AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Based on his up close picture, it looks more like compressive force caused the rod to bend at the narrow part until it broke. Breaking both sides and the rack is impressive, in a bad way.
Idk the rods look bent back and up, either way old like to know more about the situation.
Sponsored

Chaos

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hmmm, 1 stripped rack.... wow that is real evidence for an issue.... When dozens of these are reported then it might be something to get all up in arms about. That does not mean this should or shouldn't be warrantied. That is a corporate decision overall, but the first line is the dealer, and many dealers prefer to just get paid direct from a customer and not warranty products. It is simple economics, cash flow and time. Each time I see this video, all I can think is get off the throttle. I am not saying I would have done it any different, it is easy to arm chair... It has taken me years to not just automatically go to more gas to get over an obstacle. More gas is the quickest and easiest solution, but it is also the most risky.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
There’s a big difference between 37” BFG ATs (Bronco Raptor/F150 Raptor) and 37” Toyo/Nitto/Mickey Thompson/Cooper/Yokohama/Falken tires. 37” BFG ATs weigh 65# and measure 35.5-36” under the weight of most 4 door Jeeps/F150s. True 37s (basically all other manufacturers) weigh anywhere from 76-84# and measure closer to 36-36.5” under those same vehicles. Not saying he wouldn’t have grenaded his rack/tie rods with 37” KO2s but heavy ass 37” Toyo MTs certainly didn’t help the stock parts.
Do you think any of these 37"s on under-sized stock BL 8" wide wheels make a difference ?

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wouldn't give up getting this warrantied. Ford markets this vehicles as a capable off-roader. It was doing the same thing as what the engineers were doing at the Rubicon. I know when TFL was off-roading their Ram Rebel "I think it was" they snapped a front axel and Dodge replaced it under warranty, no questions asked. If Ford wants to have the same loyal customers as Jeep; then these are the things they need and SHOULD be fixing. It's not like you were abusing it or jumping it.
Not factory lift, and not factory tires though, and dealers love citing these kind of things for warranty denials.

Sponsored

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ford's push back will be the lift (altered the steering geometry) and the 37" tires (increased the altered steering geometry and added additional stress and leverage to the steering rack). It is certainly worth a try to elevate the claim above the dealer level but I don't see Ford fixing it. If it were all stock I think it would be tough for Ford to not cover it.
Take it to a different ford dealer, I am sure one of them will warranty it.

tuletime

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A few weeks back Bronco6G posted this picture of my Bronco having catastrophic failure while on king of the hill K2 Ketemcy Ranch in Mason Tx. Here is the update and caution.

#1 I did exactly what’s stamped in the fender wells “lift me baby” and added 2” lift.
#2 I added 37” tires to my stock rims
#3 I wheeled this thing every weekend at some very difficult trails in TX. From trees ranch, K2, and hidden falls.

I’ll say this machine is awesome and did a lot of things others with similar features couldn’t. Three weeks ago when my rack and pinion, and inners failed I realized these components are really similar in size to that of a UTV and not a marketed off road vehicle. (Bought for this purpose and not a daily) I held on to it and didn’t initially take into warranty with Ford mainly because why put the same undersized parts back on to happen over and over again.

Once I realized there is no aftermarket solution and won’t be for a long time, I decided to take it in and let Ford warranty and fix with parts that are not the long term solution but at least allow me to use until new solutions come available. In the end Dealership (Northside Ford San Antonio Tx) turned down. Not for any reason but the fact I have scratches all over my skid plates. Yes they admitted they never dissembled anything just put on lift and declined for and I quote “ looks like a cheese grater went through the underside of your vehicle.”

I refuse to pay $2,200 for faulty design so now I’m left as the consumer to figure out a better solution. I have another Badlands coming in three weeks for the wife and would love better solutions. I attached pictures for reference of the undersized components. Not Whining just looking to help others and hopefully work together as a community to truly make the Ford Bronco the best off road vehicle on the market.

25F13FFC-FB75-4DE4-8182-585D66216392.jpeg

c86545a8-9a8f-4680-8cdf-209d064dce30-jpeg.jpg

b8f8878a-e143-4e68-81f8-8908ada9328c-jpeg.jpg

05461FB2-97B2-481A-9A89-9ABA2FB0A502.jpeg
7D363D49-4172-456A-9D5A-1784543D0BAB.jpeg
Hate to say it but I think your outcome will be repeated over and over! Ford turned down warranty work on my friends F-150 that he bought off the lot with a 4 inch lift. He was told warranty would be honored if he had work done by 4 Wheel Parts. He was out 2500 dollars for his repairs. They did offer to refund his extended warranty of around 2000.00 dollars but cautioned that he could still have electrical issues in future that Warranty would cover so he kept it!

Daisy76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A few weeks back Bronco6G posted this picture of my Bronco having catastrophic failure while on king of the hill K2 Ketemcy Ranch in Mason Tx. Here is the update and caution.

#1 I did exactly what’s stamped in the fender wells “lift me baby” and added 2” lift.
#2 I added 37” tires to my stock rims
#3 I wheeled this thing every weekend at some very difficult trails in TX. From trees ranch, K2, and hidden falls.

I’ll say this machine is awesome and did a lot of things others with similar features couldn’t. Three weeks ago when my rack and pinion, and inners failed I realized these components are really similar in size to that of a UTV and not a marketed off road vehicle. (Bought for this purpose and not a daily) I held on to it and didn’t initially take into warranty with Ford mainly because why put the same undersized parts back on to happen over and over again.

Once I realized there is no aftermarket solution and won’t be for a long time, I decided to take it in and let Ford warranty and fix with parts that are not the long term solution but at least allow me to use until new solutions come available. In the end Dealership (Northside Ford San Antonio Tx) turned down. Not for any reason but the fact I have scratches all over my skid plates. Yes they admitted they never dissembled anything just put on lift and declined for and I quote “ looks like a cheese grater went through the underside of your vehicle.”

I refuse to pay $2,200 for faulty design so now I’m left as the consumer to figure out a better solution. I have another Badlands coming in three weeks for the wife and would love better solutions. I attached pictures for reference of the undersized components. Not Whining just looking to help others and hopefully work together as a community to truly make the Ford Bronco the best off road vehicle on the market.

25F13FFC-FB75-4DE4-8182-585D66216392.jpeg

c86545a8-9a8f-4680-8cdf-209d064dce30-jpeg.jpg

b8f8878a-e143-4e68-81f8-8908ada9328c-jpeg.jpg

05461FB2-97B2-481A-9A89-9ABA2FB0A502.jpeg
7D363D49-4172-456A-9D5A-1784543D0BAB.jpeg
Im sure your heard the term “You gotta pay to play”! Well, you are finding out first hand what that means and its ridiculous that you think Ford is going to cover this for you. As soon as you mod a vehicle, the warranty is pretty much voided. Has been that way for atleast the past 20yrs. Jeep and every manufacture follow the same guidelines. FoMoCo is not your sponsor and when you add lift it changes A-Arm/balljoint angles, axle geometry, tierod geometry and so on, plus bigger tires especially 37s add incredible weight and stress. Didnt you have 13.50 also? There is a reason Ford has hours upon hours of R&D and thats what makes the Sasquatch package so unique. Its covered under factory warranty because it has factory parts. If I put a supercharger on my Mustang with 3 shots of nitrous and race every weekend, do you think Ford is gonna give me a new rear end, tranny, or engine when it finally goes? Hell No! Same difference with a modded 4wd. Btw, I have seen Jeeps completely explode the front differential with hardcore offroading. Doesnt mean the front axle is weak just abused above its capabalities. Everything has its limits and you do not have a Sponsorship with Ford. In fact don’t be surprised if something else minor goes bad down the rd and they deny your warranty. Especially with you having evidence all over social media of your mods and abuse. So own up to it, learn from it and move on.

Dimitar

Badlands
First Name
Dimitar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to hear about your situation, but the vehicle isn’t immune to mechanical failure (even off-road) and you haven’t told us exactly how you ripped the rack.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Stripped rack is concerning. Tie rods no big deal, but that was a small bump on that obstacle. Not convinced the same wouldn’t have happened on 35’s. The additional weight certainly didn’t help, but that wasn’t a massive bump by OP.

OP would love to see your findings when you get a chance to pull the rack apart.

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tensile strength of a 1/2 bolt even at grade 5 is like 120 ksi.

I'd like to see a video of you hitting whatever you did to do that. My bet is you went in a little hot.....
The heat treat of the steel at Grade 5 is 120,000psi, which means the Proof Strength of the 1/2" thread is only 13,000-14,000lbf to cause the bolt to yield. Those inner's definitely yielded prior to fracture.

OP, DM me if you want me to determine the material strength of those failed inner tie rods. As a future Bronco owner I would perform the material testing for Free because those look like spaghetti to me.

jimbo92

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Do some digging into the "Fun Haver" ranger Vaughn built. It took some dough but he's running 40s on it pretty successfully. 37's are a lot of tire and up until recently required tons to wheel like you're wheeling. Hell a JK required RCVs, a truss, sleeves, inner C gussets, and a sector shaft/pitman arm gusset. The JL axles seem to be a touch stronger. As the ol adage goes... Cool shit aint cheap and cheap shit aint cool. Even if there isnt a solid upgrade currently, as common place as its becoming to wheel with IFS and make it live, I'm sure an upgrade isn't too far in the distant future. I don't think it will take the 25 years it took for people to figure out how to upgrade the yota stuff.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you consider that the Bronco they showed us on the launch date was equipped with 37" tires I think it would be hard for Ford to deny that they implied it was capable of running tires of that size so they should not be able to deny warranty because of 37's.
Sponsored