Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Check out Carvanna, they offered me $5000 more than car max , all you have to do is enter your license plate number to get an instant quote.
Carvana has been at the bottom, and often laughable, on all of the vehicles I've run through them. I put my Bronco VIN in a while back and it stumped their algorithm altogether.
Sponsored

SPS4

First Edition
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I saw where Carmax offered $93K for an FE. So the offers are out there. Depends on trim and market.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Technically, agree. And probably not capital gains because you would not have held onto the
Bronco long enough, for starters..

That said, for a private party, one off deal, the question becomes how would you attract attention?
Living in Taxachusetts, I’m sure the local tax collector would get his pound of flesh. Private sales still require sales tax based on the price listed on the Bill of Sale. The way to avoid any gains on paper and reduce the sales tax for the buyer would be to mark the bill of sale on a $60K vehicle at say $50K and have the buyer pay the difference in cash.

With my MSRP of $47085 in MA I’ll pay $2943 for 6.25% sales tax at initial purchase, $1059 in excise tax year one, $706 in year two, $471 in year three, $294 in year four, and $118 for year five and on. $5591 over 5 years. Where I lived in AZ sales tax was 9.1% or $4285 and the vehicle license tax would be $791, $662, $555, $465, $391 to an eventual minimum of $18. AZ would be $7149 over 5 years. Hard to believe that MA is cheaper on something. There is a $500 difference in registration over 5 years, but AZ is still $1000 higher. By year 10 AZ breaks even and is cheaper from there.

In MA they have a separate division of taxation to scour the marinas and harbors looking for tax cheats who register their yachts in RI rather then pay the exorbitant annual excise tax in MA. I thought it was funny when they caught John Kerry with his $7M yacht. This article explains the taxes, but he got caught with the boat in MA later.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna38378992

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just yesterday I was on car gurus and thought it was amusing that several Broncos were listed $10K over sticker and car gurus had them listed as “ great bargain” on their value scale.

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Technically, agree. And probably not capital gains because you would not have held onto the
Bronco long enough, for starters..

That said, for a private party, one off deal, the question becomes how would you attract attention?
It's a short term capital gain. A long term capital gain is if you owned what you are selling for over 3 years.

In any case, if you make a profit on your purchase, the government will also make a profit off of you.

Sponsored

OU812

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Exlporer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a short term capital gain. A long term capital gain is if you owned what you are selling for over 3 years.

In any case, if you make a profit on your purchase, the government will also make a profit off of you.
OK - so I'm geeking here - unless you're viewed as a car dealer. They buy and sell and theirs are not capital gains, but ordinary income.

OU812

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Exlporer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Living in Taxachusetts, I’m sure the local tax collector would get his pound of flesh. Private sales still require sales tax based on the price listed on the Bill of Sale. The way to avoid any gains on paper and reduce the sales tax for the buyer would be to mark the bill of sale on a $60K vehicle at say $50K and have the buyer pay the difference in cash.

With my MSRP of $47085 in MA I’ll pay $2943 for 6.25% sales tax at initial purchase, $1059 in excise tax year one, $706 in year two, $471 in year three, $294 in year four, and $118 for year five and on. $5591 over 5 years. Where I lived in AZ sales tax was 9.1% or $4285 and the vehicle license tax would be $791, $662, $555, $465, $391 to an eventual minimum of $18. AZ would be $7149 over 5 years. Hard to believe that MA is cheaper on something. There is a $500 difference in registration over 5 years, but AZ is still $1000 higher. By year 10 AZ breaks even and is cheaper from there.

In MA they have a separate division of taxation to scour the marinas and harbors looking for tax cheats who register their yachts in RI rather then pay the exorbitant annual excise tax in MA. I thought it was funny when they caught John Kerry with his $7M yacht. This article explains the taxes, but he got caught with the boat in MA later.

My state just has sales tax - at 7+% most often, but we only have vehicle plating fees annually, that are less than $50. But we have city and state income taxes.

Bradava1

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m totally confused by this thread. OP was offered 13k over sticker for his used Bronco, and the general consensus is that’s not really that good. I must be in the twilight zone. Also, the fact that he had to pay sales tax is completely irrelevant to the offer.

tbruz

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Tahoe 2-door, 1976 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd by a car every month for 62k OTD if I could sell it the next month for 69k.....I mean 84k a year in tax free income rolling 62k is "pretty good" return. rofl

Sadly mistaken if you think 12 car sales a year totaling $84K profit will be tax free( federal, state or local).
IRS will eat you alive.
Tbruz

Kcmiller

First Edition
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
One way to avoid sales tax is to lease it and then sell to a dealer. Dealers don't pay sales tax so they'd just pay it off. You can structure a lease with very low drive off, making it beneficial.

Sponsored

Missy_Fussy

Black Diamond
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You joke, but didn't the new bill just weaponize the IRS and allow them to see every transaction over $600?
who knows what was in that Bill
according to madame speaker, you have to pass bills before you read them

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I submitted mine to vroom for shits and giggles. 14k below MSRP with 1500 miles? Remind me never to use Vroom.

3C636DCA-8F30-4361-A585-54510AD53546.jpeg
After getting quotes from both vroom/carvana and carmax, I'm not sure why anyone uses vroom or carvana, you might as well trade it into the dealer. Both vroom and carvana quoted me $500 for my Tacoma (which is OLD), Carmax gave me $6500. Local sales put value around $7 maybe 8k on the really high end, but it's not worth my time and energy dealing with people vs kicking it into Carmax's lot.

For giggles I plugged in my wife's 2017 Mazda to all 3 services. Carmax out bid them again by a significant margin.

bbacon05

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should check givemethevin.com, I just used them to sell my mustang, they offered $5,000 more than Carmax, Carvana, and Vroom

Cartman3132

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

My buddy from work moved here from Colorado and I was trying to explain excise tax to him and he couldn't comprehend we had to pay taxes every year on top of the taxes we pay at time of purchase. F'n MA.

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you really want to sell it and don’t want much hassle contact givemethevin.com. At the very least they will beat your car max offer or give you $100.
Sponsored