Sponsored

To Throw Stones Or Not To Throw Stones, SAS Is The Question -- Mickey Thompson Baja Boss vs Toyo Open Country tires

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

See what I did there ^^^^^. In all seriousness, I have read many people on the forum mention that their SAS 35"s are throwing a lot of stones and some resulting in paint chips. I had an '07JK for many years and had some beefy Toyo MT's on it and I just don't remember the stone situation being an issue. Now maybe it is just because my memory is short or the other reason could be a tread difference. For those of you that have experience with other tires, I am thinking mainly either the Toyo MT's or Micki Thompsons, both in a similar size to the SAS 35's. Do you know if either of these would be better or worse?
  • Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T 315/70R17
  • Toyo Open Country M/T 315/70R17
Do you think either of the above two would have the same results or do you think that one or both might have a tread spacing different such that they might not throw as much? One thing I know I don't want/won't do is put mud flaps on, I just don't care for them, but I am certainly willing to swap out tires if people think it would make much of a difference. Otherwise I live with paint chips.

I appreciate any feedback and help
Thanks
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

See what I did there ^^^^^. In all seriousness, I have read many people on the forum mention that their SAS 35"s are throwing a lot of stones and some resulting in paint chips. I had an '07JK for many years and had some beefy Toyo MT's on it and I just don't remember the stone situation being an issue. Now maybe it is just because my memory is short or the other reason could be a tread difference. For those of you that have experience with other tires, I am thinking mainly either the Toyo MT's or Micki Thompsons, both in a similar size to the SAS 35's. Do you know if either of these would be better or worse?
  • Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T 315/70R17
  • Toyo Open Country M/T 315/70R17
Do you think either of the above two would have the same results or do you think that one or both might have a tread spacing different such that they might not throw as much? One thing I know I don't want/won't do is put mud flaps on, I just don't care for them, but I am certainly willing to swap out tires if people think it would make much of a difference. Otherwise I live with paint chips.

I appreciate any feedback and help
Thanks
I think it absolutely has to do with the tread spacing/pattern of the GY tires.
I have MT Deegan 38's on my Jeep, and they throw gravel at times but not horribly.

I've ran Wildpeak M/T, GY MTR's, BFG MT, Pro Comp M/T. Never had an issue with the tires with the larger voids between tread lugs. The GY MTR's are possibly the worst off-road tire I've ever had. And I'll probably sell my stock GY Sas tires an get the Baja Boss's just due to the fact I have never had great luck with any GY tires.
The Falkens and the BFG's are great 50k mile tires that do get loud if you don't keep them rotated (as does any aggressive tread tire). Pro Comps were a softer compound, so they wore faster. But off-road grip was outstanding.

I like the look of both of those you suggested, personally like the Baja Boss the best. Never ran them (yet), but I like the design, the reviews are all good, and the price is comparable.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was 100% SAS until I watched the BL suspension video placed on this site. When it was demonstrated the SAS tire size reduces the range of motion in the wheel well, I realized the standard 33‘s would be the way to go for me. I love the SAS look, but on the BL, the standard tires also look fantastic.

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ha ha. This is a thing. I have a non-sas badlands and the KO2s throw a lot of stones too. I am guessing any tire with a deep lug is going to pick up and throw stones.

I can't say for the two tires you asked about. But I have Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XSs waiting for wheels and all of the reviews I read on these say they throw stones the size of your fist. I don't care.

If you want really good off-road tires and you don't want to cover up with flares and mud flaps, you are gonna get some flinging at speed.

20211025_161753.jpg

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I convinced my dealer to buy the $900 mudflaps using the customer satisfaction program 😉

Sponsored

Greens05

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, BMW 335xi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep tread pattern is definetly and reason/issue. The tread spacing is wider than most AT but more narrower than a typical Mud terrain. Wider tread space on most MTs won't collect the rocks like the ones be caught in the Goodyears. I haven't gotten any paint damage but constantly an finding small stones stuck in the tread.

Additionally the fender coverage is not great when turning on the SAS or any Bronco really. If you watch the offroad videos or even just one that drove through wet roads you will see the spray from the tires down the side of the vehicle.

Other than that the Goodyears have performed well for me thus far both on road and a day offroad in the rocks.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the 33" KO2's and they are rock chucker's for sure. Depends on where you are, the size of the rocks and tread pattern. Manufacturers have upgraded the tread to include rock "ejectors" that seem to help, but I think it is somewhat dependent on outside variables. I really liked the GY tires on the rocks at Off Roadeo, they also seemed to do really well in the mud/clay last week when we had 6 Broncos together with KO2s, GY and Bridgestone OEM tires all represented. Longevity remains in question, but they are just so much lighter than most of the other "35inch" tires that I would at least give then a try where you are. Un-sprung weight is the enemy of all ride/handling/suspension set ups :)

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Off road is one thing as the GY and many other tires will catch and throw stones as other have said. But my read from the people posting about the GY Territory’ throwing stones a lot’ is that those people who said that likely live on and/or drive on a gravel driveway or gravel road daily/a lot. For those of us who have a paved driveway and only would drive on gravel if we are off road likely won’t have this perception of ’the GY tires throwing stones a lot”.

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Goodyear Territories are absolutely the reason for throwing stones. I've had my Badlands Sasquatch for just over a week now and it was one of the first things I noticed. The lugs on the Territories are the perfect width apart for picking up gravel and stones.

Sponsored

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alex, the GY pattern definitely picks up stones but like @Rubisquatch stated… I work around gravel all day. A good side step or mudflaps will eliminate this. Your RSE steps might do the trick too. There is a small gap still between the fenders and those steps so that remains to be seen. Have you considered the Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I’ve only heard good things on those.

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alex, the GY pattern definitely picks up stones but like @Rubisquatch stated… I work around gravel all day. A good side step or mudflaps will eliminate this. Your RSE steps might do the trick too. There is a small gap still between the fenders and those steps so that remains to be seen. Have you considered the Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I’ve only heard good things on those.
Hey buddy, based on our recent conversations about this topic you provided me the impetus to start this thread, thank you! I am hoping the RSE help some. As far as the gap, I spoke with RSE last week and if you mean the gap between the end of the rail and the front wheel well, they have remedied that and are including a plate/attachment for that end for the Bronco. The reason the gap is there is because apparently the pinch weld has a little bend there that prevents them from extending the step all the way, at least that is what RSE said (I wouldn't know because I don't have my ride yet :)).
At the end of the day I will see how the GY's pan out at first before I run out and buy five new tires to replace five new tires. Also, I don't live on a gravel road and so ultimately it won't be an every day concern. Paint chips it is.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh, I thought this was gonna be a discussion about everyone using the term SAS for Sasquatch, when it actually means some totally different lol
🤷🏻

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The thing about rocks is they come in all different shapes and sizes. Tighter tread pattern, you pick up smaller rocks. More spaced tread pattern you'll picker larger rocks. Obviously depends on road and trail and if there are more gravel size rocks or random larger ones.

I have the Nitto Trail Grapplers on SD. Picks up and chucks rocks. I carry a flat head screw driver with me in door console to pick out. But love the tires so just the way it is. And for what it's worth, there's about 2 inches of poke, no mud flaps, and I might have one chip in two years. 🤷‍♂️

Bronco has Baja Boss AT. Great tire so far (200Mi). Just need time to get dirty and over some rocks and see what happens. I'm guessing it picks up smaller rocks.

Good luck

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was 100% SAS until I watched the BL suspension video placed on this site. When it was demonstrated the SAS tire size reduces the range of motion in the wheel well, I realized the standard 33‘s would be the way to go for me. I love the SAS look, but on the BL, the standard tires also look fantastic.
I have the Badlands with the KO2s and I love the look. Definitely rock throwers though.

Ford Bronco To Throw Stones Or Not To Throw Stones, SAS Is The Question -- Mickey Thompson Baja Boss vs Toyo Open Country tires 362AB9B6-E832-4D94-A486-A8AC5269C8A8

Ford Bronco To Throw Stones Or Not To Throw Stones, SAS Is The Question -- Mickey Thompson Baja Boss vs Toyo Open Country tires 240348CF-2409-4C2C-8C54-5769FDD1DB10
Sponsored