Sponsored

FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having worked in manufacturing for 20+ years, assemblies, like an engine, tend to fail fairly immediately or they live pretty near their designed lives before giving up the ghost. Sucks that you got one that 86'd itself early.
Sponsored

Bronco615

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet Sonic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First, let me say that I absolutely loved my Bronco while I had it. Drove great. Looked awesome, bigger in person, than it looks in pictures. I hope to get it back at some point - or another one, depending. I am super disappointed - and the information and communication from Ford has been 'ok' but not great.

So here's what happened...
Last Thursday, I am driving from Greensboro, NC down to the SC coast - Pawley's Island area. I am on a 2-lane road near Gresham, SC and the engine cuts out - I am coasting, now power. I get it pulled over. I'm thinking it is a computer glitch issue, maybe somehow I get it stopped, cycle the power and I will be good to go. I've got warning lights all over the place - engine, battery, auto-off etc. etc. It won't re-start. Plenty of auxiliary power for radio, lights etc. Starter is working fine, but won't re-fire.

I call Ford roadside and they tow it to Conway Ford in Conway, SC. On Friday afternoon, the service advisor at Conway calls with the bad news. They dropped the oil pan and found a bunch of metal in the oil. THE ENGINE AND TURBOS NEED TO BE COMPLETELY REPLACED. Pretty crushing - to wait 16months for a vehicle and have that happen in the first 1000mi.

Given the parts situation - Conway has not been able to give me a repair timeline yet. I am awaiting that information - before I decide if I want Ford to buy it back and send me a new one - which is what I think they should've offered to do from the jump.

Ford Customer service has put me in a rental for the time being.
I don't feel like I am getting the level of service that a failure of this sort should demand - but everyone has been friendly and at least somewhat helpful.

If someone in Ford Production or Ford Engine Plant reads this and wants to help - please contact me. [email protected]
So the saying found on road dead is true?

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have a brand new bronco, and they replace the engine with a brand new engine, what’s the problem? If they said they would repair engine, I would be worried. I am not a mechanic hence why asking here.
Replacing an engine in a completed vehicle is not the same as having it assembled at the right point on an assembly line.

The chances of everything being disassembled correctly to remove the faulty engine and being reassembled around the new one, with every clamp and connection and fastener being torqued exactly right… well… it’s unlikely. The chances of something else getting screwed up are certainly real.

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Replacing an engine in a completed vehicle is not the same as having it assembled at the right point on an assembly line.

The chances of everything being disassembled correctly to remove the faulty engine and being reassembled around the new one, with every clamp and connection and fastener being torqued exactly right… well… it’s unlikely. The chances of something else getting screwed up are certainly real.
I don't agree with this. Yes it is invasive, but engines are replaced in vehicles and they go on to have long and reliable futures. Yes there is a chance that something can go wrong, but the risk is not as astronomical as folks make it out to be.

My brother had the engine in his car at 5k and had no issues for the last 90k. I know a few others that had similar results.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
it appears the engine was built on 7/28.
Fuck. What was the serial number?

BTW, we definitely have known bad motors made on 9 June 2021 and 28 July 2021.

Chances are that the first immolated motor was built earlier than that. However, I would be really concerned if my 2.7 was built between those two dates (and mine was). This situation is not going to get better.

Last edited:

feeble

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1977 Cobra II Monroe Handler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Given the topic of conversation, I don’t know that I would put a huge amount of faith in something ONLY because it was factory assembled. Yes, likely a part issue and not an assembly issue but I think stilll a valid argument. Also… some people prefer refurbished because of the extra attention and testing given before putting it back into service.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

6 cyl.
No real out of pocket. They are covering the rental.
I think a buy-back and a skip the line is 100% warranted too ... but I've not found anyone senior enough at Ford that can either make that happen or give me any assurance that its feasible.
unless your truck burst into flames and almost killed you there is no way ford will buy it back and move you up to the front of the line. It’s unfortunate you had an engine failure but that can and does happen in mass production of anything. Your issue is exactly what warranty covers. Not sure why people think they are owed anything more. They gave you a rental, are working diligently to fix your ride. I guess why we are at it they should probably just give you the truck for your trouble……..

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another one bites the dust. :(

Sponsored

Thurmy7

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban, Tacoma, Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got a 2.7 Badlands that just passed 1,500 miles. I was out in the dirt last weekend going fairly fast through some bouncy rough trails and hills for hours, when all of the sudden I lost most if not all engine power just before I crested a hill. I barely made it to the top and coasted to the side to get off the trail. There were a handful of warning lights that came on but I can't recall which ones... stability/traction control, ABS, front parking sensor, were a few I remember. I turned off the engine and shut everything down for about 15-20 seconds and started it back up and most of the same warning lights were still on, but I was able to get some power so I drove a bit further in the dirt. After about a mile further and the engine seeming like it was running fine, all the warning lights went off and I never had another issue afterwards. I thought maybe a rock or something hit one of the sensors or maybe just dirt/dust build up, but who knows. I was planning to take it into the dealership after I got back home for an early break-in oil change and have them check everything over, but now after seeing this post and hearing about metal shavings in the oil causing a complete failure I'm prioritizing that trip to the dealership and taking it in tomorrow. I drove another few hundred miles after the power issue occurred without any further incident, but with all these electronics and sensors and crap you just never know what might be going on.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For the Mexico vs Cleveland debate. I seem to this same discussion with Ranger 2.3s.

If I remember right the majority of engine parts are made in Mexico and assembled in Cleveland. That's why the sticker posted earlier mentions "parts content" but also says that it doesn't include final assembly.

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Fuck. What was the serial number?

BTW, we definitely have known bad motors made on 9 June 2021 and 28 July 2021.

Chances are that the first immolated motor was built earlier than that. However, I would be really concerned if my 2.7 was built between those two dates (and mine was). This situation is not going to get better.
Motor build on June 10. Bronco still on Dirt Mountain. I think we know why now…

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bronco still on Dirt Mountain. I think we know why now…
While it sucks to twist in the wind, if Ford actually HAS sufficient info to identify suspect valves, that's prolly a good thing. My engine build is 6/28, released from DM 9/28. So you're not driving yours yet, but I'm driving mine with MUCH trepidation.
Sponsored