Sponsored

FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost

AceGoliath

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX SAS , 22 Maverick XLT, 10 Fusion SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Build date was 9/6.
Built on Labor Day - trade it in now.

Sorry I had to. I hope they get it figured out for you quickly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
estone28

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OP - did you notice any symptoms prior to this happening? Sorry this happened to you. I'm sitting at a little over 1,000 miles with my 2.7, no issues so far.
I really didn't notice anything. Ran great, til it didn't.

feeble

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1977 Cobra II Monroe Handler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
estone28

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why in the world do you think they should buyback and give you a new one? The warranty clearly states they will fix it if anything happens. period. Unless it spends a certain length of time in the shop before they repair it to qualify for lemon law they are doing exactly as they should.

Level of service the situation demands? Again sounds like they are doing exactly what they should.
Ok bud. I understand the warranty and all. Put yourself in my shoes. Do I really want a bronco that had an engine swap at 1000mi? Not ideal. Further, I have no idea how long getting it back is going to be? Suppose I am sitting here in the same spot in 2, 3 or 4 months.

I don't need you to tell me what the warranty does and blah blah blah. I'm frustrated. Seems fair right?

Sponsored

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On a basic level - Call me up. Check-in. A little -reassurance. Some info on the timeline of getting it repaired. Discuss options for solution.

At a more extensive level, Discuss other options - offer to replace it. Allow me to cut the production line if we went that route. send me a new one. (I don't expect this - but I don't think its unreasonable either).
I get that you are upset about the eng failure. I would be too, but those are not realistic expectations at this point. Ford over marketed this vehicle in a way that made us all feel greater ownership in the process than we are due. They build the truck, we buy the truck and they honor the warranty. The dealer is our primary POC and from how it sounds, you are being taken care of. The fact that you got a rental free of cost is huge. That is equivalent to $500-$1000 per week. And send it back? Who then covers the taxes and license fees on the old one? I think a brand new engine and turbos is fair. Since they are gonna have the block pulled, now is the time for any upgrades you may or may not have planned in the engine bay. Sad story, but keep your head up. Even if it takes a month you will still have a fully functional Bronco 6-12 months before 90%+ of us. Stay strong and keep us updated!👍🏾

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ok bud. I understand the warranty and all. Put yourself in my shoes. Do I really want a bronco that had an engine swap at 1000mi? Not ideal. Further, I have no idea how long getting it back is going to be? Suppose I am sitting here in the same spot in 2, 3 or 4 months.

I don't need you to tell me what the warranty does and blah blah blah. I'm frustrated. Seems fair right?
Understand the frustration. I would be livid. But the reality of the situation is they will swap the engine like the rest. That’s it.

BBoyM3

Raptor
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Corolla LE
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I get that you are upset about the eng failure. I would be too, but those are not realistic expectations at this point. Ford over marketed this vehicle in a way that made us all feel greater ownership in the process than we are due. They build the truck, we buy the truck and they honor the warranty. The dealer is our primary POC and from how it sounds, you are being taken care of. The fact that you got a rental free of cost is huge. That is equivalent to $500-$1000 per week. And send it back? Who then covers the taxes and license fees on the old one? I think a brand new engine and turbos is fair. Since they are gonna have the block pulled, now is the time for any upgrades you may or may not have planned in the engine bay. Sad story, but keep your head up. Even if it takes a month you will still have a fully functional Bronco 6-12 months before 90%+ of us. Stay strong and keep us updated!👍🏾
Based on the 5-10 other threads where a catastrophic engine failure occured, Ford's protocol seems to be engine replacement. It will be interesting to see if this holds true in this instance.

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

6 cyl.
No real out of pocket. They are covering the rental.
I think a buy-back and a skip the line is 100% warranted too ... but I've not found anyone senior enough at Ford that can either make that happen or give me any assurance that its feasible.
Sorry, back of the line you go! Just kidding :ROFLMAO: Good luck sorting it all out.

CZYHORSVA

Black Diamond
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68,96 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There was a bad batch of valves in early summer. There has been many of these 2.7s drop a valve, and there will be many more.
You're going to be fine.This problem is under a microscope on this forum but 2.7’s are generally real solid engines. The angst is a little silly on the message boards. I feel for the OP but Ford will take care of him. I work in the business, and parts nor decisions pertaining to them is easy right now.

Sponsored

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

I get it, I had the same issue with My Yukon. Blown motor in the first 2000 miles. I wish manufacturers did buy backs for that sort of thing, but it's unfortunately just not how that works.

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Same shoes as you. Mine dropped a valve at 2400 miles. I got ahold of Ford to start the buyback process, *only because my vehicle has been sitting at the dealership inoperable since 09/10/2021.* Look into your state’s lemon law. I’m in Michigan and one of the clauses states vehicle is a lemon when out of service for 30 days or more.
You might be waiting on a new engine for awhile (mine took 4 weeks to get to dealer and now they’re waiting on an additional back ordered part).

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on the 5-10 other threads where a catastrophic engine failure occured, Ford's protocol seems to be engine fullreplacement. It will be interesting to see if this holds true in this instance.
Agree! My money is on engine replacement. Easier to grab a spare engine and turbos off the shelf than to build an entire Bronco. No excess inventory for the truck so they would have to delay someone else to do a full vehicle replacement and that only further disrupts deliveries. New engine, new turbos and be done with it ... NEXT! lol

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You're going to be fine.This problem is under a microscope on this forum but 2.7’s are generally real solid engines. The angst is a little silly on the message boards. I feel for the OP but Ford will take care of him. I work in the business, and parts nor decisions pertaining to them is easy right now.
Never said I wouldn’t be fine? You fail to realize the scope of this problem. There is going to be a large number of blown 2.7s in the Bronco, due to a bad batch of parts. This doesn’t take away the fact the 2.7 is historically a rock solid engine. There is a problem with a certain batch, and my understanding is Ford had or has been blowing them up on the dyno trying to understand how widespread this is themselves.
Sponsored