First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Corolla LE
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
A few weeks back Bronco6G posted this picture of my Bronco having catastrophic failure while on king of the hill K2 Ketemcy Ranch in Mason Tx. Here is the update and caution.

#1 I did exactly what’s stamped in the fender wells “lift me baby” and added 2” lift.
#2 I added 37” tires to my stock rims
#3 I wheeled this thing every weekend at some very difficult trails in TX. From trees ranch, K2, and hidden falls.

I’ll say this machine is awesome and did a lot of things others with similar features couldn’t. Three weeks ago when my rack and pinion, and inners failed I realized these components are really similar in size to that of a UTV and not a marketed off road vehicle. (Bought for this purpose and not a daily) I held on to it and didn’t initially take into warranty with Ford mainly because why put the same undersized parts back on to happen over and over again.

Once I realized there is no aftermarket solution and won’t be for a long time, I decided to take it in and let Ford warranty and fix with parts that are not the long term solution but at least allow me to use until new solutions come available. In the end Dealership (Northside Ford San Antonio Tx) turned down. Not for any reason but the fact I have scratches all over my skid plates. Yes they admitted they never dissembled anything just put on lift and declined for and I quote “ looks like a cheese grater went through the underside of your vehicle.”

I refuse to pay $2,200 for faulty design so now I’m left as the consumer to figure out a better solution. I have another Badlands coming in three weeks for the wife and would love better solutions. I attached pictures for reference of the undersized components. Not Whining just looking to help others and hopefully work together as a community to truly make the Ford Bronco the best off road vehicle on the market.

25F13FFC-FB75-4DE4-8182-585D66216392.jpeg

c86545a8-9a8f-4680-8cdf-209d064dce30-jpeg.jpg

b8f8878a-e143-4e68-81f8-8908ada9328c-jpeg.jpg

05461FB2-97B2-481A-9A89-9ABA2FB0A502.jpeg
7D363D49-4172-456A-9D5A-1784543D0BAB.jpeg
I live in SA. Never been impressed with the dealer you took it to for repair. I’d try another dealer like Red McCombs or Ford of Boerne. I would think Ford would cover it under warranty. I would also think they would want the parts to perform a failure analysis to improve in the future. Good luck…hope they honor the warranty. 🤞🙏
Sponsored

OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder how hard it would be to disassemble the rack. If you can get it apart you may be able to design up some gears and have a machine shop make some up. I also wonder if it a similar rack to some of the other Fords. Maybe able to get a temporary one cheaper till a more long-term solution is created.
Yes working through similar. Going to try some other racks and see if we can modify

OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live in SA. Never been impressed with the dealer you took it to for repair. I’d try another dealer like Red McCombs or Ford of Boerne. I would think Ford would cover it under warranty. I would also think they would want the parts to perform a failure analysis to improve in the future. Good luck…hope they honor the warranty. 🤞🙏
Funny thing is I’ve bought quarter million in vehicles this year from Northside. I actually bought this one from Red Mcombs but don’t have a relationship with them so that’s why I went to NS

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I guess I have a different mindset...

The moment I put bigger tires on, I feel like I am kissing a lot of warranty goodbye. Transmission, transfer case, steering,... I just assumed it was all on me after that point. Ya, I know about the Magnuson Moss warranty thing, but the burden of proof really ends up on the buyer...and wouldn't be worth fighting.

Its going to be interesting to see how Ford handles these kind of things... I know most dealers won't touch a deleted/tuned truck anymore. Ford from my understanding has really cracked down on dealers looking the other way.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I guess I have a different mindset...

The moment I put bigger tires on, I feel like I am kissing a lot of warranty goodbye. Transmission, transfer case, steering,... I just assumed it was all on me after that point. Ya, I know about the Magnuson Moss warranty thing, but the burden of proof really ends up on the buyer...and wouldn't be worth fighting.

Its going to be interesting to see how Ford handles these kind of things... I know most dealers won't touch a deleted/tuned truck anymore. Ford from my understanding has really cracked down on dealers looking the other way.
Same thing cross my mind when I read 37" tires. Indeed the inner fender cover says "Lift me baby", would that cover size tires change??. Would it be interesting to know at what point Ford warranty will cover modified vehicles.

I haven't read any guidance about warranty when you lift the Bronco.

Sponsored

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your best bet is to replace the parts with OEM Ford until a better aftermarket solution presents itself. You’ll probably have to pay out of pocket to get it back on the road. Live and learn and leave obstacles like that to built/beefed up rigs…

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If Ford has done anything, it’s touting the Bronco as a bad ass off road vehicle. They compare to a wrangler, they test it at the Rubicon, Moab, and more. It says lift me under the fender. It can come stock with 35s…

This bronco had 37s, only one size bigger than what you can get from the factory. I can understand some bent rods, but The whole rack failed. I guess this is what we get buying first gen. Nice to see folks taking it to its limits so I don’t by mistake.

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not that it is a solution but info to look into. They built a Toyota 4 tuner on dirt every day...they kept the independent front, beefed up of course...but Fred put a rack from a 200 series Toyota and it was beefy. No idea if there is one out there that size that could be modified to fit in a bronco, mounts ,ect....but if you have access to motor trend it's worth watching....latest season...they built it and took it on a crazy northern CA trail. Held up.

Sponsored

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So you pulled the whole rack out instead of just replacing the inner rods 🤔

I would rather the inner or outers fail than the rack itself due to the outside parts getting beefed up as it would be an easier trail repair with parts on hand. YMMV
Putting 37" tires on puts a whole lot more twist into those components. No way Ford will warranty them.

iKore

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Jeep TJ, 80 Series Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would think that there is a liability issue when Ford wrote "lift me baby". on the fender well.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I sure hope they're putting beefier parts on the Bronco Raptor, which would hopefully mean an OEM upgrade path for us. A stripped rack is sketchy and I'm afraid we're going to see plenty of this even from stock rigs.