Sponsored

FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
First, let me say that I absolutely loved my Bronco while I had it. Drove great. Looked awesome, bigger in person, than it looks in pictures. I hope to get it back at some point - or another one, depending. I am super disappointed - and the information and communication from Ford has been 'ok' but not great.

So here's what happened...
Last Thursday, I am driving from Greensboro, NC down to the SC coast - Pawley's Island area. I am on a 2-lane road near Gresham, SC and the engine cuts out - I am coasting, now power. I get it pulled over. I'm thinking it is a computer glitch issue, maybe somehow I get it stopped, cycle the power and I will be good to go. I've got warning lights all over the place - engine, battery, auto-off etc. etc. It won't re-start. Plenty of auxiliary power for radio, lights etc. Starter is working fine, but won't re-fire.

I call Ford roadside and they tow it to Conway Ford in Conway, SC. On Friday afternoon, the service advisor at Conway calls with the bad news. They dropped the oil pan and found a bunch of metal in the oil. THE ENGINE AND TURBOS NEED TO BE COMPLETELY REPLACED. Pretty crushing - to wait 16months for a vehicle and have that happen in the first 1000mi.

Given the parts situation - Conway has not been able to give me a repair timeline yet. I am awaiting that information - before I decide if I want Ford to buy it back and send me a new one - which is what I think they should've offered to do from the jump.

Ford Customer service has put me in a rental for the time being.
I don't feel like I am getting the level of service that a failure of this sort should demand - but everyone has been friendly and at least somewhat helpful.

If someone in Ford Production or Ford Engine Plant reads this and wants to help - please contact me. [email protected]

UPDATES:

10/28/21 - Dealer says they expect the new motor to be 'released' in mid November. Their biggest concern is finding the "one time use" parts, more so than the actual failed part.

11/4//21: Conway Ford reports that they have all the needed parts and are simply awaiting the engine itself - which is expected to be 'released' sometime between 11/15 and 11/22. Communication and coordination between the dealer, ford customer service and myself has been really good. Despite the initial frustration, I am pleasantly surprised so far. Will update further as I know more.

11/12: Ford Dealer called and said they should have the new engine by 11/18. They then called on 11/17 and said they had it and had a couple other cars to finish up and they would start on it.

11/22: dealer called today to tell me it was ready for pickup. I plan to go and pick it up tomorrow.

overall: coordination between Ford and the dealer and myself has been excellent, despite my initial frustration/fears. While I donā€™t yet have it back as I write this - Iā€™m pretty impressed with how things have gone and especially the timeline. All things considered.

I have not yet closed the case with Ford corporate - in terms of financial remediation. Iā€™ll report back when that is done.

FINAL UPDATE (1/22/22):
Apologies for the delay.
I picked my Bronco up on 11/23/21 and havenā€™t had any issues since. Ford reimbursed me for the 4 weeks of a rental and extended my warranty to 5yr/100k miles. You have to ask for these. Very important you get connected with a Ford customer service rep early on.

1/25/22: Service repair write-up posted

if anyone sees this and experiences the same or similar problem, feel free to reach out - there are some tips Iā€™m happy to share.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NoleDawg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nightmare. I may have missed it - 2.3 or 2.7?

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This really sucks. I hope at a minimum that your troubles helps all of us in the long run to make a better product.

Sponsored

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

First, let me say that I absolutely loved my Bronco while I had it. Drove great. Looked awesome, bigger in person, than it looks in pictures. I hope to get it back at some point - or another one, depending. I am super disappointed - and the information and communication from Ford has been 'ok' but not great.

Last Thursday, I am driving from Greensboro, NC down to the SC coast - Pawley's Island area. I am on a 2-lane road near Gresham, SC and the engine cuts out - I am coasting, now power. I get it pulled over. I'm thinking it is a computer glitch issue, maybe somehow I get it stopped, cycle the power and I will be good to go. I've got warning lights all over the place - engine, battery, auto-off etc. etc. It won't re-start. Plenty of auxiliary power for radio, lights etc. Starter is working fine, but won't re-fire.

I call Ford roadside and they tow it to Conway Ford in Conway, SC. On Friday afternoon, the service advisor at Conway calls with the bad news. They dropped the oil pan and found a bunch of metal in the oil. THE ENGINE AND TURBOS NEED TO BE COMPLETELY REPLACED. Pretty crushing - to wait 16months for a vehicle and have that happen in the first 1000mi.

Given the parts situation - Conway has not been able to give me a repair timeline yet. I am awaiting that information - before I decide if I want Ford to buy it back and send me a new one - which is what I think they should've offered to do from the jump.

I don't feel like I am getting the level of service that a failure of this sort should demand - but everyone has been friendly and at least somewhat helpful.

If someone in Ford Production or Ford Engine Plant reads this and wants to help - please contact me. [email protected]
What do you think Ford should do for you that they are not doing?

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

This happened before and they had the bronco back on the road in a week or two. I remember because I was shocked at the turn around time. Would you rather wait 4 weeks or get back in line for a new bronco?

Sponsored

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4 cylinder or 6?
Sorry man.
Has Ford covered everything? Any out of pocket expense?
Seems like something catastrophic like this should mean a buy back and free skip the line pass. Not sure when that would expire though. 500miles, 1,000 2,000? A month a year?

eesh

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Where are theses engines being built?

OP
OP
estone28

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This happened before and they had the bronco back on the road in a week or two. I remember because I was shocked at the turn around time. Would you rather wait 4 weeks or get back in line for a new bronco?
Really appreciate your post. Gives me some hope. Obviously if its just a week or two, I want to wait and get it repaired.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
His tag says Wild Trak, so it is the 2.7. Man how I wish they optioned a nice small block non turbo V8.

StrictlyBroncos

Badlands
First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco (Badlands)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP - did you notice any symptoms prior to this happening? Sorry this happened to you. I'm sitting at a little over 1,000 miles with my 2.7, no issues so far.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're lucky you got a rental. Most the other people with failures got shafted on that even. Get your engine build date if possible so we can compare it to the others as a data point.

Engine Code Information Label

The engine code information label, located on the rear of the vacuum pump and on the LH valve cover, contains the following:

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

ItemDescription
1Engine plant
2Drive type
3Vehicle line
4Engine displacement
5Engine part number
6Engine build date YYDDD (DDD=Julian Date [001-365])
Sponsored