Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's crazy if that's the actual specification. The non-plus Torx security bit (in the same picture) has the same six lobes as a regular Torx bit. I've got a new set of non-security Torx plus (confirmed 6 lobes in the product picture) on the way from Amazon. Will report back.
It's like a cartoon I saw one time

Panel one: There are 17 competing standards
Panel two: "That's stupid, why doesn't someone unify everything?"
Panel three: There are now 18 competing standards

Only with fasteners it's exacerbated by the idea of "security" and the fact that no one can agree on naming conventions. Typically a 5 lobe drive is referred to as pentalobe, or in your case pentalobe security. Why people starting calling it TPsecurity is beyond me, and frankly incorrect as far as I'm concerned, but no one asks my opinion on these things.

The idea behind using oddball fasteners like "security" versions is either to make customer self service more difficult, thus channeling business towards "authorized repair shops", or keep novices away from electrical parts. For example Nintendo uses tri-wing screws on their stuff for both reasons.

For the record, Torx Plus is not one of those use cases. TP is actually designed as an addition to the Torx family, and the heads of the bolts are meant to accept regular torx drivers, which is why a T40 driver can turn a TP40 head, though as it's not perfect there is a little looseness. TP is superior to T is pretty much every way, as when applying the proper TP driver it reduces cam-out, and allows more torque to be applied. The downside is TP drivers do not fit in T heads. If T had been skipped completely and only TP been used, the world would have been a better place.

As a side note, buying the "security" versions of all torx bits is not a short cut to having to buy the non-security versions. Security bits are weaker by nature of lack of material, and if you ever get a stuck non-security bolt, you could easily break a security head trying to get it free.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RJC

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

hi
i have same problem with a transmission bolt on BRP unit. i go on BRP dealer and i buy one bolt, after i go on a specialized tools shop with this brand new bolt to try different torx brand name compagny like JET, SNAP ON, HUSKY, SK, and i have found the perfect fit tool torx size with JET. the other brand not fit the bolt perfectly and cost more $$$ they call them tolerance in built tool.
i hope you understand,, my language is french i just try to help you
TRACKTOY
Thank you

OP
OP

RJC

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's like a cartoon I saw one time

Panel one: There are 17 competing standards
Panel two: "That's stupid, why doesn't someone unify everything?"
Panel three: There are now 18 competing standards

Only with fasteners it's exacerbated by the idea of "security" and the fact that no one can agree on naming conventions. Typically a 5 lobe drive is referred to as pentalobe, or in your case pentalobe security. Why people starting calling it TPsecurity is beyond me, and frankly incorrect as far as I'm concerned, but no one asks my opinion on these things.

The idea behind using oddball fasteners like "security" versions is either to make customer self service more difficult, thus channeling business towards "authorized repair shops", or keep novices away from electrical parts. For example Nintendo uses tri-wing screws on their stuff for both reasons.

For the record, Torx Plus is not one of those use cases. TP is actually designed as an addition to the Torx family, and the heads of the bolts are meant to accept regular torx drivers, which is why a T40 driver can turn a TP40 head, though as it's not perfect there is a little looseness. TP is superior to T is pretty much every way, as when applying the proper TP driver it reduces cam-out, and allows more torque to be applied. The downside is TP drivers do not fit in T heads. If T had been skipped completely and only TP been used, the world would have been a better place.

As a side note, buying the "security" versions of all torx bits is not a short cut to having to buy the non-security versions. Security bits are weaker by nature of lack of material, and if you ever get a stuck non-security bolt, you could easily break a security head trying to get it free.
Thanks

Gangstead

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BD 4DR 7MT Soft
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OK the bolts are 100% Torx Plus TP-40. Just make sure not to get Torx Plus Security/Tamper Resistant which has the wrong number of sides (5 vs 6). Regular Torx Security bits are the same in every way except adding a hole, but TP Security has a hole and 5 sides.

Torx Plus 40 on the left, regular Torx 40 Security on the right. Regular T40 bit will work in a pinch, that's what I've been using before getting the plus bits.
Ford Bronco Badlands modular bumper torx bolt size? 1633530122468

Ford Bronco Badlands modular bumper torx bolt size? 1633530084188

I know the bit says "T-40" but I promise it's Torx Plus. Here's the set I got from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082QTHTRD/

The set is very small and I just put it in my Bronco tool bag. The bit fits in the back side of the Bronco socket wrench, also comes with an adapter to fit on a regular socket wrench.

Last edited:

Hartzco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OK the bolts are 100% Torx Plus TP-40. Just make sure not to get Torx Plus Security/Tamper Resistant which has the wrong number of sides (5 vs 6). Regular Torx Security bits are the same in every way except adding a hole, but TP Security has a hole and 5 sides.

Torx Plus 40 on the left, regular Torx 40 Security on the right. Regular T40 bit will work in a pinch, that's what I've been using before getting the plus bits.

I know the bit says "T-40" but I promise it's Torx Plus. Here's the set I got from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082QTHTRD/

The set is very small and I just put it in my Bronco tool bag. The bit fits in the back side of the Bronco socket wrench, also comes with an adapter to fit on a regular socket wrench.
I bought this last night after a frustrating drive to every hardware store in town. The Amazon kit was perfect! Thanks for posting it. Bonus is there’s a flag mounting hole under there!
Ford Bronco Badlands modular bumper torx bolt size? 1F518175-C7A1-4D8A-B5E9-57CCE0F8B5AC

Sponsored

IconicBronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I just used a flat head screwdriver

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought this last night after a frustrating drive to every hardware store in town. The Amazon kit was perfect! Thanks for posting it. Bonus is there’s a flag mounting hole under there!
Ford Bronco Badlands modular bumper torx bolt size? 1F518175-C7A1-4D8A-B5E9-57CCE0F8B5AC
Where is the flag mounting hole?

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is an unused hole under the bumper cap, between the two visible bolts.

Ford Bronco Badlands modular bumper torx bolt size? 20BD21B7-8C46-4865-8A89-65AE985D3A9E
Ford Bronco Badlands modular bumper torx bolt size? 20BD21B7-8C46-4865-8A89-65AE985D3A9E
That's awesome! I made a bracket and checked it in the driver's side, which does not have this hole, so that's why I ask. Great find! Thank you!

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's awesome! I made a bracket and checked it in the driver's side, which does not have this hole, so that's why I ask. Great find! Thank you!
Really? Body modification guide suggests they should be on both sides once you pull the end caps off.

Ford Bronco Badlands modular bumper torx bolt size? 1636425764214

Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really? Body modification guide suggests they should be on both sides once you pull the end caps off.

Ford Bronco Badlands modular bumper torx bolt size? 1636425764214
Huh, I will have to look again, I might have just overlooked it. Thanks.

karijohn007

Outer Banks
First Name
Kari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So what happens if I strip this dumb bolt because it's too tight? How do I get it out (still too tight). (n)😒

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it's not stripped out too badly, I'd try getting a small tube of valve grind compound, putting a bunch in the bolt socket and trying. If that doesn't work, put a ton of masking tape around the bolt so you don't scratch the paint and find a big azz vice-grip, lock it on tight. After it breaks loose it should come out easily.
Ford Bronco Badlands modular bumper torx bolt size? 1651521662897

karijohn007

Outer Banks
First Name
Kari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you, I will stop at the store on the way home and pick some of this up....and try again tonight. 🤞
Sponsored