First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t really care… do what you want to… I’ll do what I want to… simple… :)
I understand that...I am just hoping to get feedback from others who are experiencing similar concerns and ideally some kind of concrete answer that eventually clears things up. The reality of forums is that everyone has an opinion, right? Wishing all fellow Bronco owners malfunction-free 2.7s!
Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I understand that...I am just hoping to get feedback from others who are experiencing similar concerns and ideally some kind of concrete answer that eventually clears things up. The reality of forums is that everyone has an opinion, right? Wishing all fellow Bronco owners malfunction-free 2.7s!
Don’t forget… the only time it has 7 quarts in the pan is when it is not running… good thing people can’t check the oil when it is running…. Or they would be adding oil all the time… :)

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My 2 cents, It makes sense to me to use the dipstick reading vs just adding 7 quarts. The dipstick is designed to show the level of where your oil is suppose to be.

Until Ford puts out a bulletin that there is a dipstick or oil pan problem, if your engine only takes 6 quarts to show full on the dipstick, you should assume there is a quart hung up in the engine somewhere.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2 cents, It makes sense to me to use the dipstick reading vs just adding 7 quarts. The dipstick is designed to show the level of where your oil is suppose to be.

Until Ford puts out a bulletin that there is a dipstick or oil pan problem, if your engine only takes 6 quarts to show full on the dipstick, you should assume there is a quart hung up in the engine somewhere.
Or that Ford used an oil pan off a Ranger or F150 while trying to keep up with early production...the Bronco is supposed to use a different part number (MB3E6675BE) but I couldn't find a stamping when I changed my oil to confirm. If a quart of oil is "hung up" in the engine, there are bigger issues.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t forget… the only time it has 7 quarts in the pan is when it is not running… good thing people can’t check the oil when it is running…. Or they would be adding oil all the time… :)
Noted...but even after sitting all night, when I first took delivery, that 7 quarts in the pan showed 1/2 inch above the max mark on the dipstick. I was told the factory often overfills (told by a Ford shop foreman), even even after I did my first oil change per Ford's specific instructions (attached), even 6 quarts out the dipstick at max full. Point being, again, that the dipstick is inaccurate, OR that my 2.7 has the wrong pan. Either way, it should not take a rocket scientist to design an accurate dipstick.
Screenshot_20211102-201638_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Noted...but even after sitting all night, when I first took delivery, that 7 quarts in the pan showed 1/2 inch above the max mark on the dipstick. I was told the factory often overfills (told by a Ford shop foreman), even even after I did my first oil change per Ford's specific instructions (attached), even 6 quarts out the dipstick at max full. Point being, again, that the dipstick is inaccurate, OR that my 2.7 has the wrong pan. Either way, it should not take a rocket scientist to design an accurate dipstick.
Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Change: Took 6 Quarts Not 7 Screenshot_20211102-201638_Acrobat for Samsun
Ok... lets say the dip stick is wrong.... you going to do what the manual say.... 7 quarts or not... I'll cover my butt for warranty.... manual says 7.... I put in 7 and not what the dip stick says ... I'm covered by warranty.... and if the amount was that big of deal... Ford would say.... only let a Ford tec change oil...

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Or that Ford used an oil pan off a Ranger or F150 while trying to keep up with early production...the Bronco is supposed to use a different part number (MB3E6675BE) but I couldn't find a stamping when I changed my oil to confirm. If a quart of oil is "hung up" in the engine, there are bigger issues.
I agree a quart should not be hung up / lingering. and after reading comments in this thread about nooks & passages etc... with this engine design, along with allowing time to drain, I am thinking it is possible for oil to be lingering (not hung up as in won't flow).

In the possible scenario / concern you mention above with the wrong pan, I would recommend simply going back to the dealer and having them put the vehicle up on the lift and verify the pan & dipstick with Ford.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree a quart should not be hung up / lingering. and after reading comments in this thread about nooks & passages etc... with this engine design, along with allowing time to drain, I am thinking it is possible for oil to be lingering (not hung up as in won't flow).

In the possible scenario / concern you mention above with the wrong pan, I would recommend simply going back to the dealer and having them put the vehicle up on the lift and verify the pan & dipstick with Ford.
I have the part number for the correct pan, and the part number for the dipstick I have...but the dealer won't be able to verify if the pan on my 2.7 is the correct pan unless they are able to get a part number someplace (and even though I am a mechanic, and would be doing the exact same thing they would be doing, I can't find an external part number). For that reason, I was hoping someone in this forum whose oil change at 7 quarts whose dipstick reads between the a and B on their dipstick (as it should) would kindly share their dipstick part number and ideally a picture of their oil pan. Currently, there are no pics associated with the part number anywhere on the web I can find...but the Bronco absolutely calls for a different part and engineering number than the other 2.7 pans. BTW, simply trusting just any mechanic at a dealership does not always go well...we have a 4runner with free 25000 mile oil changes and tire rotations...and thought "why not just have the dealer do it," and they not only stripped several of the skid plate bolts but also left a cover off (had to go back to have them return/install it) and they scratched up all 4 wheels by not using a coated socket. I will skip the freebies and do my own work.

As for adding 7 quarts without it matching the dipstick, how will those of us with inaccurate dipstick explain any potential issues (hopefully we won't ever have any) when the dealer asks why the stick reads so high (especially when the service manual/owners manual/etc. ALL indicate that if the oil level is above the max mark it needs to be taken to the dealer to have some oil removed?

Mr.Black

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I believe the Bronco oil drain plug is on the side of the oil pan and the F150 is on the back from the videos I have watched.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe the Bronco oil drain plug is on the side of the oil pan and the F150 is on the back from the videos I have watched.
I got a pic from the dealer of the Bronco pan assembly...and the correct PN for the dipstick...I will post shortly. The Ranger apparently doesn't option with a 2.7 for 2021. Is the F150 on the back only for 2WD or also for 4WD? Yet another Ford mechanic who checked my VIN said yes as the manual states it calls for 7 quarts...but he said his shop adds only 6.5 and that doing so typically puts it over the max line. He also said "they burn oil anyway so a little over the fill line will just get lower eventually" (not super confidence inspiring on a brand new car but OK). I just went with 6.5 for now and am hoping for the best.

Sponsored

Akinmx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150, 2011 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw on another thread on 6G that 6.2 quarts is the magic number to fill the Bronco's 2.7? I dunno.... I'm still waiting on my Bronco.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I saw on another thread on 6G that 6.2 quarts is the magic number to fill the Bronco's 2.7? I dunno.... I'm still waiting on my Bronco.
Here is a pic of the part number on my 2.7 dipstick:
20211103_214748.jpg

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is a pic of the part number on my 2.7 dipstick:
20211103_214748.jpg
The dealer told me the correct PN for my VIN is MB3Z-6750-B. They numbers obviously don't match, but the one on the stick might be the engineering number (versus the part number). I will try to sort that out tomorrow. Here is a pic of the pan that my VIN calls for:
20211103_215916.jpg

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The dealer told me the correct PN for my VIN is MB3Z-6750-B. They numbers obviously don't match, but the one on the stick might be the engineering number (versus the part number). I will try to sort that out tomorrow. Here is a pic of the pan that my VIN calls for:
20211103_215916.jpg
Note that there are no secret baffles or any other unexpected things in the pan. Also note that the parts system pulled pics from a 2020 diagram, yet our pans were supposed to be "designed for 7 quarts" as a new thing for 2021...but if so why is there a pic from 2020, before current gen Broncos existed? Hmmm...
Sponsored