Sponsored

Motor Trend says Bronco has "poor build quality". Fact or Bias?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

“Poor quality” is relative. Coming from an 18 year old economy car. The build quality and material is good for me.
While this is true and the quality will also be better than what I'm used to, the Bronco still must be judged vs it's current peers.

OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
As others have stated, it depends which aspect of the vehicle you're focusing on. My biggest issues with the vehicle are minor/cosmetic QC issues. They have thus far not impacted functionality, so there's still an opportunity for this Bronco to rank in my most solid, reliable vehicles I've owned if it continues to perform well.

That being said, there are certainly a fair number of quality issues. My front 2 doors don't line up quite right, all 4 doors "catch" the weatherstripping to different degrees when opened at a normal speed, the front passenger window rattles like hell in the wind when left partially down at speed. My front and rear bumpers are ever so slightly misaligned (1/2 to 1cm lower on the driver side than the passenger side of the vehicle), some sort of loud metal rattle/pinging is coming from within the tailgate itself when I go over certain bumps/undulations in the road, and obviously all of the MIC v1 issues including the popping/rattling, snakeskin texture, liner that sheds sharp particles.

But, it "feels" solid as hell when I drive it, and like I said, if it does its job reliably I'll be happy since I'm sure I can address the above issues over time. My JLU on the other hand, maybe cosmetically looked better and had better QC. But it drove worse and had serious repetitive functional issues, rendering it "unreliable" by my judgement.
It seems to me many of the issues presented here are related to the modular nature of the vehicle and other design elements that make the Bronco a Bronco. It could have a fixed top and doors and window frames, but then it would be just another crossover, right? I've been in enough Jeeps to know they have plenty of rattles, and I prefer the Bronco interior hard plastic and all.

Kniven3

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The latest SUV of the year issue of Motor Trend says the Bronco has "poor build quality". After carefully shaking down a 4dr Big Bend in my garage during a test drive, this reeks of bias in my opinion. Sure, there is the MIC roof issue, but the overall build quality is excellent and remember this is a modular vehicle most body panels are designed to be easily removable. Slapping it with poor build quality is laughable. I think MT is desperately trying to justify their choice of Land Rover for SUV of the Year. It may be a great SUV, but it’s a unibody crossover with low profile tires like all the rest, hardly an off-road machine. Obviously, MT is passing up the most exciting new vehicle launch in decades for a niche market crossover with little fanfare.
Mine was shipped last week. YAY! I now have second thoughts after seeing all the problems. I need to make up my mind fast.

OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
While this is true and the quality will also be better than what I'm used to, the Bronco still must be judged vs it's current peers.
That is certainly not a luxury unibody crossover with fixed roof and doors. Jeep is a valid peer.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a 2013 Focus ST (first year of that new car) and it had minor issues similar to what I have read about here. With constructive support from knowledgeable people on the ST forums, all were resolved with Ford and under warranty. When the niggles were fixed, that ST became and remains my favourite car and I’m regretting selling it.

I expect my Badlands will need adjustments and tweaks but it will be a solid utility and all the bitching and complaining coming out will diminish once more people get their Broncos and start to enjoy them.

My 0.02

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would say all cars built since covid are going to be of poorer quality. From supply chain issues to manpower shortages on the assembly line. It has all been worse since then.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Based on some posts here, wrong rear seats, test equipment shipped with vehicle, scroll down to the weld thread... I think QA is strongly lacking on the Bronco and it's fair to say the build quality is questionable. There were also a few design decisions that are simply bad, shocks lower is a perfect example.

I think the MT Rubicon vs FE article is pretty bad but I also think the Bronco isn't above criticism.

Edit *
We also argued for weeks about the quality of the dash.
Unfortunately there is no benchmarking associated with the various criticisms on B6G. This roll out could be among the best, the worst or somewhere in between. Without a comprehensive, detailed and empirical comparison, there is absolutely no authoritative basis of judgement for the 2021 bronco vs other vehicles regarding overall quality.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So far, yes. Just look around in here.

Ford has a lot of improving to do.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is certainly not a luxury unibody crossover with fixed roof and doors. Jeep is a valid peer.
Agreed. The upwards of $100k people are paying isn't helping though, people think it should be luxurious for that price instead of accepting that it's a Ford Wrangler.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mean, it IS a Ford after all, they've been pumping out mediocre dog diarrhea for the better part of 110 years, with the occasional glint of genius, careening between near disaster to the next. Also, consider the competition and all the absolute excrement they have been complacency pumping out that is basically a tub, frame and windshield when most owners get done with making them right. Everyone else can't be bothered or is off chasing wishes, farts and government tax credits on hopes and dreams until the electricity fairy decides she's not generating this week...

Last edited: