Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don't need them on the rears, they're filtered at the head unit. And you don't need to (and likely don't want to) filter the 6.5 kick panel speakers.
Where did you find the rears were pre filtered? I've got caps on all 6 and keep getting VHR history codes for speakers. Wondered if this is the cause but curious about where you saw this info.
Sponsored

mclaffer

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla model 3 and Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I finished upgrading the speakers in my Big Bend this past weekend and wanted to give those interested some information that may help--

My Big Bend came equipped with the standard 6-Speaker system and I simply wanted to upgrade the speakers to give the stereo a little better sound. I previously owned a 2017 Jeep JK Sahara that I used some Kicker speakers so I decided to go the same route as I liked the sound from the Kickers.

I got 2 pairs of 4in (46CSC44) and 1 pair of 6.5in (46CSC654) Kicker CS speakers. From my previous install on the Jeep, I learned that using speaker baffles was a good idea so I also purchased Boom Mat speaker baffles. For the 4in speakers, I used some Posi-Twist connectors and added a pair of 300Hz Bass Blockers for the front only.

For the 6.5in I used the Metra 82-5605 Mounting Brackets as well as the Metra 72-5602 Wiring Harness.

The speaker installation was straightforward the most time-consuming part is taking apart all the plastic trim which I am so glad some on the forum had already submitted so I was ready with all the appropriate trim removal tools and knowledge.

I have included the documentation I used to remove the trim panels and wiring diagram and well as photos of the install and of the products I used.

I hope this information will be useful for some.

EDIT:
I am adding some pigtail connector diagrams that were submitted by another user on the forum (credit to FLIP). The diagrams will show color wires and their polarity.

IMG_0243.JPG

Base 6 SPKR Wiring.png

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0242.JPG

DASH_LH.jpg

DASH_RH.jpg

KICK-PANEL-WIRE_LH.jpg

KICK-PANEL-WIRE_RH.jpg

REAR_LH.jpg

REAR_RH.jpg
fantastic info. THANK YOU!

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where did you find the rears were pre filtered? I've got caps on all 6 and keep getting VHR history codes for speakers. Wondered if this is the cause but curious about where you saw this info.
I think this is on the Forscan thread. Default is a processed signal to the rears but you can turn it off.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think this is on the Forscan thread. Default is a processed signal to the rears but you can turn it off.
F me. Guess I'm not spending enough time on here. 🤭 Time to pull my caps.

ETA: I wish there was a way some of this info could be condensed into specific areas for reference. I know I've give out info that I had posted here multiple times. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing it but it would make it nice to have a landing spot for all of this stuff. My brother's getting ready to have a professional system installed in the black BL. The quote was stupid but they're sending a list of everything. Will be interested to see how they go about it.

Last edited:

nminus1

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base

ETA: I wish there was a way some of this info could be condensed into specific areas for reference. I know I've give out info that I had posted here multiple times. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing it but it would make it nice to have a landing spot for all of this stuff. My brother's getting ready to have a professional system installed in the black BL. The quote was stupid but they're sending a list of everything. Will be interested to see how they go about it.
Make sure to share please!

Sponsored

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wish there was a way some of this info could be condensed into specific areas for reference.
I do think we need an audio sticky/wiki-type reference post. I've got my Bronco, I haven't upgraded anything yet, but I've been going through all the threads and it's difficult to figure everything out. And then I worry about missing that one piece of critical information.

OP
OP
BroncRik

BroncRik

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Agreed. Before I started this upgrade I scoured the posts here and tried to compile as much information as I could. Thank you so much for posting the manuals for panel removal. They saved me so much time. They were a real lifesaver. In order to help others, I thought it would be helpful to include all that info in my post. As I find more I will try to include it here.

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks BroncRik for putting this together. I replicated your setup and installed it today. Fairly easy and straightforward.

I have a couple of thoughts on the entire 6 speaker upgrade with stock head unit. In all honesty the new setup is an improvement, but still falls short when compared to decently mid-high end factory setups in other manufacturers. I didn't buy the Bronco for the sound system so it doesn't really bother me a ton, but even with the upgraded speakers it still isn't great.

IMO if you are going to stick with the stock head unit, the only speakers worth upgrading are the front 4". Those make the biggest difference. With the upgrade they are a lot more clear, and allow you to turn the volume up an extra 5-6 notches vs stock. You can't really expect to get much bass out of a 4" speaker. The rears behind the back seat are absolutely worthless. Sound barely trickles out of these speakers. Same goes with the kick panel speaker. You aren't getting much out of either of those.

Basically if you do this upgrade or an upgrade like it, you will be able to crank the volume a bit higher and not have as much distortion. The main thing you will notice is the highs will be a bit brighter and clearer. The bass will still be pretty pitiful along with the mids having just moderate improvement.

Overall, I kind of wish I had just bought the front 4" and not changed anything else out. I think it would sound 90% as good by doing just those. Also it's a pretty big PITA to not have the quick connects available on them yet. Crutchfield needs to figure those out.

The little bass foam cups are a nice touch, I think they make a difference. Nice suggestion on those.

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Awesome write up. Quick question, would all the parts be the same for the big bend 2 door? Also if I order everything you did, minus the speakers, can I just order another brand it it will still install the same? Thinking of maybe audio froG.

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks BroncRik for putting this together. I replicated your setup and installed it today. Fairly easy and straightforward.

I have a couple of thoughts on the entire 6 speaker upgrade with stock head unit. In all honesty the new setup is an improvement, but still falls short when compared to decently mid-high end factory setups in other manufacturers. I didn't buy the Bronco for the sound system so it doesn't really bother me a ton, but even with the upgraded speakers it still isn't great.

IMO if you are going to stick with the stock head unit, the only speakers worth upgrading are the front 4". Those make the biggest difference. With the upgrade they are a lot more clear, and allow you to turn the volume up an extra 5-6 notches vs stock. You can't really expect to get much bass out of a 4" speaker. The rears behind the back seat are absolutely worthless. Sound barely trickles out of these speakers. Same goes with the kick panel speaker. You aren't getting much out of either of those.

Basically if you do this upgrade or an upgrade like it, you will be able to crank the volume a bit higher and not have as much distortion. The main thing you will notice is the highs will be a bit brighter and clearer. The bass will still be pretty pitiful along with the mids having just moderate improvement.

Overall, I kind of wish I had just bought the front 4" and not changed anything else out. I think it would sound 90% as good by doing just those. Also it's a pretty big PITA to not have the quick connects available on them yet. Crutchfield needs to figure those out.

The little bass foam cups are a nice touch, I think they make a difference. Nice suggestion on those.

So in your opinion to get anything out of this system does it need amps and DSP to get more out of the kick panel and rear speakers?

Sponsored

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The system needs a sub powered by an amp. Something like an 8 or 10”W3 that can handle pretty much all the mid and lows. The stock system has zero punch. Swapping the 4” speakers in the dash running off the stock head unit is fine but no guts at all still.

The rears are practically turned off. Front 4” speakers with a small sub and amp would give 99% of the masses what they are looking for.

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I finished upgrading the speakers in my Big Bend this past weekend and wanted to give those interested some information that may help--

My Big Bend came equipped with the standard 6-Speaker system and I simply wanted to upgrade the speakers to give the stereo a little better sound. I previously owned a 2017 Jeep JK Sahara that I used some Kicker speakers so I decided to go the same route as I liked the sound from the Kickers.

I got 2 pairs of 4in (46CSC44) and 1 pair of 6.5in (46CSC654) Kicker CS speakers. From my previous install on the Jeep, I learned that using speaker baffles was a good idea so I also purchased Boom Mat speaker baffles. For the 4in speakers, I used some Posi-Twist connectors and added a pair of 300Hz Bass Blockers for the front only.

For the 6.5in I used the Metra 82-5605 Mounting Brackets as well as the Metra 72-5602 Wiring Harness.

The speaker installation was straightforward the most time-consuming part is taking apart all the plastic trim which I am so glad some on the forum had already submitted so I was ready with all the appropriate trim removal tools and knowledge.

I have included the documentation I used to remove the trim panels and wiring diagram and well as photos of the install and of the products I used.

I hope this information will be useful for some.

EDIT:
I am adding some pigtail connector diagrams that were submitted by another user on the forum (credit to FLIP). The diagrams will show color wires and their polarity.

IMG_0243.JPG

Base 6 SPKR Wiring.png

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0242.JPG

DASH_LH.jpg

DASH_RH.jpg

KICK-PANEL-WIRE_LH.jpg

KICK-PANEL-WIRE_RH.jpg

REAR_LH.jpg

REAR_RH.jpg
This may be a stupid question, but here goes. Should I assume the removal of the passenger side kick panel is basically the same as the driver's side? I noticed the diagram instructions didn't show removing the grab handle nor the cowl side trim panel to help gain access to the kick panel. I'm a rookie here so be gentle. Thank you.

Cobra31

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Really great write up OP, thank you!

I'm a noob when it comes to car audio, so apologies if this is a stupid question. How did you end up connecting the new dash/rear speakers to the factory connections? Do I need to buy speaker wires (if so, what would be recommended)? With out a plug-and-play Metra harness connections, I'm a little stuck.

Thanks!

Changman927

Big Bend
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
so you removed the factory wire harness going to the 4 inch speakers and used the connectors on that? Sorry if it's silly but I haven't messed with car audio and I know there isn't a plug a play adapter for the 4 inch yet to my knowledge.
I have the same question (followin)

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do we really need to remove all of the trim pieces to get at the 6.5” speakers? I think the Pickens Party of 5 video showed him just removing the speaker grille.
Sponsored