Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This reminds me of the bent Frames on the gen 1 raptor with the same response from Ford then. 10 out of 14 raptors on one run bent their frames. Ford said they were traveling to fast.
I recall reading that with-in a year or so ALL F-150 incorporated the frame changes - these people were doing Ford's tough testing for them - cheaper for Ford to fix this guys car than pay to trash one themselves to figure out a weakness.
Sponsored

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In this case the rack also broke. Stripped the gear.
I’d think that would take a whole lot of lateral force to do that. Must have been quite a torque on one of those front wheels and something holding the other one from rotating.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
A lot of years ago, my first new take home car was a Crown Vic. Front end collapsed on the right side. Went with the chief to the dealer. Had had it in for work under warranty/oil changes on a few occasions. Kept a pocket notebook of everything having to do with it, down to the gallons of gas I put in it. The service manager said I must have hit something to cause the failure. I told him that it was a tool that I used on the job, and that I didn't get "in trouble" if I hit something, only if I tried to cover it up. Opened up the notebook and quoted to him the dates when it was in for service and that I had also complained of front end noise on every occasion. Chief and I glowered at him. Turns out that once he made a coupla calls up the food chain, it wasn't the first problem with it, but it was one of the first. Ford told him to take it to the body shop to have it repaired. All police interceptors of that year not yet produced were recalled for a fix. Turns out that beefing up the suspension for police use put too much stress on other parts.

Long, I know, but at the end of the day, we're all enthusiasts, the OP may be the first or one of the first to experience this. I encourage him to be enough of an asshole to force this to go up the food chain for all our sakes...

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
A couple of things here:

As much as the community wants this to be true, the Bronco IS NOT the best off roader on the market. It is great at what it does and seems to be better on road than most true off roaders like a Wrangler. I say "seems" because I've never actually driven a Bronco. The community is falling for Ford's hype and trying to make the Bronco what it isn't.

Secondly, why should a dealership and Ford warranty a repair when a lift AND 37" tires were added? They should 100% warranty the vehicle even with the marks on the skid plate IF it had stock components.
Never even driven a Bronco but somehow knows it’s not the best off roader. Lmao

The Bronco is a fantastic off road truck, better than the Wrangler IMO. Off roading is more than just extreme rock crawling. There’s a reason the KOH winners are almost always IFS trucks.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

The Bronco is a fantastic off road truck, better than the Wrangler IMO. Off roading is more than just extreme rock crawling. There’s a reason the KOH winners are almost always IFS trucks.
Huge difference with KOH ifs and most IFS trucks is mid engine. KOH rigs need to be mid engine to get travel and be not to wide. SXS have been this setup. If you follow sXS the maveric came out swinging for the RZR. Really long arms even being mid engine ended up failing at KOH being to wide witch is weaker and harder to get through obstacles. Also when racing you take the easiest line and are not playing. Best offroad really is more about best for you offroad. So far Wrangler has the crown and Bronco can say it has potential and rightfully so. We will see. Best part is we all benefit from the compitition.

Sponsored

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not sure but I think the second sounds logical. It all happened pretty much at once but like anything I’m sure there was an order that led to the entire failure

What specifically was the truck doing that led up to the moment of failure? As noted by others, it takes an awful lot of force to cause one of those rod ends to fail like that. It should cause some powerful motions in the steering wheel, maybe pull it out of your hands. Two rods plus a stripped out rack implies something extremely violent took place. Otherwise, if this wasn't violent you may have exposed a weakness.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The best thing to do for a trail busted warranty visit is a long detailed trip to the self-serve car wash, followed by returning to original wheels and tires, etc., etc.
The scratches underneath are proof that the "bash" plates work - there are no scratches on what they protect - take them off if they look that bad - just sent them out to get powder coated.
Finally, do not post any wrecking-crew video's - the Dealer has board employees' with computers and phones.
Make the Dealer and Ford Rep's work for that denial.
This is the way. Many dealers will not give you a fair shake, if they can get out of it in ANY way.
Mild upgrades (and in this case, it is mild compared to stock), get blamed for EVERYTHING. Can try another dealer, but I suspect all the notes with your VIN are already in their system.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’d think that would take a whole lot of lateral force to do that. Must have been quite a torque on one of those front wheels and something holding the other one from rotating.
I agree. Likely some bouncing and wheel turning side to side looking for traction.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What specifically was the truck doing that led up to the moment of failure? As noted by others, it takes an awful lot of force to cause one of those rod ends to fail like that. It should cause some powerful motions in the steering wheel, maybe pull it out of your hands. Two rods plus a stripped out rack implies something extremely violent took place. Otherwise, if this wasn't violent you may have exposed a weakness.
For those of us that have hard core rock crawled EB and FSB's with stock steering/boxes for years up through 36's, what he did was not all that. In fact, EB steering boxes handle 40's with no issue, FSB steering boxes handle 43 stickies or 44 boggers (personally done both for many years). Even TTB steering links (not really a strong point on those rigs), can take more abuse than what's in that video.

RecklessKelly

Wildtrak
First Name
Reckless Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, CABT Excursion, Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A lot of years ago, my first new take home car was a Crown Vic. Front end collapsed on the right side. Went with the chief to the dealer. Had had it in for work under warranty/oil changes on a few occasions. Kept a pocket notebook of everything having to do with it, down to the gallons of gas I put in it. The service manager said I must have hit something to cause the failure. I told him that it was a tool that I used on the job, and that I didn't get "in trouble" if I hit something, only if I tried to cover it up. Opened up the notebook and quoted to him the dates when it was in for service and that I had also complained of front end noise on every occasion. Chief and I glowered at him. Turns out that once he made a coupla calls up the food chain, it wasn't the first problem with it, but it was one of the first. Ford told him to take it to the body shop to have it repaired. All police interceptors of that year not yet produced were recalled for a fix. Turns out that beefing up the suspension for police use put too much stress on other parts.

Long, I know, but at the end of the day, we're all enthusiasts, the OP may be the first or one of the first to experience this. I encourage him to be enough of an asshole to force this to go up the food chain for all our sakes...
Psut, agree! We run a lot of equipment in challenging enviroments. This is a big deal that needs studied and further investigated.

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What year model? I had a 2002 from new….
When I turned it back in only the roof was original sheet metal

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Huge difference with KOH ifs and most IFS trucks is mid engine. KOH rigs need to be mid engine to get travel and be not to wide. SXS have been this setup. If you follow sXS the maveric came out swinging for the RZR. Really long arms even being mid engine ended up failing at KOH being to wide witch is weaker and harder to get through obstacles. Also when racing you take the easiest line and are not playing. Best offroad really is more about best for you offroad. So far Wrangler has the crown and Bronco can say it has potential and rightfully so. We will see. Best part is we all benefit from the compitition.
B.S.
:ROFLMAO:

Tunagates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

A few weeks back Bronco6G posted this picture of my Bronco having catastrophic failure while on king of the hill K2 Ketemcy Ranch in Mason Tx. Here is the update and caution.

#1 I did exactly what’s stamped in the fender wells “lift me baby” and added 2” lift.
#2 I added 37” tires to my stock rims
#3 I wheeled this thing every weekend at some very difficult trails in TX. From trees ranch, K2, and hidden falls.

I’ll say this machine is awesome and did a lot of things others with similar features couldn’t. Three weeks ago when my rack and pinion, and inners failed I realized these components are really similar in size to that of a UTV and not a marketed off road vehicle. (Bought for this purpose and not a daily) I held on to it and didn’t initially take into warranty with Ford mainly because why put the same undersized parts back on to happen over and over again.

Once I realized there is no aftermarket solution and won’t be for a long time, I decided to take it in and let Ford warranty and fix with parts that are not the long term solution but at least allow me to use until new solutions come available. In the end Dealership (Northside Ford San Antonio Tx) turned down. Not for any reason but the fact I have scratches all over my skid plates. Yes they admitted they never dissembled anything just put on lift and declined for and I quote “ looks like a cheese grater went through the underside of your vehicle.”

I refuse to pay $2,200 for faulty design so now I’m left as the consumer to figure out a better solution. I have another Badlands coming in three weeks for the wife and would love better solutions. I attached pictures for reference of the undersized components. Not Whining just looking to help others and hopefully work together as a community to truly make the Ford Bronco the best off road vehicle on the market.

25F13FFC-FB75-4DE4-8182-585D66216392.jpeg

c86545a8-9a8f-4680-8cdf-209d064dce30-jpeg.jpg

b8f8878a-e143-4e68-81f8-8908ada9328c-jpeg.jpg

05461FB2-97B2-481A-9A89-9ABA2FB0A502.jpeg
7D363D49-4172-456A-9D5A-1784543D0BAB.jpeg
Hey guys - still learning, new to off-roading - can anyone breakdown what happened here in novice terms? Thx.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

UHM,... can we check the stats on that?

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys - still learning, new to off-roading - can anyone breakdown what happened here in novice terms? Thx.
Lifted his Bronco 2 inches, put 37 tires on it, went trailing on an extreme ( IMHO ) trail. Broke both tie rods ( tie rods are rods make you turn left right in conjuncture with the rack & pinion they "tie" to your rack in pinion who your steering column connects too) and stripped rack & pinion. , tried to have it repaired/replaced under warranty but was denied by Ford dealer.

That's about it
Sponsored