Sponsored

Where should the money go in audio upgrade?

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
SO hearing how bad the bronco is in the SQ dept. I am starting to think about how to go about upgrading the stock base system. I will be getting a 2 door big bend. I have been reading through all the threads I can find on speaker and amp installs. Let’s say I have $1k-1500 to spend. Where should the bulk of the money go? AMp? DSP? Front speakers? Sub?

Its sounding like the speakers that have the most impact are the top 2 in the dash. Would 2 really good speakers and a sub be a good place to start? Should I start with a solid foundation in an amp and DSP?

So far my initial thought is something along these lines.

4 x 4” Audiofrog GS42
2 x 6” Audiofrog GS62
1 or 2 8” Audiofrog GS8ND2 subs in a box build under the front seats
(2) 4 channel JL amp (1 for the 4” speakers) (1 for the other 2 and subs)
Some kind of DSP, dont know much about these.

Does that seem like a solid plan? This would actually be a bit over budget, so might just do the 2 4”first and build on from there.
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I replaced the two dash 4" speakers with Infinity Reference (as another forum member did). Huge upgrade for $60 and an hour of my time. With your budget you should be able to add an amp/sub and better speakers all around though.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO an amp and a decent line converter will make way more difference than high-end speakers.

I initially installed some crutchfield house brand speakers (Sound Ordnance 4" front/rears and 6.5" kick panels) and was mostly unimpressed with the difference they made.

After much humming and hawing and speaking with some friends who are into mobile audio I bought a kenwood 5 channel amp and an affordable (sub $100 CAD) line converter and it made SO much difference. I am super impressed with how these budget priced speakers sound (tbh I also added a rockford fosgate 12" sub, but even improved bass aside, these cheap little speakers sound awesome with an amp)

My grand total for everything was likely around $1,000 CAD (say $800 USD)

OP
OP
marjen

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So joined a car audio forum to really start digging into this and been watching videos on wrangler audio installs as they probably face similar issues as the bronco will. I am thinking of first focusing on amp and dsp. I REALLY like the idea of a single unit that has both integrated. A couple suggestions I see are the kicker Key 200.4 and the JL Audio VX400/4i. Kicker also has the key 500.1 that can power a sub. JL Audio has different flavors of the VX line from mono block to 8 channel. The JL Audio is about 4x the price of the kicker.

Another advantage of the JL is the JL Audio DRC-205. It is a controller that lets you select from 6 different preset dsp configs. SO for example could have one for roof on and one for roof off amungst other things.

Does anyone have any background or experience with either line of these Products?

Also with the front speakers, is it basically a 3 way system in 2 boxes? Mid and tweeter in the dash and mid bass in the panel?

Last edited:

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly don't even need an amp. I changed all 6 speakers to JL Audios and added a Kenwood powered downfiring sub in the back and it sounds phenomenonal now. Total cost was about $1600 CAD with professional install.

Sponsored
OP
OP
marjen

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Honestly don't even need an amp. I changed all 6 speakers to JL Audios and added a Kenwood powered downfiring sub in the back and it sounds phenomenonal now. Total cost was about $1600 CAD with professional install.
What JL Audio speakers did you use?And how did you power the sub?

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was always told to start with the amp.

Broncojy

Big Bend
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Neon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
ok I’m interested tell us more

OP
OP
marjen

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was always told to start with the amp.
yeah the advise I have been getting is starting with solid amp and dsp as they can make anything sound better.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So, i suspect there must be a difference in the Amps between the two B&O systems, are the speakers any better in the upgraded B&O system?

Sponsored

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ok I’m interested tell us more
I had my speakers all swapped out to JL Audio C1's. There's two 4 inch in the dash and two in the rear roll bar. And two 6.5" in the kicker panels by your feet. I had them all swapped out and a Kenwood pa-w801b 8 powered subwoofer installed in the cargo area. It's a powered sub so you don't require an amp as well and save space. It's sturdy so you can stack anything on it or even stand on it. The sound quality difference is absolutely amazing now. I had the speakers for about a week before I had the sub installed, and the sub really brings it all together.

Keep in mind these prices are in Canadian dollars:
4 - JL Audio C1 4" speakers - $230
2 - JL Audio C1 6.5" speakers - $180
1 - Kenwood pa-w801b subwoofer - $400
Professional Installation - $700 (I originally had the speakers installed first just to see if that was enough difference, but decided I needed a sub too. So this was two trips to the shop for installation. Would have been cheaper if I did it all at once.)

Ford Bronco Where should the money go in audio upgrade? AD012653-4906-41B0-BE3D-6F3DC8252304

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had my speakers all swapped out to JL Audio C1's. There's two 4 inch in the dash and two in the rear roll bar. And two 6.5" in the kicker panels by your feet. I had them all swapped out and a Kenwood pa-w801b 8 powered subwoofer installed in the cargo area. It's a powered sub so you don't require an amp as well and save space. It's sturdy so you can stack anything on it or even stand on it. The sound quality difference is absolutely amazing now. I had the speakers for about a week before I had the sub installed, and the sub really brings it all together.

Keep in mind these prices are in Canadian dollars:
4 - JL Audio C1 4" speakers - $230
2 - JL Audio C1 6.5" speakers - $180
1 - Kenwood pa-w801b subwoofer - $400
Professional Installation - $700 (I originally had the speakers installed first just to see if that was enough difference, but decided I needed a sub too. So this was two trips to the shop for installation. Would have been cheaper if I did it all at once.)

Ford Bronco Where should the money go in audio upgrade? AD012653-4906-41B0-BE3D-6F3DC8252304
How is the subwoofer attached to the floor?

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

See you're in YYC.

Which shop?

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
See you're in YYC.

Which shop?
Visions did my speakers and ARA Automotive did my sub. I originally just did speakers to see if that would be enough. Decided a sub was needed and went to ARA for that. If I was to do it again I'd just go straight to ARA. They did a really good job.
Sponsored