through everyday life situations. The bronco will be the man of the house ride daily driver trail rig.

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s a nice 4 runner. Where you get the flag for the window? That would look awesome on hard top side windows
I'm guessing you are referring to mine? If so thanks! I got them off of ebay. They will probably the first mod to the Bronco. MERICA ??
Sponsored