Texas Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I hope there is an option for the pump that runs when you shut the motor off. I quit buying turbos back in the 90s. That's about when I first saw this option. I think on the Diamond Star Motors cars. Talon, Eclipse and Lasers.
Is this something to worry about?
Sponsored

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is not 1995 and Ford is not DSM.

There are plenty of Ecoboost engines running around and getting 250K miles. Turbos are very stout now. I've had a number of turbocharged vehicles over the last 15 years and it hasn't been an issue with any of them. Change you oil often. Technology has caught up.

The one issue DI engines is carbon build up. The 2.7TT has dual injection so it is less of a problem. The Ford DI engines seem to have less carbon build up than early VW DI engines.

351HO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150, 92 Ranger, 85 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is a quote from an older but possibly relevant article from Ford:

The EcoBoost engine uses passive thermal siphoning for water cooling,” Plagens explains. “During normal engine operation, the engine’s water pump cycles coolant through the center bearing. After engine shutdown renders the water pump inactive, the coolant flow reverses. Coolant heats up and flows away from the turbocharger water jacket, pulling fresh, cool coolant in behind. This highly effective coolant process is completely silent to the driver, continuing to protect the turbocharger.”

http://ophelia.sdsu.edu:8080/ford/0...pr-redhot-torture2658-new-ecoboost-29657.html

It is fairly common to let turbo engines idle for a few minutes before engine shut off to prevent the issue, but Ford seems to have an effective system in place.

Another EXTREMELY important factor is using a properly rated oil in a turbo engine.

Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is not 1995 and Ford is not DSM.

There are plenty of Ecoboost engines running around and getting 250K miles. Turbos are very stout now. I've had a number of turbocharged vehicles over the last 15 years and it hasn't been an issue with any of them. Change you oil often. Technology has caught up.

The one issue DI engines is carbon build up. The 2.7TT has dual injection so it is less of a problem. The Ford DI engines seem to have less carbon build up than early VW DI engines.
Easiest way to get rid of carbon build up on injectors / plugs is the good 'ol Italian Tune-up. Go do a couple hard pulls on to the high way and when you tip out the carbon will undergo "combustion".

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Easiest way to get rid of carbon build up on injectors / plugs is the good 'ol Italian Tune-up. Go do a couple hard pulls on to the high way and when you tip out the carbon will undergo "combustion".
Carbon builds up on valves. Port injection injects fuel before the valves and when it passes through supposed to clean them as it goes.

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh so my regular driving! Seriously though, I never heard the term Italian Tune-up before. I like it.

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah it isnt an issue on modern cars like it used to be. I've had two turbo cars in recent years and neither had any issue at all with temps/oil life.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Carbon builds up on valves. Port injection injects fuel before the valves and when it passes through supposed to clean them as it goes.
Carbon is super sticky and it builds up anywhere inside the combustion chamber and after. If you have carbon build up on the "cold" side of your intake valve you have a separate issue and PFI is not going to solve that.

PFI produces less carbon buildup because it has better atomization of fuel. Modern DI engines are better than past generations because fuel rail pressures are getting much closer to diesel fuel rail pressures (most current GDIs have a low and high pressure fuel pump), and improved injector design leads to better atomization compared to previous generations.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had:

225 TT Roadster*
B7 A4 Quattro
Mustang Ecoboost*

(* = No longer with us, lease or otherwise)

Families had:

RDX (1st*/3rd Gen)
Ford Escape* ('13 2.0t Titanium)
Range Rover (Turbo DIesel)
Optima* ('14 2.0t)
MB C300 (2.0t)

I'm the only one who would let it cool down if it were truly necessary, and yet, they're (were) driven daily with no issue aside from maintenance.

Again, the 80s are over, no need to let it sit and cool down after driving unless ya want to

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Carbon is super sticky and it builds up anywhere inside the combustion chamber and after. If you have carbon build up on the "cold" side of your intake valve you have a separate issue and PFI is not going to solve that.

PFI produces less carbon buildup because it has better atomization of fuel. Modern DI engines are better than past generations because fuel rail pressures are getting much closer to diesel fuel rail pressures (most current GDIs have a low and high pressure fuel pump), and improved injector design leads to better atomization compared to previous generations.
I had to make an account because this was so wrong. You can't think of a way that combustion items could make their way into the cold intake?

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My fist turbo car was a 84 Chrysler Laser. Never had an engine or turbo problem. Traded with 135,000 miles.

next was my wife’s Range Rover Evoke, 2012, she has just over 180,000 miles on it. Zero engine troubles.

I have an 17 F-150 with the 3.5 eco boost. 61,000 miles. Zero engine issues. Lots of power, decent mpg for a 4x4 crew can long bed.

Have no conversation about bronco engines at all. 2.7 is proven as is 10speed.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had to make an account because this was so wrong. You can't think of a way that combustion items could make their way into the cold intake?
Yea fair point, plenty of valve overlap + now with EGR. My point was more intended to say the carbon doesn't just stick to valves; it sticks to everything.

SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I run water injection on my current twin turbo set up ?
Sponsored