Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Mesh vs Ford Canvas (my22) vs aftermarket….what are everyone’s thoughts and opinions?
Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't seen the canvas one but the mesh looks pretty good. I'm not sure I like the metal crossbar though.

The only aftermarket one I've seen so far is the GearShade. It looks OK.

I'm waiting to see what JTops releases next spring.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Canvas is vaporware as of right now. I’ll get it once it’s available though!

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll be looking for mesh, but the Ford one with that metal cross bar is a no go for me, I love that I don't have a stupid "sports bar" over my head like in a Wrangler (one of the things I never liked there) and I'm certainly not gonna add one myself. Someone will come up with one that doesn't sag so bad that a support beam is needed. Also don't like those lines where I think there are zippers so you can open the hard top? I have a soft top, no zippers for me. Just a simple mesh, attached with bungies with ball ends or something like that will be fine, just for the hotter months to keep some of the sun off me. Canvas again would defeat the open roof thing for me, one of the main reasons I bought this rig.
I'm sure there will be quite some options soon enough, won't need one for a couple months.

Sponsored

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought the Gearshade. It's solid, and no zippers. It's a little noisier than no mesh (I think due to trapping wind) but it sure is cooler.

MilesAhead

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Someone else on the site posted a video of the gearshade and there was a ton of motion and flapping. It was reportedly installed incorrectly, but there wasn’t any follow-up. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance…

I bought the Gearshade. It's solid, and no zippers. It's a little noisier than no mesh (I think due to trapping wind) but it sure is cooler.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Someone else on the site posted a video of the gearshade and there was a ton of motion and flapping. It was reportedly installed incorrectly, but there wasn’t any follow-up. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance…
I have the gearshade and I like it. It is tight all the way around and does great at 45 mph and less. Get on the highway and it has quite a bit of movement. Then again everything moves with the top down over 45! ;)

It is a lot cooler than the sun beating down on you for sure.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One more thing on the gearshade, you can leave it on an pop the top back up over it. On the inside it looks cool, almost like a headliner.

Sponsored

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the gearshade and I like it. It is tight all the way around and does great at 45 mph and less. Get on the highway and it has quite a bit of movement. Then again everything moves with the top down over 45! ;)

It is a lot cooler than the sun beating down on you for sure.
Same here - yep it moves, particularly with the roof in the first rearward position. I think it traps wind, adding to the movement. But it sure is better than the sun beating down on you.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll be looking for mesh, but the Ford one with that metal cross bar is a no go for me, I love that I don't have a stupid "sports bar" over my head like in a Wrangler (one of the things I never liked there) and I'm certainly not gonna add one myself. Someone will come up with one that doesn't sag so bad that a support beam is needed. Also don't like those lines where I think there are zippers so you can open the hard top? I have a soft top, no zippers for me. Just a simple mesh, attached with bungies with ball ends or something like that will be fine, just for the hotter months to keep some of the sun off me. Canvas again would defeat the open roof thing for me, one of the main reasons I bought this rig.
I'm sure there will be quite some options soon enough, won't need one for a couple months.
As others have said, the metal bar is not noticeable and in no way comparable to the Wrangler sports bar/speaker that goes across the middle. Zippers didn't bother me much at all and we actually used them to slip a drone through so we could take-off from the top of the Bronco and not have to get out while filming some off-roading footage. As far as bungee ball cords that most Wranglers use, no go on the Bronco unless you plan on keeping the windows down all the time. Also, the mesh top is perfectly fine to keep installed all year round and doesn't sag when you undo the front clips to put the top up or on. Unlike my Jeep mesh top which would sag and lay on top of your head if you undid the front clips and installed the hard top. Overall we are happy with the Ford mesh version and agree that a canvas top defeats the whole purpose.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a fan of the canvas top style. :cool:

cbrownabq

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge 2500 diesel
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Canvas Bimini with doors off. That’s how I used to Rolland I will again when so get my Bronco……in 2025
Sponsored